Macy's Sales Supervisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 398 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 874 reviews)

1. "Sales supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and company
    Great atmosphere

Cons

Long hours, weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

Keep working with all employees

2. "Great history, slowly dying"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When you are able to work with like minded people, it is fantastic and enjoyable. Some customers will literally make your week, and cause you to realize that there is some hope left for the world.

Cons

The upper management does not know what they are doing. They are slow to adapt to a fast changing market and often take it out on the lower tier workers when something that is horribly executed does not work. The chain of command is one of placing blame on each person lower, so the Regional Manager blames the District Manager, who blames the Store Manager, who blames the Sales Managers, who blame the associates, who blame the customers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to adapt to changes in market trends quicker, don't just SAY your fast paced and ever changing, BE fast paced and ever changing. Associates know that this is not the end all be all career of kings, because it isn't. Stop acting like this is the most important work they will ever do. They appreciate realness and frankness more than you think, and often times telling them the reasons behind decisions instead of simply saying "because we need to be number one!" will make them respect you more and be more productive.

3. "Chaotic and disorganized"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Fun to work when the going is great.

Cons

Management tends to duck and hide when dealing with issues beyond standard customer complaint

Advice to Management

Restructure yourselves

4. "Good company, GREAT people."

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

5 Weeks of PTO as a new Executive
    Colleagues

Cons

The pay is not great, specially for internal promotions.
    Hours, some weeks you'll have to work 50+ hours

5. "Mindless repetitive and uninspiring"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant coworkers, Fun times were had

Cons

Overtime overtime overtime overtime overtime

Advice to Management

You all deserve better

6. "Sales Supervisor"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my location, I worked with some extremely talented individuals that loved every aspect of their job. This level of enthusiasm I had never experienced in other positions at different locations with Macys. As a supervisor, there were times where I would have weekends off, and was asked if I preferred opening shifts or closing shifts. The management team was very welcoming and very forthcoming.

Cons

In my location, our store manager stayed in her office. I mean, she would come to work and then not leave the office. She would call all the managers and supervisors to have a meeting to discuss business daily at inconsistent times and preach to us if we see customers standing in line to stop what we are doing to assist as our Magic scores were reflecting in not being staffed appropriately. Since she never left her office, she always called managers to ask simple questions. When you are working with the customers directly, its hard to put the customer on hold to answer a call, especially if you are ringing them up or opening a Star Rewards Account for them. They should be your priority. Further, my VPSM would then chastise us for being on registers and opening accounts, even after she gave us the guidance to jump in and help.

There were times when I would open and have an entire opening team call out with almost no time to call people in. Associates have way too much control over their scheduling that it has affected managers and supervisors in our ability to get our departments looking wonderful and shoppable, especially after a sale weekend.

More importantly, as a Supervisor and with other managers, we could watch customers shop lift right in front of us and were only allowed to call our asset protection to apprehend these people. To make matters worse, asset protection could not apprehend unless they visually see the customer putting items in their person or purse. Why have managers report these things if we are told this is the policy?

I constantly was griped at to encourage my team to ask every customer to open a Star Rewards Account, whether they had one already or wanted to get the American Express. My evaluation sucked because every one of our customers had both and we could not open any, and in my year in my position, we only made our credit goal 1 month out of 12. I constantly had customer complaints about our associates beating a dead horse with offering credit and the customer feeling like they were not valued. Look, if they want a credit card, just ask. Don't make people feel bad because they don't have it and don't get pushy.

My store manager and sales managers would all go out to lunch together sometimes leaving me, a sales supervisor, as the only leader covering 2 floors. While it is not impossible, there were times when these lunches became two hour endeavors. More importantly, my store manager only only offered executive positions to people she had previously worked with. Her entire team from other stores replaced excellent managers that she forced out of the location through write ups and finding them negligent. Whats more, many times I was called into her office and chastised because she felt I was not leading my team, however, we met our metrics and exceeded them monthly. My team and I met our presale goals, we exceeded them and then I get told that it was not enough, despite having regular communication with my district manager for my department and getting great emails for making my goals.

Store managers are supposed to be the senior leaders in the organization. When a senior leader fails to lead, other managers take that as an opportunity to teach their own way. As a sales supervisor, I was looking for my managers to lead me in the right direction and mold me into the sales manager that could handle any situation. Instead, what I received was constant complaints of either not doing something right or not stepping up to the plate. When I ask questions, I am told that I am overthinking the situation.

Advice to Management

I am prior military and have a masters degree. In the military, leaders led by example. Have VPSM's come out of their offices more, engage with the employees and learn the products and their stores. The only time my manager ever walked the floor was just before and during a district visit. VPSM's need to lead by example. That's what you give them a bonus for.

"Not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Supervisor in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Supervisor in Naples, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No good reasons , they ask more and more and don’t give back

Cons

They don’t know how to run a business

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the correct for what there doing

8. "Great Place to work at in retail sector"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Stockton, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training, Good high level management, HR is always very cooperative.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, Work Schedule isnt the best, you hardly get any weekend off.

Advice to Management

Increase your base pay for associates to minimize the turn over.

"Needs fixing"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the staff was a great part of the job

Cons

Management does not appear proactive in listening to their associates or engaging with them in a realistic sense

Advice to Management

Engage with the associates, actively listen to their concerns, and hire more to prevent burnout

10. "Sales Supervisor"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learn all aspects of the business

Cons

Company will work you until you drop