Macy's Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Children's Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoying all my customer's and entertaining new customer's. Working as a team player to achieve all of our store goals. Fufillment our online shopper's: assisting them with their purchases. Assisting the marketing and Vendor teams. Assisting all of my fellow crew and manager's with projects. Assisting with Year end Inventory.

Cons

Shifts that are at varying times. Computer's database that sometimes is not working right to allow us to change shifts, to swap shifts or take a vacation.

Advice to Management

We need more Crew help thru out the day and night to assist us in all the varying functions on the floor and with Customer's.

2. "Work more for less"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely nice staff. Get to interact snd meet a variety of people. Great teamwork. 20% discount. Great sales on quality merchandise.

Cons

Very low pay...minimum wage only. Except Christmastime, few hours available. No benefits for first year. Management really pushed unrealistic sales and credit goals. Performance is graded mostly on how many credit accounts you open.

Advice to Management

Raise pay... Give more hours. Quit micromanaging.

3. "DVC Sales Associate at Fashion Valley Mall"

Former Employee - Draw Vs Commission Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Draw Vs Commission Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Busy During Holidays
    -Can make good money off commissioned sales
    -Very Flexible Dress Code(But Having a Professional Look Has A Very Positive Impact On Your Sales; You Should Wear a Tie)
    -Points System for Late Clockings and Calling Out(Can earn points every 2 weeks for perfect attendance)
    -Insite is very good(online management system for scheduling and time off)
    -20% Discount and Bonus Days where discount increases to 40%( 20% works at Bloomingdales and Macy's subsidiaries

Cons

-Management and Policies can be disorganized
    -Employee opinions and input are not taken seriously ( broken fixtures, lights, and equipment stay broken for extended periods of time)
    -Management will call you to work on your Unavailable Days
    -Pressure to Add customers to "My Client" (Get their credit card info, phone number, and address. Call them or text them on upcoming sales and promotions.)

Advice to Management

Take time to understand the sales associates' point of view.

"VPSM"

Current Employee - Vice President Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brand name. Old time loyal customers. Glamor. Very talented employees in stores.

Cons

Too big to govern by current crop of leaders. Policies are haphazardly made with little or no follow up. Clowning engagement methods. Way too top heavy. More vice presidents than cash registers in the company. Too many changes each year. No continuity. Create jobs yesterday ... eliminated today. No job security.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and listen to emloyees. Too many chiefs. Very unfriendly corporate staff. Think highly of themselves. People who have never sold an item in their lives making important decisions sitting in their gaudy cubicles that affect thousands of employees.

5. "good if you are in school"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule which helps if you are in school

Cons

poor management they expect too much of you

6. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Seasonal Fragrance and Cosmetics in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Fragrance and Cosmetics in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has a very friendly environment, you can be scheduled having in consideration your daily activities.

Cons

You have to be standing up all the time, and deal with all kind of costumers.

7. "It's a job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are cool I guess. Fair amount of attractive employees. It's retail so yeah. It's just a job where you deal with customers.

Cons

Their training videos aren't applicable whatsoever. They just throw you on the register and expect you to slowly figure out the system.

Advice to Management

Have hands on training, and don't assume everything was taught through out of date training videos. Also, update your registers OS.

"Bridal Consultant"

Former Employee - Bridal Registry Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Bridal Registry Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store discounts, flexible hours, social work environment, 3 hour shifts (not worth even driving for)

Cons

Have to work weekends and evenings; in my situation a male consultant was paid significantly more than any of the women in our group even though there were no requirements for the job.

Advice to Management

Have set pay grades for each department; make pay more transparent

9. "dont like"

Current Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good team work and environment...

Cons

too much hours with minimum pay

Advice to Management

didnt like the management

"Inefficient management gave the job alot of freedom"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ You can pick up shifts online if you're short on hours without ever talking to an employee or manager
    + Fairly generous point system for "sick" days and showing up late
    + Freedom and opportunity to bounce around departments
    + Because they're cutthroat with costs there are never enough managers watching over you. So you can go to the bathroom, help customers, apply discounts, wander around your department without too much micromanagement (this probably depends on location)
    + Everything from pay checks to w2 requests and pay stubs can be found and ordered online
    + Because you're just an employee number and most others don't really care about their job, you can either blend in and go under the radar or easily stand out with managers.
    + One of the easiest jobs I've ever had if you can laugh at/detatch yourself from the chaos.
    + Discounts are pretty dope. I forgot the percentage but you also have an inside peek at upcoming coupons and sales and you can cop some amazing deals.
    + Chill co workers mostly. Since it's an entry level brain dead job you'll find people from all walks of life working there. Whatever your scene or interest you can probably find a friend or two here.

Cons

- For most departments you are basically a robot mindlessly scanning and inputting on a register
    - The endless coupons and sales are confusing a.f.
    - Sales goals are sometimes unrealistic and opening Macy's accounts is a requirement when you're not seasonal.
    - Some employees are cutthroat and will steal sales or use shady tactics to open accounts
    - You are literally just a badge number to management. Goodluck ever feeling like you're valued. Hit goals or gtfo (Being seasonal these "goals" go out the window as they just need people manning registers. But during the real season it's awful)
    - Some of the worst customers; they get angry, demand coupons, discounts, and other things. But if you can brush it off and laugh at how idiotic some people are, it can be entertaining.
    - Even in commission positions the pay is sub-par for the amount of hours and work you can be expected of. If you really want to make money go into restaurants.
    - Complaints or recommendations about the work or department will go unheard and unacted 99% of the time.
    - The corporate "culture" is so very cringy ( but I understand the necessity)

- Retail is an awful job. If you're sensitive, emotional, angry or even just a normal human being you will be drained and spiral into a hateful depression where your worldview and any ounce of good in your heart will be stolen from you and tossed into the blackhole that crushes souls. But If you want to last and maintain your sanity you have to be a little sarcastic and have an unhealthy IDGAF attitude towards life. When you reach this zen, only then can you make fun of customers and laugh in people's faces when they start yelling at you, berating you, and demanding a manager for not taking an extra $5 off their $6 purchase.

Basically if one of your guilty pleasures is watching youtube videos of natural disasters or the world burning, you'll find plenty of material to gawk at in retail hell.

Advice to Management

I mean I personally loved the freedom that having not enough managers and people in the front office brought about. There was very little guidance or training for about 75% of extraordinary circumstances but I was smart enough to "figure out" the system.

With that said, it can easily be open for abuse by some less than honorable or younger employees. Because there's so little oversight situations like an angry customer demanding a manager can cause panic attacks because it's impossible to find one. Also the rampant shoplifting by employees is unbelievable. I don't have much reference points, but I'm almost positive Macy's has one of the highest ratios of spillage attributed to employees vs external shoplifters.

With that said, I understand the limitations. With budget constraints, I don't think there's much more that can be done and with such little resources; the ship has been sailing for decades so I wouldn't worry too much about making any drastic changes. Hire an extra floor supervisor or two (or change the way they rotate and take breaks) and maybe add an extra on-duty loss prevention member to help watch cameras. That'll patch a few glaring holes.

Showing 94 of 14,885 reviews