Macy's Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette

13,523 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life Balance cab be a challenge at times (in 335 reviews)

• I didn't feel morally right trying to convince people to open up credit cards when I could tell that it wasn't a good decision for them (in 802 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's is RICH with tradition and heritage which makes you feel very proud to be a member of an American Icon. Macy's has a lot of power and weight in the industry which makes it fun to do your job. Macy's understands how important it is to truly focus on the customer and make "Magic" with everything you do. It isn't all about numbers, its about positive customer experiences which ultimately lead to results.

Cons

Like any huge company, there are redundancies with jobs, which makes it difficult to get an answer to a problem or question. Although Macy's tries to move faster, due to the companies size, we often miss business opportunities that smaller competitors act quicker on. Macy's size and power is its greatest strength but also its greatest weakness.

Advice to Management

Macy's is a truly fun company to work for however Macy's executives (not all) have difficulty embracing change, especially tenured members, making it difficult to innovate.

2. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great career, fun people, advancement opportunities

Cons

hours limitations can be stressful

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Macy's has a great working atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

It is a great place to work if you love retail and is one of the top deparment stores in the world. The atmosphere is very friendly and is very well run.

Cons

With a bad economy retail feels the hit so it may not always have a stable job market.

Advice to Management

They are very knowledgeable and want to make Macy's a great department store and a good place to work at. They are constantly trying to find ways to improve their stores and please their customers.

"Macy's great place to work"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Austin, TX

Pros

Great work environment. Time never goes by slowly. Always something different. I am just writing this review so I can look at another review. I do feel that Macy's is a great place to work and would recommend it to others. My boss is the best boss I've ever had. He doesn't hover and respects that he has trained me to do my job well and only steps in when necessary. Macy's has great people who work for them and help the day pass by with ease. Working as a team is very important for Macy's employees. Hope my review was helpful.

Cons

The benefits package is expensive for what you get. I don't feel it is worth it. I have a college degree and don't feel that my pay is as good as it should be. I cannot write a hundred words about downsides of Macy's because I can't think of any. I enjoy working there and would highly recommend it to anyone. Working at Macy's has taught me a lot and I feel most people would benefit for working in the environment they provide. I am now just typing to fill in the minimum word amount. Sorry for not having more negative things to say.

Advice to Management

none

"Macy's really is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Technical Designer in New York, NY

Pros

In my experience I had wonderful supervisors and superiors that were always willing to teach and share their knowledge. There is a lot of room for growth and advancement at Macy's. Also there is a special training program that was implemented while I was working there specifically for entry level positions that is actually a lot of fun. Besides the work aspect, Macy's is very involved in the community and giving back which is very rewarding. This entails lots of fun events that employees can take part in that raise a great deal of money for those in need.

Cons

My one complaint was the consistency in the workload. It was either super busy or nothing at all. Also, some of my peers in more creative positions often complained that not enough creative freedom was allowed.

Advice to Management

Continue with the mentoring and knowledge sharing for entry level employees and the training program. It's very helpful.

6. "Ideal company for the corporate retail driven person who wants to still maintain a balanced personal life"

Former Employee - Assistant Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Planner in New York, NY

Pros

Macy's Home store believed in providing an opportunity for one to rise up the ranks with all the proper training and mentorship needed through each person's individual career development plan. Many different programs and classes supplemented my on-the-job training and was accessible to me via in class training and also behind my desk personal training, both available for my use anytime. Not only did they have a very strong infrastructure, they had a very strong team which emphasized working together while stil in a competitive environment and many providing opportunities for 2-way communication between upper management and subordinates. Along with that comment, the people cared about you. A great emphasis was placed on respect, which translated in to upper management being more than just bosses, but mentors.

