Macy's Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette
  1. "Legal Assistant/Paralegal"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Pompano Isles, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a team worker company very friendly very helpful and very oriented they are very knowledgeable

Cons

There's nothing in the company that is a Con

Advice to Management

There's nothing in the company that needs any advice to Management

Macy's2016-12-16
  2. "Strong focus on coaching and developing skills"

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Macy's invests a lot in developing it's peoples skills, with a huge emphasis on coaching. All Management and sales staff are constantly being observed and coached.

Cons

Management is largely inexperienced

Macy's2019-02-19
  3. "sales assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

discounts, nice staff, training, nice work environment

Cons

uneven work demands, sometimes understaffed

Advice to Management

I think they are doing the best that they can.

Macy's2017-02-01
  4. "Folove resume"

Assistant Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's

Pros

customer services, Asset, well customer services. Team worker.

Cons

Arrange all cloths, Give action customer immidelit.

Advice to Management

none

Macy's2015-12-17
  5. "Cool"

Call Center Representative, Sales Associate and Personal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's for less than a year

Pros

Macy's is cool to work at if your in the woman's shoes department there is room for growth

Cons

Management is not always available

Macy's2015-12-11

"Sales Manager"

Assistant Group Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Good employee discount, lot's of locations. Local senior management is OK, but if you're ASM or Store Manager is bad you're screwed. Good top level management. Training programs are pretty good.

Cons

Clear bias towards younger managers. Store management too easily swayed by "upwardly focused" employees. Local senior management is OK, but if you're ASM or Store Manager is bad you're screwed. Typical of retail is the constantly changing focus/priorities.

Advice to Management

Pay a little closer attention to your people. Don'[t shift the priority focus quite so often, it makes people cynical.

Macy's2010-12-03

"Neutral"

Assistant Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about retail, and many opportunities to advance if you're a hard worker. Macy's gives you the opportunity to learn about the retail business on a large scale. Never a boring day, if you have one then you're probably not doing a good job. Great place to work after college and gain managerial experience, that will help you further on down the road.

Cons

Very stressful, especially during this economic time. There coupon system is frustrating and needs to addressed, they would have much more success with customer service.

Advice to Management

Put yourself in your employees shoes, before you make decesions.

Macy's2009-02-15
  8. "Great opportunities, terrible work"

Assistant Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The opportunities for advancement are great. If the right people like you and you show some potential, the sky's the limit. I received a promotion into management after less than a year working with the company, and I got an opportunity to meet store managers, vice presidents, vendor company presidents, CEOs, etc. It is a great place to network. Also, I have to admit that most of the people that I met in management... positions or above did start out as sales associates.

Cons

Retail is horrible. You are working with people who, generally speaking, barely graduated from high school. The customers are unpleasant, and it is just a really unprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Hire better people for management in the stores. If Macy's is trying to be a more modern, fresh and fun company, the management should be in line with that goal.

Macy's2009-01-18

"Great for coming in at a management position, horrible for anyone working up the ladder"

Assistant Sales Manager in

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Very positive atmosphere as far as team building and motivation goes. Really a great place to cultivate entry-level talent, albeit as they'll need to move to other companies to advance.

Cons

Promoting from within is not a strong suit here; most upper-level positions are given to college graduates who have never had a job, or to transplants from other companies. In fact, once I left, I was offered a higher position with Macy's, but since they offered me less than what I was making in my new position elsewhere, that didn't work out.

Advice to Management

Taking a chance on known quantities whom you have cultivated from their start (and more than that, were encouraging and full of praise for an up-and-coming successful manager) with you is less of a gamble than going all in on someone from another company from whom you only have a resume and a 30 minute interview to judge.

Macy's2010-12-30