Macy's Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Denim Rotator"

Former Employee - Denim Rotator in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Denim Rotator in Roseville, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy in most decisions about my product on the sales floor. Coworkers were great and most management was supportive.

Cons

Low pay for what you are asked to do. Only way to move up is through sales management, which is not what everyone is looking for!

Advice to Management

Know your employees and be supportive of their concerns.

2. "good"

Pros

decent place to work nice people

Cons

not a high rate of pay or raises

3. "Macys"

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is an overall great culture, and amazing coworkers. The work is fast paced, but the company is flexible and fair with your schedule

Cons

Compensation not in line with market, promotions not always based on experience, effective collaboration outside of team is sometimes challenging.

4. "Great People/Awesome Opportunity, Outdated Systems/Terrible Training"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management and selling associate team at Macy's is great. I love the atmosphere and the teams wins attitude. We also do a lot of community outreach events and I appreciate the various programs we have that donate to great causes and the organizations that we partner with. e

Cons

I think that Macy's is really inconsistent. You could get great customer service at one and horrible customer service at another. I admit we also don't have the best training programs. Their training is basically a couple days of awful videos and then they throw you onto the floor and wish you good luck. You could end up closing a whole department by yourself on your first night there's just no way of knowing..

Advice to Management

As a manager I would suggest that Macy's develops a more hands on training program. I would also suggest that they come up with some sort of coaching program that requires all managers to coach to the same thing each week. This may take care of the inconsistencies. Corporate also need to update their SP Manager and POS system because system failures on Black Friday and Cyber Week makes everyones life a living hell.

5. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Good environment to be a team member in. Schedules are flexible in that you can have a fair say in your hours.

Cons

Resetting floor displays from left behind messes and misplaced items can be a silly thing to have to spend time on, but, that is part of the job.

Advice to Management

It's always nice to have a similar team to work as a part of. Difficult to balance, because employees want to set their hours and also work with certain coworkers at same time. Perhaps an initiative to counter the selfishness of wanting purely own schedule, that emphasizes the effectiveness of good team cohesion.

6. "Operations"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

co-workers, environment, and is a flexible place to work

Cons

compensation was difficult, but after a while

7. "Good employer overall - seasonal employee"

Current Employee - Asset Protection in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, nice co workers and customers, employee friendly, flexible scheduling, good online website for employees, great employee discount on merchandise, nice break rooms and they make sure you get your breaks on time.

Cons

Minimum wage pay, old registers, too loud music overhead, more room for advancement for current employees, sometimes communication from management is lacking.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more and staff more during holidays. Feels like corporate is penny wise / pound foolish sometimes in their thinking.

8. "Good Hours"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

A lot of hours, good for the holiday

Cons

also of co- workers

9. "Seller"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The pay had compensation which was nice when I worked hard to sell products

Cons

It was during Christmas so of course, were a lot of people looking to purchase gifts

Advice to Management

I worked there for short time so overall I didn't get to see 100% of the job environment, however I did not come across any problems.

10. "Great place to work in"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Elmhurst, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Elmhurst, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a flexible schedule and the co-workers are nice for the most part. They give you Macy money for opening credit or other offers, which is very rewarding. There's health benefits and job stability. And, a 20% employee discount as the cherry on top.

Cons

It can be very confusing at first, since most of the time, managers don't contact new associates, and you have to make sure to pick up shifts on their website. The training isn't very useful, as you have to always keep asking questions, and learn from experience along the way rather than being groomed properly.

Advice to Management

They should improve the training sessions, and pay attention to new associates whether they are understanding the schedule system or not.

Showing 14,367 of 14,671 reviews