Macy's Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

2,327 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life Balance cab be a challenge at times (in 293 reviews)

• A lot of pressure to get people to open Macy's credit cards (in 754 reviews)

1. "horrible management"

Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount, friendly and helpful associates

Cons

management, work on weekends and late nights

Advice to Management

appreciate your coworkers and employees

2. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time here the people were nice management overall was nice. The benefits of paid time off was better than most retailers today you earn time off as you go and the point system works if you are a person that shows up for work on time and don't call out.

Cons

New hires at Christmas should be only for recovery and not register trained. To many issues with new hire Christmas associates some don't like to be given direction from seasoned employees or told what they are doing wrong by management I witnessed a lot in my years here with seasonals mouthing back at managers who were trying to get them to do the job correctly if you have them for the floor and they do a great job at cleaning and keeping areas neat then invest in training it will save money and be less stressful to seasoned employees.

Advice to Management

Be more readily available when you call with a problem sometimes the customer is yelling and screaming at you and they want to see a manager if you can't comply call another manager but don't have employees stand and take the heat from customers it does not bode well with your associates whom are just doing their jobs sometimes it is so stressful that you do lose your composure with people. Don't berate employees in front of customers and fellow associates this I have seen done and very unprofessional and when customers see this they make comments.

3. "The vision versus the actuality"

Current Employee - Jewelry Business Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Jewelry Business Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow your own skills. Do provide path to grow your career but is very specific. Consistently trying out new programs, ideas for cutting costs.

Cons

Did-alignment of vision
    Do not respect continuing education, career growth is a very specific path, and if you continue your education, it does not change the fact that they still expect you to complete the specific path. Poor wages for workload, which is consistently increasing while availability for the appropriate resources to actually complete the job diminishes daily. Every stakeholder seems important, except for their employees. Livable wages are a laughable concept.
    Not agile

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that run your stores and interact with your customers on a daily basis, and pay them what they are worth.

5. "Signing team associate"

Current Employee - Signing Team Member in Friendswood, TX
    Current Employee - Signing Team Member in Friendswood, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like my early morning hours

Cons

If you voice your concern about anything, they will cut back your hours! Management sticks together whether or not they are in the wrong!, they don't practice what they preach about discrimination or retaliation!! They show favoritism , which is completely unprofessional

Advice to Management

Get both sides of story and start paying attention to who or what is really causing the problems in the work place! Start looking at who shows up on time and everyday and not on positions they are in. Check in on your staff every once in a while and see how everything is going before matters get worse.

6. "Don"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Alderwood Manor, WA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Alderwood Manor, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility in Schedule, but at the cost of hours available to work

Cons

Managers treat employees in a condescending manner, encouraged through their upper management sector.

They see their employees as expenses, not as the heart of their business.

They allow customers to get away with far too much, costing money to the store and employees. Made me return an empty jar of cream for a repeat offender. They undermine the importance of the employee in front of the customer, yet tell the employees that they are "empowered to make decisions based on the best for the customer"

Attract low-end demographics with their discounts and easy return-abuse, but want their employees to believe they are high-end store.

They hate their higher-paid employees. I wish I was joking. They will focus on how to fire them when sales are down, and they want high turn-over to avoid vacation pay and wage increases.

Advice to Management

Shape up. Treat people with respect.

7. "Receiving Team Manager"

Former Employee - Receiving Team Manager in Friendswood, TX
    Former Employee - Receiving Team Manager in Friendswood, TX

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Left to do your job (not micromanaged)

Cons

They work you until you can't take it anymore.

8. "just ok"

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

discount for merchandise, the people

Cons

pay, commission based, you are forced to have people apply for credit

9. "Commissioned Sales associate"

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule that you can manage by adding shifts or advertising shifts for other associates. And 25% associate discount (not much more than the 15% that Macy's card owners get, but still not bad).

Cons

Lots of work for $9 an hour and lots of pressure to hit sales goals and credit card sign up goals. You have to harass every client to open a Macy's card and they usually are really uninterested, but your job depends on you getting sign ups.