Cons

Macy's Home Store unfortunately does not have training or easy bridges for those who want to get into Ready to Wear or other division such as Product Development. Therefore, if you don't like home products--then it would be difficult to fully embrace the career development program. However, mentors and bosses do want to help you get what you want and get to your goals.
    The other downside of Macy's Home Store is that you can grow very comfy here and you might not feel challenged at times because you only make it as challenging as you want to. Meaning, most bosses do not yell and scream at you for work to get done and sometimes, a lack of urgency could be felt if there is no personal drive or passion for the job you are doing.

Advice to Management

Senior management should continue to provide the daily touch bases and be more frequently involved in providing mini-business projects to newcomers.

7. "Goning to miss it!"

Current Employee - Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Planner in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is a great company atmosphere. Initiative and creativity is encourage. Exceptional performance is rewarded. The Work - Life balance is encouraged. Management is knowledgable and invovled. Great professional development and training classes.

Cons

The big downside is that they are down sizing. The office is going away late April.

Advice to Management

Good luck in future endeavors.

8. "An outstanding place to work, but work is the optimal term"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Champaign, IL

Pros

The company is very person oriented. They want the individual to succeed and in this desire, they do everything that they can to make sure that their associates have the right tools for the job at hand. They provide regular incentive to the associates for completion of work and tasks, and keep the goals clear and in front of their associates at all times. The expectations are made clear, and if you cannot perform, then they work with you to help you turn around. Its not a job for everyone. Must have product knowledge, be willing to learn and sale, and be highly customer service motivated.

Cons

The job can get frustrating from peers who do not have high ambitions for themselves or for their career growth. The environment is only as good as the employees at the store, and if a few bum members on the team are leaving others to carry the slack, then it can make the work experience frustrating. The employee needs to know that they're there to work, and that their responsibility is to the company clock, but like most retail jobs I've seen, some are more inclined to believe that its about spending time with their friends.

An additional irritation to the job is the requirement to sign individuals up for the Macy's Credit cards. While this is an integral part of continual loyalty and building a customer base, the honest truth is that not everyone wants a credit card. The associate needs to put aside their beliefs and understand that they are selling a product and that this product is only in the consumer's benefit When you can think like that about it, then it makes it easier to sell, and easier to talk about.

Advice to Management

Management as a whole understands their associates, and that I'm proud of. The problem lies in associates who don't understand management and the larger goals of the corporation. I'd advice management to try to help these associates understand the bigger impact they're making.

9. "Macy's good place for students to work."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eugene, OR

Pros

- Very flexible
    - Allowed for time off
    - They gave good recognition on jobs that were done well
    - The ability to earn commission off of sales of shoes, and fragrances is an added bonus
    - Weekly give aways to the employees who worked hard, and achieved their sales goals
    - Large give aways of up $1000 in the store
    - The manager made sure the employees were safe
    - Called to allow employees to have the option of not coming in to work because of black ice on the roads
    - 20% discount on all goods, plus discount with using the card

Cons

There really aren't too many downsides to working at Macy's West. Other than that you can expect to make minimum wage when you start, and it takes awhile to advance, but thats like most places. Another downside is having to stand all day, which can be a bother on your feet especially if your shoes are uncomfortable.
    Another downside is sometimes you get a customer who is extremely rude, and you have to be able to put on a happy face, and take being berated at for some obscure problem that you may or may not have been involved with.

Advice to Management

I would say for them to continue what they're doing. They did a good job of making sure the employees were safe and taken care of, and didn't demand them to do anything that was out of their job description.

10. "Happy, but looking for more."

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

Pros

As a merchander I am able to come in early in the morning while my children are at school and be home when they get home from school. I don't have to work on weekends. The store discount comes in great. Promoting within the company is always a good reason to work for a company. They also work around my schedule.

Cons

Not enought hours to get your work load done. Right now they are downsizing the company . A number of people that you no longer has jobs. It's tough seeing people you learn to know now do have a job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates concerns. If you have good employees let them know that they are doing a good job. We all can learn from each other.

Showing 13,523 of 13,800 reviews