Macy's Reviews in Saint Petersburg, FL | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Seasonal associate"

Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Flexible shifts but very seasonal with chance of post season work. Good management, but pay is entry level.

Cons

Pay is entry level. Promotion is limited at the store level. Must wear black for men.

Advice to Management

Better training, more information on post seasonal plans and opportunities.

2. "Pros / Cons"

Former Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none discrimination with race, body modifications, gender, sexuality

Cons

lazy employees and management

"Macy's management is what makes your time there unbearable."

Former Employee - Retail Stock Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Stock Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like a lot of time off and barely any hours, this is perfect for you. No no, seriously.

Cons

The one pro. Schedule changes will drive you crazy and affect your attendance points that never replenish. If you have a life and need to call out, they immediately forget about you. They pretty much only want to hear you figured it out. Hard work for no pay.

4. "Recognizes performance"

Former Employee - Credit Services Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Credit Services Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment. Company does great job in recognizing performance.

Cons

Hourly wage could be a bit more due to the performance standards.

Advice to Management

Department staff should review and rate calls not auditing.

5. "The worst retail job available"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission
    Online scheduling
    Online system for calling out so it is less awkward
    This wants twenty words but I don't have any more pros.

Cons

Co workers
    Terrible work environment
    Harassment from managers and fellow employees
    None of the managers ever managed to learn my name and I wore a name tag
    Point system for calling out
    Low hourly rate

Advice to Management

Train employees on more than just the computer

"worst job"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commision was good if you sold things well. Flexible schedule you can trade and call out shifts through website.

Cons

Co-workers fight over who's sale is who's, managersdon't enforce rules, worse work environment I've ever had in sales.

Advice to Management

Enforce your rules on everyone and fire bad employees instead of good ones.

7. "Don"

Former Employee - Authorizations Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Authorizations Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Great company culture, Awesome team members

Cons

Poor HR, Managers are cliquish and choose favorites

Advice to Management

When an employee comes to you with a real HR related matter against a manager, hear them out!

8. "Fun"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance...love the people I work with and the location.

Cons

None...I have no complaints..I don't like selling credit cards but you get rewards for having one.

Advice to Management

Great management at my store, we have the best.

9. "Friendly environment but there are some roadblocks"

Current Employee - Women's Shoe Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Women's Shoe Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All my fellow employees are very friendly and helpful. You really feel like a team when working there especially on the busiest sale days. Macy's has a very helpful employee website that let's you do everything from choosing what hours you prefer to be scheduled, switching your shifts with other employees, choosing unavailable days as well as PTO days, picking up shifts, keeping track of your paychecks and company policies all in one place. Macy's has a lot of trust in their employees expecting all of them to be self empowered to make the best decisions to satisfy customers. Their POS makes this very possible. An employee can do everything from changing the pricing of items, applying coupon codes, search for items online and in all stores, as well as ordering items etc. In most cases if there is a problem that a customer has put you at fault for, depending on the management, will give you a benefit of a doubt that you did your best and the customer is just being difficult. If you have any issues yourself inside and outside of work the company is very willing to work with you to make sure your time working there is as stress free as possible.

Cons

If you work in a position that is commission then Macy's will only give you the lowest minimum wage as your base pay. In my experience I have only seen commission once and it was $24. My fellow co-workers who have worked there for years haven't seen commission for months or a year or two so the only way to really make money is to work as many hours as possible. You must also try to make your sales goal daily. If you don't you will go into what they call a deficit where you start owing the company money. Which means you will start seeing your paychecks slowly disappear. Although Macy's makes it easy for you to control your shifts they have this attendance credit system you must keep track of as well. This system isn't in place to benefit you but for Macy's to keep on track of people who are tardy or absent. If you are 9 or more minutes late to work then you get a half of point taken away. If you miss a full you get a full point taken away. You gain a full point only after two weeks of perfect attendance. Which is very difficult if you so happen to take the bus for example or have to move. It doesn't matter you will lose points. Medical benefits are not available to everyone. You must be in a full time position and maintain 40 hours a week or your eligibility for it changes. One very awful thing that I find quite stressful is the push on opening store credit cards for every associate. It's mandatory an associate opens a minimum of one or two credits per week. It's more if you're full time. If you don't open at least one every week you must be spoken to by the manager and be retaught on how to open one every single time.

Advice to Management

I would like to see the policy on store credits be changed so the load isn't so tough on the associates especially during the slow season when opening credits is at the most difficult. Customers don't like to be badgered into making changes to their credit.

"The magic of Macy's? What Magic?"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give an opportunity to earn money to virtually anyone.

Cons

Seasonal workers are paid minimum wage and given the "incentive" of earning unlimited commission. The trouble is the "daily goal" is deliberately set so absurdly high that almost no-one ever receives a penny in commission. The regular workers ensure that the lucrative shifts are taken, leaving the opening and graveyard shifts for seasonal workers. The workers who open up spend at least an hour every morning cleaning up the mess left by the closing workers the night before. Seasonal workers are often asked to spend a lot of "selling" time doing other things, such as put out fashion jewelry for clearance. The morning "hoorah" meetings are pathetic and no substitute for good training and decent wages. The management is ONLY concerned with getting customers to sign up for Macy's cards and even take staff out of busy selling time for thirty minutes or more to "train" the workers in how to persuade customers to sign up. Of course, the time used for the training is not factored in to the sales goal for the day, making it even less likely that commission will be paid.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage to your workers. That way you will generate the goodwill and loyalty of the best of them. Stop hiring so many part timers and seasonal workers to avoid paying commission. if you look after your staff, your staff will look after you.

Showing 12 of 14,027 reviews