Macy's Reviews in San Rafael, CA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "It's an all right company to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros in my experience are commission, the hours are sometimes flexible, great co-workers, nice customers and discounts. I worked in the women's shoes department and you will be successful there if you sell a lot, go out to the floor, talk to customers, do a lot of presales, open credit accounts and stay ahead of returns. If you manage to sell 50% or more of your sales goal, you will get really good commission if you do any less, it will be mostly just your base pay plus very little commission. If you work holidays and over time you'll get goo money as well, because you will get paid overtime, double time, holiday pay and you can ask for non productive hours sometimes so it won't affect your commission.

Cons

The cons is that you're very limited to go up the ladder and even if you do, money wise it won't be worth it. I believe you'll earn more as a commissioned sales associate than having a management position. If you're part time you do not get to pick your shifts until Sunday I think it was. full time associates can pick theirs on Friday if I remember correctly. That means you will be left with all the evening, late shifts and unless you have a long time working there or a very good excuse, you will have to work it. The pay on slow, very slow days is bad, you'll make the very minimum, no commission at all, because there will be a lot of sales associates and few customers.

Advice to Management

Ask employees for their ideas, or if there is anything that is bothering them. Sometimes there are a lot of things going in but since they are scared to speak up because a manager might have a preferred or favorite associate, so it feels that their input doesn't count and they will just get fired.

2. "Cares nothing about employees"

Former Employee - Sales in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Easy register system to operate

Cons

Low pay, lack of employee care

Advice to Management

Be kind to your people

3. "Underappreciated"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- the people I worked with were nice
    - department managers tried their best
    - work up in the company in a matter of months

Cons

- Low pay
    - Illegal do-ings
    - I didn't even have a manager?

Advice to Management

I know management has nothing to do with it, they just have to keep positive. Good job, and I liked you guys.

4. "Good for the right kind of person"

Former Contractor - Contractor in San Rafael, CA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent. They give you half of every Friday off.
    Very stable environment. They're not going to flame out like a start-up might.

Cons

Part of a stultifying corporation, with plenty of bureaucracy and politics to slog your way through.
    Very erratic levels of competence. There are a few stars, but lots of mediocre (and worse) players.

Advice to Management

If your goal is to have great and innovative systems and be an agile business, then spin off Macys.com from Macy's and let it be entrepreneurial.

5. "Monotonous work, kind co-workers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are generally very friendly, and managers aren't breathing down your neck every second.

Cons

The work is monotonous, repetitive. There aren't many opportunities to be challenged.

Advice to Management

Try to do some team-building and keep employees more engaged and excited.

6. "Seasonal"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, like customer service, on-line scheduling

Cons

Management young, don't lead by example.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes and share information so the same mistakes don't continue to happen. Give your seasonal employees respect and notice when their last day will be.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Opportunity for extra hours during the holidays.

Cons

No cost of living raises. Raises based on sales production.

Advice to Management

Give a cost of living raise to employees.

"Macy's at 1000 Northgate Mall"

Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make sure you already have a Macy's credit card if you plan on using the employee discount during a holiday seasonal job. My card took too long to arrive and by then the holidays were over (and so was the employee discount).

Cons

Thrown onto floor with zero training with stressed out holiday shoppers. Was told it was commission yet shocked to see the smallest puny paycheck I ever received after working hard to bring in huge sales. Coworkers rude and offer no help to their coworkers but were probably just stressed since retail jobs during Christmas is so difficult. Also kept getting placed in perfume section despite being a licensed cosmetologist and interviewed for a Benefit cosmetics counter. Went home feeling sick every night from inhaling perfume fumes.

Advice to Management

More than five minutes training on the floor might be helpful to some. A days training on the computer in back room may not be enough to then be thrown to the wolves aka holiday shoppers. Also being more clear about the salary/no commission during holidays. And lastly it might be in the companies best interest to encourage perm sales staff to be kinder to the temp seasonal staff. After all, the seasonal employees are there to help them earn their big holiday commissions as well as take additional stress off and all for making FAR less money than they do.

"Administrative Support Team has a lot on its plate"

Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Macy's store is an interactive and moving environment that force you to think on your feet quickly and efficiently, which gives you a platform to start being better in HR and customer service

Cons

The work can seem busy at times and when shifts are not covered, you can be pushed into working more than you thought you would be. This can start to feel like you are being taken advantage of in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to do background work. They are the ones who make the store into a better working and shopping environment.

Showing 9 of 14,521 reviews