Plus, management often puts either put 2+ workers in a section, pitting them against each other to get sales and sign ups until one associate gives up and just focuses on cleaning up the fitting rooms while the other makes all the sales, or 1 associate is assigned to work way more areas than possible. Then customers complain that the associates are not at cash registers, all like, "I've been waiting here for minutes", and you have to explain that it's because aside from doing sales and sign ups, you also have to keep the selling floor and fitting rooms clean, pick up the phone, do "buy online pick up in store" sales, help customers find stuff/ check prices, etc.

Customers are honestly savages in the fitting rooms and at the racks, they don't care about the associates having to clean up after their mess, and most of the time, they don't know that the person working the sales is also in charge of cleaning up after them.

Also, very often, customers try to guilt associates into giving them discounts. It's obnoxious, awkward, and can get associates in trouble. They also complain endlessly and sometimes ask to see a manager if you tell them that their coupon doesn't work because there are a ton of items that are excluded from sales (certain brands, everything in last act, etc) or their coupon is expired. Associates can change the prices when necessary, but they can also get in a lot of trouble if they abuse that power. So it creates this problem that customers are all like, "can you help me out?", or "well I bought this the other day from another Macy's and the price wasn't the same", and so on.

Also, sales are ALWAYS happening, and they sometimes overlap, so it's a pain in to keep up with them and you always have people trying to get the discounts that often don't work for their purchase.

They make the employees close the register exactly when the store closes, so after that, employees have to hall butt to close the register and put away often endless "go backs". When you're the only person in charge of more than one area, this can get pretty stressful. If the areas that you were in charge of are not clean in the morning, you get in trouble, regardless if they were understaffed.

By the way, they turn off half the lights right after the store closes, so employees have to put back a ton of clothes in the dark. This problem also happens in the morning before customers come, when employees are scouring the selling floor to find 1 particular item that someone ordered. The item might not even be on the freaking selling floor by the way.

Oh, and commission is TOTAL BS. It's not worth making a huge effort to hit sales goals because you're going to make very little from surpassing sales goals. The only thing that sales goals achieve is that they pit associates against each other. Oh, and you might have hit or surpassed your selling goals, but if a customer you sold to returns their items, you can end up in 'deficit' and get in trouble for not selling enough. This is a big problem because after a customer buys something, they are often wait for whatever they got to go on sale so they can return it and get it for the cheaper, thus decreasing your sales and benefiting another associate.

The most I made in a week from commission was $13, and that's at a time when I was working more than full time, and I was a very hard worker.

Lastly, seniority has no effect on sales and credit goals. An associate who has been working at Macy's for 30 years has the same sales and credit goals as an associate has on their first day. That's ridiculous.

Oh, and the store is usually pretty dusty/ dirty and most of the price checkers don't work. Management just cleans up before their higher ups come to inspect the store.

Advice to Management

Fix the problems listed above.

10. "Sales associates are friendly, but that's about it."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Pros and cons are strictly about the store itself, not corporate.

- Sales associates and stock associates are amazing.
    - Flexible hours if people will trade shifts

Cons

- Most sales managers forget that they, too, work a not-so-glamorous retail job. So many unprofessional managers who think they're at Bergdorfs.
    - Managers rely completely on other associates to train you
    - Too much emphasis on shoving new promotions and Macy's credit cards down customers' throats
    - It's ridiculously cold in the winter
    - Little room for growth. A "promotion" means moving to a different floor.
    - Constantly having to ask managers to pay you for paid time off

Advice to Management

- Macy's Herald Square isn't special because of the multiple Starbucks locations or the "Macy's money" you seem to give out every day. It's because of your associates. Give them a reason to stay.

11. "Working at macys for a little over a year"

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Its easy to schedule your time off. Its also easy to add more shifts to your schedule if you don't have a lot of hours. Coworkers are nice and friendly.

Cons

I applied for a sales position and when they hire me they put me in a support position. When I tried to do a department transfer they wouldn't let me do it. So now I have to work in a position I didn't apply for. Also the managers promote off of favoritism and not off of hard work or who has the most education or experience. With that kind of thing going on good luck with trying to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism and promote the hardest worker or at least the one with the most experience. Its only fair. Hire people in the position they actually applied for.

Showing 2,327 of 12,726 reviews