Macy's Reviews in Sacramento, CA | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Pay, Management communication with employees, open Thanksgiving Day

2. "Good Company, Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay (if you work in a commission area),
    Associate discounts,
    Competitive environment

Cons

The management (at the Sacramento/Arden stores) is atrocious. The shoes manager was one of only three or four good managers who actually followed policy. The rest ignore company policy constantly return damaged items and bend the rules just so they can keep their bonuses (that's the rumor at least).

Also, the store I worked at pushed "At Your Service," a "convenience" feature that let us look up customers with just their phone number. Sounds good, until you realize the management pushes us hard to do it and most customers don't want their card so easily accessible by anyone. Other associates have had to add people to this service WITHOUT their knowledge just so they can keep their hours. Now, hundreds of shoppers CCs are accessible by anyone who knows their phone number or by the associate.

Advice to Management

Stop bending the rules. We get the same customers constantly returning damaged and used items and most of you keep bending your knee to them like they own you. It's insulting that you'll throw away money to the same customers just because "they have a Macy's card and are loyal customers," as one manager put it.

3. "Working in retail...."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts, flexibility, co workers, able to swap shifts if you have school/ second job

Cons

Management does not care about you

Advice to Management

We are not robots

4. "No Magic..."

Current Employee - On-Call Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - On-Call Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Macy's is the CEO is trying to bring the company current by addressing loss prevention & racial profiling, gender neutral bathrooms, making a booklet outlining methods for 100 ways of magic which speak on many downsides of retail, offers solutions, and wants to encourage upward mobility. Unfortunately, the store I work in is not adhering to any of it.
    You are paid weekly and have access to your personnel, schedules, messages, etc. Unfortunately, you may select to work in one dept. & end up in a dept. you know nothing about because of staff shortage and/or the manager is "offering" your service to be passive aggressive.
    Not every store is cut throat, you may get a great manager and it makes 100% difference. They are pro diversity on many levels.

Cons

Well...my store is probably an exception but there is a lot of favortism, nepotism, incompetence and clique like behavior starting at the top. You will not feel confident or competent because you only hear the negative and it isn't often delivered professionally. No one knows where anyone or anything is at urgent times. You may run out of bags, need to replace register tape or need help with a transaction and no one is available and customers are getting annoyed. Managers have favorites so if you seek a solution to an issue with another employee, it may create more tension. Loss prevention will make you feel uncomfortable and often angry. Having someone check your clutch purse and inspect a chap stick to determine if it is stolen makes zero sense when the company carries so many products not exclusive to Macy's. They do not check everyone's bags. Employees who steal can take products out to their car at lunch/break making the bag check redundant. Loss prevention spends more time watching staff or stereotypical customers they are unsuccessful. Not dressing business casual does not mean "suspicious."
    This is one store and it is not reflective of all stores.

Advice to Management

Separate business from camaraderie. Staff seem happy because you are a manager & not because they actually respect you. Sorry you developed a friendship or work with a relative or partner, hold people's accountability to equal standards staff know who you value more. 9/10 managers are aware of the problem or created the problem and need to be leaders and resolve what is causing attrition. No one is going to give honest feedback for fear of retaliation, find a way to get in touch with what is going on in your dept. or store. Be leaders.

5. "Working at Macy's"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are:
    flexibility- you can work different shifts and depending on the time of year/season, there are a lot of available shifts
    weekly pay- you get a check every week
    location- there is a store within a small radius in the state of California so it's easily accessible
    They are always hiring
    It's a stepping stone and not all stores are the same.

Cons

The cons
    Management- the worst part about Macy's is the people who would make great managers choose not to and the people who are in management are not going to treat you in a way that you feel respected. It can be very hard on your esteem if you are looking at upward mobility and do not feel valued, have not been trained, only get feedback that is criticizing you and the culture is cut throat.
    You may apply to work in a department and find that you are put in another department, stock room or somewhere else if you are seeking specific experience in the place you apply.
    You may get stuck working longer than anticipated or find that you don't get treated fairly.
    There is a lot of nepotism and favoritism.
    You need thick skin or a good support system because it can get depressing knowing the amount of back stabbing, biased and mean girl/boy behavior that happens.

Advice to Management

Management is part of the problem. You know what the problems are but choose not to look at what your part is. There is no advice you are not aware of already needed to improve the current custom.
    Corporate needs to stop telling the managers/stores when they are coming to visit because you see a false representation of the actual store operations, you see things according to a week's planning and not as they are. Visit stores when no one expects you if you want the reality.

6. "Great part-time job"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good part-time benefits( dental & vision ), you can opt in for others at a very reduced cost, life insurance, disability. 401K with employer match. Paid holidays after 1 year + time & a half. You accrue other paid holidays for the number of hours you work. Flexible schedule to a point you can trade and advertise shifts but you have to be in a department withe enough employees to make that possible. I work in a department with very few employees , so its almost impossible to change schedule. Its minimum wage but you add in the benefits & if you happen to make it into a commission department, you can make $15-$17 an hour.

Cons

For the most part the only break you get is for lunch, no 15 minute breaks. So its hard on the feet & back. There is very little if no opportunity for advancement,managers are chosen by popularity rather than by experience & skills. Its a little like a sorority house with the cute & popular girls getting all the perks.
    Customers can be very rude & demanding & if they don't get their way they scream for a manager & managers always cave & NEVER support the associate. So as an associate when the customer volume escalates we have learned just give them what they ask for because management is going to give it to them anyway & on top of it reward their bad behavior with a $25 gift card.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is a barbie & skill & experience come in many packages. Support your associates, nothing makes you feel lower than low than when you say no to a customer & a manager comes along and says yes. We can enjoy being an employee without all the ra-ra and songs & rallies . Don't make morning rallies mandatory. Improve communication about changes, promos and discounts .

7. "mscys"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

almost free dress. Paid weekly

Cons

big turnover with managers, favoritism

Advice to Management

no favoritism towards employees, better recognition of accomplishments

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great, they made the job bearable.

Cons

horrible pay. Would not follow through on incentives. SO many call outs = long hours (always asked to stay over) . Rude/entitled customers. Understaffed. I could go on and on

Advice to Management

Pay raise. Hire more people, the bottom line is if you don't have enough people working, employees will keep on quitting. No one wants to work long hours with rude customers and no help.

9. "Packer"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

I love warehouse I like too pick I love pricing I have over 20+yrs in warehouse I also worked at Amazon

Cons

I loved everything about my job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "College Student"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are a great company to work for when you are looking for an entry level job, they are very flexible with hours (great for college students) and they have amazing discounts!

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

Showing 68 of 16,965 reviews