Macy's Sales Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Good for a start!"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, grate team, good benefits

Cons

Training process is not done well, salary

Advice to Management

More leading and couching for new team members

2. "Designer Clothing Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I enjoyed helping the customers who were undecided about a particular item. It's very empowering to provide support to others.

Cons

You have to work long hours during the holidays. You may be called in on your off day to cover a shift for your coworker.

Advice to Management

Create "set" schedules for employees. It allows more flex time for staff to plan events outside of work. It enables staff to enjoy their days off.

3. "Started out great but after a year I was over it and needed more."

Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I LOVED the people I worked with- really the only reason I stayed so long. Even most of the management is awesome, but I just wished they focused on employees' overall being and happiness more.
    - You can meet some really interesting people and connections along the way. I even had several customers at one point helping me find jobs or gave my career/life advice, because they knew what I was capable of. It was really motivating and nice.
    - Management never really bothered me because they all knew I'd do my job and do it well and knew I was capable of getting a much better job so they wouldn't over push me. It was nice because I kind of did my own thing and was able to focus on the job tasks that I loved (helping certain customers, visual, and merchandising). This is what they should be doing, because everyone has their own strengths and I think it'd help the store perform better.
    - I loved the department I worked in. It was my style and age group so a lot of the customers were also younger. I liked being able to work around clothing that made me happy and finding good deals on things I'd wear was a bonus.
    - Flexible scheduling was nice. Being able to have 3 unavailable days a month is awesome and PTO was generous. I believe I had about 8 full days after a year of working with Macys. Being able to swap with people and advertise my shifts was great too and I liked being able to pick up other hours around the store. I liked being able to have one set day and one set night off a week. The only negative about our scheduling was that I felt like it was constantly the same people opening and the same people closing, so that should be changed or worked on.

Cons

- The pay. I get it. It's a minimum wage job so you're not going to be paid a lot, but for everything thy expect out of us (store sales goals, presell goals, credit goals, clientelling, Thanks For Sharing goals, recovery, customer service, ringing, cleaning fitting room, go backs, magic, helping AP, etc..) it's a lot and we should be paid more. They stress the quarterly bonus, but it's lame. For a full-time employee working about 32-40 hours and 5-6 days a week I'd get $100- $130 for 3 months. They want you to hit all of these goals but don't want to compensate or incentivize employees more/better.
    - No promotional opportunity at least within my store. Numerous times I sought an opportunity because I knew no one else would help me and I was constantly turned down because management wouldn't back me and/or would say something about me that was untrue. I expressed my interest with visual and merchandising and was told they'd help me find a position within and never would. I talked to probably every manager in every department. I was always told that I'm so capable and should be doing more, but was never helped. Very frustrating.
    - There are cranky, entitled, and messy customers. You have to have thick skin and be able to stand your ground but not be too mean about it. If you don't or can't do that, then this isn't the right job for you.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your associates (specifically in sales) because ultimately we are the faces of the company and we see how things sell (or don't), how floor changes affect sales, what works and what what doesn't, etc. I would suggest/make comments about floor moves, mannequins, business goals, etc and they wouldn't listen because "I'm just a sales associate" (even though I have two Business degrees and have worked in customer service and on the business end). Then something would happen and it would either plummet or skyrocket. Management- some people on the sales floor know a thing or two..
    - Pay your hardworking associates better!! The annual $0.25 "raise" is ridiculous. That "raise" is given to everyone, even the associates who don't show up to work or don't do their job. I was a hardworking specialist who was able to make a $300 bonus monthly before the company got rid of the positions so a raise as such is a slap in the face.
    - PROMOTE your good people! I sought out many opportunities and was constantly told "something better might come" or "you never know what positions the company might open up. I gave up and Macys lost a good employee. Help the good employees or direct them in the path they want to go in.

4. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Vendor Specialist/Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Vendor Specialist/Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable and diverse work environment.
    Great work and life balance.
    Discounts.

Cons

High work load, low pay.
    Poor communication among management team.
    Minimal raises.
    Poor training.

Advice to Management

Take initiative to lead, train, and promote growth among associates. Make sure all managers are on the same page with goals and policies for the store.

"Treating associates"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for company has no pros. The upper management doesn’t value the associates. If it goes this way, the company might go out of business soon.

Cons

Everything you can imagine goes wrong. The upper management doesn’t appreciate anything you do for them. They are not even well qualified to be in the position they are offered.

Advice to Management

The upper management is the worst. I don’t know how they got this job.

6. "Children's Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoying all my customer's and entertaining new customer's. Working as a team player to achieve all of our store goals. Fufillment our online shopper's: assisting them with their purchases. Assisting the marketing and Vendor teams. Assisting all of my fellow crew and manager's with projects. Assisting with Year end Inventory.

Cons

Shifts that are at varying times. Computer's database that sometimes is not working right to allow us to change shifts, to swap shifts or take a vacation.

Advice to Management

We need more Crew help thru out the day and night to assist us in all the varying functions on the floor and with Customer's.

"So much favoritism"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and employee discount for the store i would say. I cant think of any more besides these from macys

Cons

Managers are completely baised and treat you upon their personal interest. But some of them are wise too which I respect and managers are busy gossipping about employees with other employees which i think is not professional and instead of helping its workers they are busy shopping while they are on duty.

Advice to Management

Employees need to be awarded what they have earned. I made my goal over the plan but I was terminated just a week before I could get my bonus for the last month goal which doesnt make sense to me. In my opinion, this place is not fair for any hard working people and gain nothing at the end even after making goals. It is completely like wasting all of my effort I did as a specialist. Macys does not deserve to get hardworking people.

8. "Junior's Department Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Sunland Park, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Sunland Park, NM

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Associate discount plus you can get Macy's money for everything.
    Good opportunities for growth in the company
    Flexible scheduling and you can easily swap or get shifts covered by other associates.
    Can pick up shifts in other departments

Cons

Company as a whole doesn't care about it's employees. My store was unfortunately one of the stores that closed this year and you get to see exactly how the company operates in those situations.
    We were short changed, to put it lightly.
    The store environment however is great!
    Must like retail hours. During the holidays stores can stay open until midnight,

Advice to Management

Be leaders, not just managers.

9. "Good College Money"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Aiea, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Aiea, HI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Managers and easy scheduling

Cons

Just enough pay to get through college

Advice to Management

Higher Pay

10. "Store manager not a good leader"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-great co-workers
    -had an excellent manager

Cons

-store manager was not the best
    -retail is stressful so be prepared to deal with it