Macy's Reviews in Santa Barbara, CA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position (in 375 reviews)

• Poor management - pushing Macys credit cards - doesn't care about their associates (in 849 reviews)

1. "Awesome, Honest Company"

Former Contractor - Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Contractor - Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and fabulous customers! Excellent training for each position and learn sales techniques to find the right products for customers. Macy's takes pride in being honest to customers and having beautifully-maintained stores. Great environment.

Cons

The only complaint was that on occasion there was a shortage of employees not showing up for wor which created frustration for customers who needed assistance. I believe in following through with commitments.

Advice to Management

Have a suggestion box for employees' ideas and reward the good ideas with a prize.

2. "Not bad,but not good"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very kind and patient in training me, the managers understood that some expectations held by the company were unrealistic and tried their hardest to accommodate to us.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations held by the company, The computer system is flawed in the way that if you don't meet the right amount of hours youre automatically fired, even if you were to talk to your manager and take a week off. When higher ups came to visit us we often felt treated as potential theives, not a good way to instill confidence in the work environment. Your work week was only set for two weeks and you would get anew schedule every two weeks, so you couldnt make future plans and were only allowed to set your availability once.

Advice to Management

Managers did Great.

3. "Good Starting place for career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. You can set or adjust your schedule if you need time off.

Cons

Days off are random and usually not together if you are fulltime.

"Good environment"

Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to know everyone so quickly and you get to understand them as people so it almost feels like a funny (but mundane) sitcom-like work environment. I like the level of responsibility. Coworkers are so nice and welcoming and it's fun to listen in on HR/supervisors/managers' gossip and conversations about the associates.

Cons

There is so much to do and the pay doesn't seem worth it. AST have an enormous amount of important tasks and it can get hectic.

Advice to Management

Some sort of change to the way associates are allowed to pick shifts or something like that because some departments are completely empty and customers get mad when they can't find someone to ring them up.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was decent and pto was average

Cons

Corporate needs to reevaluate the smaller stores structure

Advice to Management

Restructure store- more associates on floor more screening for applicants

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Builds customer service skills. Helps develop sales skills. Can make commission in certain departments.

Cons

Not to many cons, the path to become a manger takes a lot of hard work.

Advice to Management

Focus on how each individual employee works. Try to taylor your training to their strengths.

7. "Typical corporate company"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

A motivated work environment with good goals. A good high school or college stepping stool job, but nothing you would want to make a living out of.

Cons

Commission for cosmetics was a joke compared to other departments like shoes. Pay was bad in general, scheduling wasn't the best, and higher positions treated lower position individuals in a denoting

Advice to Management

Care more about the people helping your company exist and thrive. If you want customer service to thrive, reward your employees for their efforts.

8. "Former Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good sales experience, good discounts when things are on sale, understanding managers, fairly small store so you recognize most of your coworkers

Cons

Before I left, the department was really understaffed so there was a lot of go backs and chaos in the department. We'd have all our z racks full and messy dressing rooms. A lot of management is young so I guess not many people stick around. I had 3 different managers in 1 year.

Advice to Management

Show you appreciate your workers more and don't have only 1 person working in a busy department on a weekend all the time.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales & Women Shoes Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales & Women Shoes Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and flexible schedules.

Cons

Not much room for opportunities.

10. "Men's Suits and Shoes Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Men's Suits and Shoes Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Men's Suits and Shoes Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is not very difficult.

Cons

Management was terrible. Didn't really manage anything to be honest.
    Training was abysmal, after making me watch an 8 hour training video, they threw me on the floor without a tour of every area. I didn't even know where the back supply room was until a customer asked if there were more products in the back. There were 8 people working in my department and 6-7 people worked together which meant that only 1-2 people were free to cover but they usually weren't working at that time for a good reason. Everything was a mess. The workers were only concerned about selling and the commission so no one bothered organizing anything until a manager told us to every few hours he actually was on the floor. Despite not being available to help out at all, the managers claimed that they were "busy" and asked the workers not to call them even if there were customers who were quite livid about something. I was glad to leave.

Advice to Management

Re-Haul everyone. Especially the managers.

Showing 20 of 15,150 reviews