Macy's Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Seasonal Sales Associate for holidays"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Capitola, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

easy to get scheduled, easy online portal to pick up, drop , or swap shifts

Cons

not so great communication with scheduling requests

"sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Capitola, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The employee discount is amazing. I was able to find a lot of cool clothes for a good price while working since you are always around clothes.

Cons

Have to deal with a lot of rude customers and when you need help from management they usually will side with the customer when they are completely wrong. It's good for the customer but as an employee you feel no support from your manager. Also they expect you to do 100 things at once and get mad when you can't juggle everything. Also it's hard to move positions because they will have open positions and won't let employees know about them until it is already filled up by an outsider.

Advice to Management

Try to take care of employees need and benefits. Customers are very important but so are employees because they are the ones who have to handle everyone's needs and wants.

3. "Beauty advisor"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Capitola, CA

Pros

Good coworkers
    Loved my brand
    Hands on with makeup typically
    Lots of opportunity to experience and play with friends

Cons

Horrible management on Macys end. Managers nearly impossible to get a hold of when needed, held my sick pay for a month, not flexible with student schedules, ridiculous amounts of goals that then result in threats of termination when you don't make them.

Advice to Management

When you're in a college town, you're going to have students so you might as well just not hire them if you are not willing to work with them.

"Sales Associate: Stressful and Competitive, but Has its Benefits."

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers were always positive and nice, even when I wasn't fully fulfilling their expectations. I recieved a lot of encouragement in my work.
    The 20% (& sometimes 40%) employee discount was a big bonus.
    My favorite thing by far was the amazing online scheduling program, there was maybe one or two times when I had to work on an inconvenient day for me; I was able to essentially create my own schedule.

Cons

This is a very competitive working environment. Though you are supposedly on a "team" there is not a team atmosphere, as each associate is trying to reach his/her personal sales goal. There was way more drama than there should be in a simple retail position.
    Be aware that the pay is low (right about minimum wage) and you are often assigned 8 hour shifts.
    There are several programs and events Macy's participates in. As a sales associate, I almost never felt informed on these promotions and had a difficult time selling them to customers; this problem stretched to the whole of my experience in that I always felt out of the loop.

Advice to Management

Work on building a better team atmosphere! Inform your employees about what's so great about the products they're selling so that they can be passionate about the work they do. Follow through on rewards incentives and be proactive in making sure associates receive the praise they're due.

"A little delusional, but mostly fun"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Capitola, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with an awesome team at this store. It's smaller than other locations, so I got to know most of the staff even though I didn't work there long. It was one of my jobs while in college, so I was a flex worker. I had some hours that I had to leave open for scheduling and others that I could opt to pick up hours. I mostly worked closing shifts and weekends. It was actually really fun most of the time. My coworkers were upbeat in a realistic way. We pushed on goals in a positive way, and everyone was always helpful. The customers weren't bad (most of the time), and overall I had a good time staying busy. I was able to pick up a lot of hours during the holidays.

Cons

It's really hard to get out of working holidays, but that's what you sign up with for retail. The Macy's credit card thing was super annoying to push all the time. As a customer, I hated it, and as a worker I still hated it (but became more sympathetic). After the holidays were over, I had a hard time getting more than my minimum hours. Even my part time coworkers were struggling to get hours. Some of our managers drank a little too much of the koolaid and seemed overly excited about everything Macy's.

Advice to Management

Keep it real. To HQ, reconsider the card sign up goals. It's unethical anyway (can ding people's credit!)

6. "Counter Manager for a luxury cosmetics & skincare line"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Capitola, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Received just enough guidance from department manager and they leave you to do your job & unless there is some performance issue. My counter was able to reach monthly goals. Great connection with the cosmetics line corporate AE, & they were willing to move me to another, more lucrative store.

Cons

Late night sales, requirements to open credit accounts, unable to acquire full time hours to manage my counter. A "D" store so the lack of volume sales for a luxury line was not enough money to live well. A young manager with a lack of experience in good people skills ran the department.

Advice to Management

Be positive, compassionate, & smile

7. "Flexible schedule"

Former Employee - Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very easy to switch schedules with other employees or work with managers to get time off.

Cons

Can be very "clicky", making it easy for some people to progress up the corporate ladder, but left others discouraged.

8. "A lot of work for a small amount of pay..."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Capitola, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you catch a thief attempting to steal merchandise, they give you a bonus in your check. Discount on merchandise was decent. Learned how to deal with difficult customers with grace. A few wonderful, smart, and caring sales associates made the work day much better.

Cons

Wearing all black, looked like we were attending a funeral, everyday. Fitting rooms tended to smell like an old shoe. Building was often hot and stuffy. The STAR chart was a ridiculous competition that no one took seriously. Awfully long business hours during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Performing inventory from 9pm to 6am for one or two days after the holidays. Micromanaged at busy times.

Advice to Management

Drop the STAR performance chart and create something else, anything else, to motivate sales associates. Promote associates quicker or offer raises more often. Associate and management wages should be public.

9. "sell sell sell!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Cosmetics in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Cosmetics in Capitola, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are constantly trying to meet both individual sales goals and collective sales goals, which cultivates both competition and collaboration, and you end up learning many new sales strategies from your co-workers.

Cons

The competition can also be a con, as some people are happy to take credit for your commissions or turn their back when you need help. There is also always pressure to hit quotas - sales volume, number of credit cards opened, number of promotional items moved - and fiercely unhappy upper management to deal with when you are not successful.

Advice to Management

You should encourage cosmetics girls to help with check out when lines get really busy at other registers. I know a lot of customers voiced frustration that we always looked stuck up and unwilling to help after the fact, but it was something that we didn't even really think about at the time.

"Worst place I ever worked"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Capitola, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here in college and it was awful. The only pro is the employee discount, but you make so little money that you can't really afford to buy anything, anyway. Also, it motivated me to get a real job. So, thanks for that.

Cons

Making basically minimum wage, and being treated with constant suspicion. Getting watched constantly over security cameras, who tell on you even for non-security related issues (one time because a coworker came up and started talking to me at the register). Snotty management. Working retail is already bad, this is the worst.

Showing 11 of 17,147 reviews