Macy's Reviews in San Bernardino, CA | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 868 reviews)

1. "Interesting Experience"

Former Employee - Sale Associate in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

Lots of cool people at a young age, pay wasn't that great but it was an interesting and retail gaining experience job. It was pretty good

Cons

Bad pay, harsh guildlines for breaks, they ding you really hard on those. They aren't so forgiving on if you place your break times in the wrong area, no warnings for my division.

Advice to Management

I hope you can reconsider some scenarios on clocking in .

2. "Estee Lauder Counter Manager"

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

FUN and busy environment.. lots of sales in store that leads to clients at counter.

Cons

There are none I can think of at this moment.

Advice to Management

When interviewing potential candidates have the interviewing done by actual department mgr that you're interviewing to work in and not some random floor mgr who's turn it is to "screen" candidates. You can potentially lose out on a great sales person if that random floor mgr doesn't know how that department is run or how it works.

"Part Time Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Your schedule is accessible online and you can switch and put up your shifts for others to pick up so that you wouldn't lose points.

Cons

Before being hired, I was told I would be a part time and part time was only 4 hours a week! So I had to pick up any shift I could in my department only.
    Too many expectations, credit card account goal for each day, sales goal, and each month you have to do better than the last.
    Not much room to grow.

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. The people that work here are friendly

Cons

Management at times can seem to care less about employee well being rather than actual work. Relationships with management aren't that well.

Advice to Management

Try to create a more energetic and fun environment. More friendly interactions with your team members. If you get along with your team and for the most part everyone is happy with working with each other, productivity and morale would overall increase.

"First Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

The employee discounts is the only good thing about this place.

Cons

Too many to mention such as horrible management.

6. "Not worth it."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing was the 20% employee discount and the ability to use coupons.

Cons

Not enough hours and instead of customer service being the main focus.. Pushing for credit was the most important

Advice to Management

I would say come up with better customer service strategies

7. "Great management."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

General manager was wonderful and saw each employee as an individual. Work was fun, basic retail. Though most of my time was spent in housewares, I did have the opportunity to move to cosmetics after a relatively short amount of time. Great flexibility!

Cons

Pressure to open new accounts. Though only one per week was required, it became difficult when my hours were reduced in the slow time to only two weeknights and a short weekend shift.

"Irritating and unorginized"

Current Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is meant for the teenager still living at home with no bills and just looking for some play money. If that's you than youll be fine

Cons

very minimal hrs. this company is following trend with other big franchises. minimum wage is guaranteed and nothing more. almost all new hires are hired on as a flex support team member which really means "on call"/ no guaranteed hrs. so expect 4 to 12 hrs on average at minimum wage. schedule is horrible, they change your hrs at a moments notice and don't notify you. this job loves to expect an 8 hour day into a 4 hr scheduled day and rather than give you more hrs to do the job right they would rather hire 2 extra people to help you so that no matter what your hrs along with everyone elses hrs never come close to 30 hrs a week. reason is theyre cheap and don't want to have to dish out benefits. poor company that makes a lot of money and gives nothing back.

Advice to Management

im fine with minimum wage because the ability to replace me is easy but atleast give me the ability to make up the difference by being able to work a normal amount of hrs.

Showing 8 of 15,813 reviews