Macy's Reviews in Schaumburg, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "great managers and coworkers, business wasn't good though"

Former Employee - Prep/Line Cook in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Prep/Line Cook in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had some of the best coworkers who I developed good relationships with. We learned to appreciate each others strengths and communicate well. The managers were some of the kindest people I've ever met. It is a true scratch kitchen- you're not just reheating precooked food.

Cons

By the time I went there, the business wasn't doing well. This was because of unreliable holiday help in the past and maybe just competition from other restaurants in the Schaumburg area. It ended up closing down permanently while I worked there.

Advice to Management

If I could say one thing to the managers, it would be thank you for an incredible experience. It was a pleasure working for Macy's for the time that I did. My only advice is to set higher expectations for the shorter term employees.

2. "Great Choice for Seasonal Position"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Love the store. Customers are nice. Great choice for seasonal work. Best departments are Christmas and Children's.

Cons

Seasonal associate pay is low.

3. "Sales associate/Support"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment, and customer engagement. Easy to work place with plenty of benefits and paid vacation time off. A lot of opportunities to go higher up.

Cons

Associates are rude to other associate and talk behind their backs in ways that should not be acceptable in an environment such as a store as Macy’s. Managers are rude at times when they should keep their composure. They blindly give away positions to people that don’t deserve them, and they completely ignore the hard working associates. AP is always snitching on other people when they themselves need to be looked at for the stuff they do.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on associates and AP themselves. It’s not fair to other associates that they are being overlooked while others associates are getting higher positions when they don’t deserve it. Conduct better interviews rather than thinking just because one person is higher than the other, that the other person can’t out perform them. Managers should stop spreading rumors in a work place and just focus on their duties at the store. It’s a work place, not a gossip center. Keep it professional and have respect towards your associates. It’s disgusting to see that they can boss other associates around without listening to their opinions on certain things.

4. "Neutral place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment. Discounts are good and eligible on sale items. Nice people to work with. Great opportunity to grow customer based skills.

Cons

Employees can call off whenever they want without regard to business needs. Managers and most selling associates are overworked due to lack of coverage. Advancement is slow moving in most management positions.

Advice to Management

Senior management often overlooks what is done well. Human Resources could be more hands on with associates on the floor. Problematic associates should be moved out with more support.

5. "Receiving Associate"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good management (at my store)
    Employee discount (20% including all taxes)
    Able to see new items before they came onto the floor

Cons

Manual labor
    Not many hours given
    Minimum wage
    Weak training - the videos they made me watch weren't helpful for my position

Advice to Management

Please understand that receiving associates have very minimal contact with customers as we work only in the back and thus don't care much for more customer service training.
    Occasionally rewarding the team for hard work meant a lot to all of us. Please keep that up! It really helps to know that we're appreciated!

6. "Good overall"

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was easy to get employed because they hired people just for a season. Nice supervisors and helpful friendly co-workers. Long lunch break and 15-minutes ones every 3 hours.

Cons

Was always scheduled on Sat and Sun, even after a holiday season. Reduced work hours. Some customers were dufficult or unpleasant to deal with.

7. "Typical Retail Position"

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule can be extremely flexible. Small employee discount.

Cons

Managers can be overbearing and too demanding. But there are some wonderful ones that you want to work under.

Advice to Management

Instead of decreasing workers' morale, encourage them. They will work harder.

"Cosmetics"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Fast paced environment with the opportunity to express your individuality, skills, and expertise. Fun and energetic atmosphere. Opportunities for promotion available.

Cons

Very competitive and exceptional sales experience needed to maintain pay. Very pushy on soliciting credit. You have to be persistent with building and maintaining a clientele.

Advice to Management

Provide more structure within your particular department and provide assistance to your employees when needed. Support events rather than only driving sales. Positive motivation and encouragment drives employees. Being reprimanded and negativity for not meeting a particular goal is not the best way to improve performance.

"Horrible Management and very unfair"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few nice coworkers, decent lunch and breaks and good discounts

Cons

Rude managers, favoritism, put you on the schedule last minute without telling you, disrespect you in front of customers, unrealistic expextions and horrible coverage. Lazy coworkers who don't leave the register.

Advice to Management

Stop hiding in your office and actually help the store. You find time to yell at associated when u think something isn't getting done fast enough but dont really try and help out. Get rid of the say yes policy.

10. "Minimum wage"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Associate store discount, gentil co-workers, good managers

Cons

Minimum wage, impossible to grow been a sales associate, high rotation of sales associates due the poor payments

Showing 20 of 16,606 reviews