Macy's Reviews in Riverside, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Great perks
    Great commission
    Great people
    Great managers

Cons

Work during holidays
    No weekends off

2. "lots of hours during holidays"

Current Employee - Recovery Associate in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Recovery Associate in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of hours during the holidays

Cons

makes you work weekends and hours by week outside the holidays

"AP Manager"

Current Employee - Asset Protection Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learn about the business and learn how to make sure the store is profitable. Macys invest in their people through engagement and delivering results

Cons

If you're a workaholic then this is the perfect place. Every day is busy and will keep you going. Always something to do. If your not busy you're not doing something right.

4. "Started out great but after a year I was over it and needed more."

Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I LOVED the people I worked with- really the only reason I stayed so long. Even most of the management is awesome, but I just wished they focused on employees' overall being and happiness more.
    - You can meet some really interesting people and connections along the way. I even had several customers at one point helping me find jobs or gave my career/life advice, because they knew what I was capable of. It was really motivating and nice.
    - Management never really bothered me because they all knew I'd do my job and do it well and knew I was capable of getting a much better job so they wouldn't over push me. It was nice because I kind of did my own thing and was able to focus on the job tasks that I loved (helping certain customers, visual, and merchandising). This is what they should be doing, because everyone has their own strengths and I think it'd help the store perform better.
    - I loved the department I worked in. It was my style and age group so a lot of the customers were also younger. I liked being able to work around clothing that made me happy and finding good deals on things I'd wear was a bonus.
    - Flexible scheduling was nice. Being able to have 3 unavailable days a month is awesome and PTO was generous. I believe I had about 8 full days after a year of working with Macys. Being able to swap with people and advertise my shifts was great too and I liked being able to pick up other hours around the store. I liked being able to have one set day and one set night off a week. The only negative about our scheduling was that I felt like it was constantly the same people opening and the same people closing, so that should be changed or worked on.

Cons

- The pay. I get it. It's a minimum wage job so you're not going to be paid a lot, but for everything thy expect out of us (store sales goals, presell goals, credit goals, clientelling, Thanks For Sharing goals, recovery, customer service, ringing, cleaning fitting room, go backs, magic, helping AP, etc..) it's a lot and we should be paid more. They stress the quarterly bonus, but it's lame. For a full-time employee working about 32-40 hours and 5-6 days a week I'd get $100- $130 for 3 months. They want you to hit all of these goals but don't want to compensate or incentivize employees more/better.
    - No promotional opportunity at least within my store. Numerous times I sought an opportunity because I knew no one else would help me and I was constantly turned down because management wouldn't back me and/or would say something about me that was untrue. I expressed my interest with visual and merchandising and was told they'd help me find a position within and never would. I talked to probably every manager in every department. I was always told that I'm so capable and should be doing more, but was never helped. Very frustrating.
    - There are cranky, entitled, and messy customers. You have to have thick skin and be able to stand your ground but not be too mean about it. If you don't or can't do that, then this isn't the right job for you.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your associates (specifically in sales) because ultimately we are the faces of the company and we see how things sell (or don't), how floor changes affect sales, what works and what what doesn't, etc. I would suggest/make comments about floor moves, mannequins, business goals, etc and they wouldn't listen because "I'm just a sales associate" (even though I have two Business degrees and have worked in customer service and on the business end). Then something would happen and it would either plummet or skyrocket. Management- some people on the sales floor know a thing or two..
    - Pay your hardworking associates better!! The annual $0.25 "raise" is ridiculous. That "raise" is given to everyone, even the associates who don't show up to work or don't do their job. I was a hardworking specialist who was able to make a $300 bonus monthly before the company got rid of the positions so a raise as such is a slap in the face.
    - PROMOTE your good people! I sought out many opportunities and was constantly told "something better might come" or "you never know what positions the company might open up. I gave up and Macys lost a good employee. Help the good employees or direct them in the path they want to go in.

5. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay is the only good thing.

Cons

Worse management. Not the people but the system part of it. Macy’s does not value their employees Macy’s only cares about the store operating.

6. "Starter job for sales experience"

Former Employee - Fragrance Specialist in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Fragrance Specialist in Victorville, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and gratis for the beauty department

Cons

Low pay, Disorganized management,
    Management playing favorites,
    Technically not full time hours even if you're hired for full time

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites

7. "Working at Macy’s"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet a lot of nice people and i love working fragrances/ Cosmetics

Cons

Not enough hours through the week

8. "Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part time work is flexible with my school schedule. Associates are pleasant to work with here, no drama. Associates receive a discount on merchandise.

Cons

Working retail, or are required to work nights, holidays, and weekends. Nothing negative towards the company, it's just part of working retail.

Advice to Management

This store's management i actually pretty great. From the store manager on down. I've worked a several places and this is the best management team I've worked with.

"Support/Merchandise Associate"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount,Extra employee discounts on selected dates.

Cons

Physically Intensive,Easily lifting 70 pounds or more,Skipping Breaks, Easy to get injuries,Poor hours,Low wages,less opportunities,Education/Degree does not improve advancement,Technologically lacking,Political hierarchy.

Advice to Management

None, Too late to the race, behind the pack, lots to improve but not willing to listen to the little people(Workers) on how to fix issues.Besides management's inability to see issues on the ground level they will not invest in Technology in stores.

10. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility for school
    discounts were amazing

Cons

work environment was tense due to managment and other co- wokers

Showing 103 of 16,594 reviews