Macy's Reviews in Richmond, VA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life Balance cab be a challenge at times (in 335 reviews)

• I didn't feel morally right trying to convince people to open up credit cards when I could tell that it wasn't a good decision for them (in 802 reviews)

1. "One of the better companies"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, opportunities for career advancement, ability to work in other departments

Cons

Low pay, high sales goals

Advice to Management

Attempt to see things from the view of a sales associate before implementing new policies.

2. "Beauty Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

the employee discount, some of the employees were really nice, was able to pick up a lot of extra shifts

Cons

the pay is horrible, the commission is a joke (1%), they expect you to sell and make the company a lot of money and when you do you aren't compensated properly for it

Advice to Management

Raise the pay and maybe the moral of the employees will increase. Increase the commission rates and the employees are more likely to want to sell more products for your company with a smile on their face.

"Fair to middle"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

The discount, the coworkers, opportunities for advancement,

Cons

The long hours on your feet, weekends, if you want to advance, be ready to move out of state

Advice to Management

Give us the tools and the power to let us do our job and service the customer.
    Lip service is not enough. Let us take our breaks - even if we are management.

"I did'nt like it, managers treat you very bad, for small things!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

Pros

Discounts, macy's money, shift swaps

Cons

Bad treat from managers to employees, no benefits for part-timers

Advice to Management

Treat better your employees.

"Sales Associate - you need a thick skin"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule options, great for self-starters due to the volume and variety of responsibilities, in-house hr department, first choice whether or not to take on more hours around the holidays

Cons

difficult to change schedule/position options rapidly (ie from part time to full time), constant understaffing, management team is not always available to talk about raises/position changes, black out dates limit available days to take off, insulting starting pay rate

Advice to Management

I would advise staffing according to daily consumer demand, giving each worker the minimum amount of hours their position defines, cutting hours when consumer volume is low, and having a respectable starting pay rate.

6. "Not bad for a LP job"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store overall had good workers that would listen and perform LP policies.
    The LPM was a good one, had good knowledge.
    Basically make my schedule with a few exceptions.

Cons

Camera systems were dated.
    Good boss, but did use me as a reason for him to work early shifts.
    Boss didn't answer his phone much.

Advice to Management

Support your LP staff a little more. Remember what it was like when you were in the shoes and work that.

"Worked in the HR department of store"

Former Employee - Macy's Administrative Support Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Macy's Administrative Support Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Store manager and most department managers were really great individuals genuinely trying to meet the demands of the job.

Would recommend as a quick job in a pinch. A good option for someone wanting to move up into management or find a management training program.

Cons

Poor compensation. The sales quotas are very high and the rewards for meeting them is insulting. Only a livable wage if you are management or in a commissioned position- Which are a very limited positions.

Too many tasks on the office side. Macy's seems to be cutting costs on labor with slumped sales. This lead to having to juggle too many tasks with too few hours. Coupled with the poor compensation, the job wasn't worth it.

I was sorry to see great managers (in my location) in the store have their hands tied to solve problems due to the inflexibility of the business model set out by Macy's corporate.

Advice to Management

Try to find ways to encourage and reward employees so you wont lose them to apathy or lack of attendance. The money and Macy's rewards are very small and not motivating.

Macy's corporate needs to find ways to empower store management, regain control over the scheduling of their own employees and offer more motivating rewards. Macy's HR department needed better training and more hours to meet the varied demands of the job.

"Macys so different from what it use to be. Major Change is needed ."

Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cant think of anything aside from the discounts, the sales, the customers and fellow associates. You also have the option to select your work availability .

Cons

everything,mamagememt,lack of associates. To grow your customers you have to grow your team to accommodate. and really care about the customer,not just because you are in competition with other stores. It has to be about more than the $$ and the Macys Star REWARDS AKA Macys credit card.

Advice to Management

Hire Hire Hire ..one person cant assist 5-10 customers at one time ,nor can you open the doors on A super Saturday with one person and expect to receive a good survey. Theres no magic in that philosophy accept to save money and put more in corporate pockets.

"okay, but not good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

useful employee discount
    learn a lot about retail
    sense of community
    online schedule program makes it easy to plan your own work schedule

Cons

difficult to advance/they only promote you if you open a lot of credit cards
    too many responsibilities
    not enough staff
    confusing sale signs make it difficult to explain to the customer how the prices work

Advice to Management

seriously you can't give the associates a million responsibilities and then not schedule/hire enough people to work. a big problem at my store is lack of staff but when customers can't find someone to help them because everyone is already busy helping someone else, we get blamed for not being "visible and willing to assist." hire. more. people. you definitely have enough money to do it.

10. "Poor training, impersonal and confusing."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Online computerized schedule, weekly paycheck.

Cons

Misleading and inconvenient shift scheduling for seasonal employees, lack of appropriate on the job training, confusing store markings of pricing and merchandise organization, lack of direct manager, impersonal.

Advice to Management

Communicate store specials/updates/information to employees so that they will be able to answer customer questions. Don't mislead employees by telling them they can select their shifts and then pre-scheduling them for everything.

Showing 14 of 13,819 reviews