Macy's Sales Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
  1. Good for a start!

Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

flexible hours, grate team, good benefits

Cons

Training process is not done well, salary

Advice to Management

More leading and couching for new team members

2. Designer Clothing Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I enjoyed helping the customers who were undecided about a particular item. It's very empowering to provide support to others.

Cons

You have to work long hours during the holidays. You may be called in on your off day to cover a shift for your coworker.

Advice to Management

Create "set" schedules for employees. It allows more flex time for staff to plan events outside of work. It enables staff to enjoy their days off.

Treating associates

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Working for company has no pros. The upper management doesn’t value the associates. If it goes this way, the company might go out of business soon.

Cons

Everything you can imagine goes wrong. The upper management doesn’t appreciate anything you do for them. They are not even well qualified to be in the position they are offered.

Advice to Management

The upper management is the worst. I don’t know how they got this job.

So much favoritism

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and employee discount for the store i would say. I cant think of any more besides these from macys

Cons

Managers are completely baised and treat you upon their personal interest. But some of them are wise too which I respect and managers are busy gossipping about employees with other employees which i think is not professional and instead of helping its workers they are busy shopping while they are on duty.

Advice to Management

Employees need to be awarded what they have earned. I made my goal over the plan but I was terminated just a week before I could get my bonus for the last month goal which doesnt make sense to me. In my opinion, this place is not fair for any hard working people and gain nothing at the end even after making goals. It is completely like wasting all of my effort I did as a specialist. Macys does not deserve to get hardworking...

5. Junior's Department Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Sunland Park, NM

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great Associate discount plus you can get Macy's money for everything. Good opportunities for growth in the company Flexible scheduling and you can easily swap or get shifts covered by other associates. Can pick up shifts in other departments

Cons

Company as a whole doesn't care about it's employees. My store was unfortunately one of the stores that closed this year and you get to see exactly how the company operates in those situations. We were short changed, to put it lightly. The store environment however is great! Must like retail hours. During the holidays stores can stay open until midnight,

Advice to Management

Be leaders, not just managers.

6. Good College Money

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Aiea, HI

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great People, Great Managers and easy scheduling

Cons

Just enough pay to get through college

Advice to Management

Higher Pay

7. Store manager not a good leader

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

-great co-workers -had an excellent manager

Cons

-store manager was not the best -retail is stressful so be prepared to deal with it

8. Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Know about retail business; learn about sales skills. working with different types of customers; develop your interacting and communication skills.

Cons

It is not a good job for those people who are not comfortable at sales role. Too simple tasks, easily get bored.

9. Designer Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Chamblee, GA

I worked at Macy's for more than 9 years

Pros

Some great co-workers. A few very bad that will turn a person in to loss prevention or to management to make themselves look better and to collect macys money just because they are jealous, mean and spiteful because the other person is better at sales and clienteling than they are.

Cons

Macys pay is archaic. Top raises are 10 cents a year and thats if you are doing an excellent job. Their credit goal is unrealistic, expecting a full time person to open 4 credit card a week. Besides selling the items in your department you are required to sell Breast cancer pins, Book pins for childrens reading, all supposedly going to charity. Unfortunately it feels like you are always asking the customer for money...

Advice to Management

When you have a good person working for you, one that exceeds all your goals, you should take care of them and appreciate them. You keep hiring unskilled people that have no idea how to make magic and don't care enough to bother. Your sales managers have no clue either. Maybe if you would give your employees more money they would be better at making magic. If you don't start getting better merchandise, stop with all...

10. Hard work for not enough pay

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Great managers to work for, very upbeat and are usually employees who moved up in the company. The sales goals, depending on the department was quite manageable.

Cons

The pay...great for students looking for work over the summer, but definitely not enough (even full time) to truly be satisfied or make a decent living. Will most likely need a second job as well.

Advice to Management

Give real pay to your employees. The expectations are truly high and the amount of work even more, however, it's difficult to see a future with a corporation is paying you a little more than minimum wage.

Found 79 reviews