Macy's Reviews in Schaumburg, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position (in 372 reviews)

• Poor management - pushing Macys credit cards - doesn't care about their associates (in 848 reviews)

1. "Receiving Associate"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good management (at my store)
    Employee discount (20% including all taxes)
    Able to see new items before they came onto the floor

Cons

Manual labor
    Not many hours given
    Minimum wage
    Weak training - the videos they made me watch weren't helpful for my position

Advice to Management

Please understand that receiving associates have very minimal contact with customers as we work only in the back and thus don't care much for more customer service training.
    Occasionally rewarding the team for hard work meant a lot to all of us. Please keep that up! It really helps to know that we're appreciated!

2. "Neutral place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment. Discounts are good and eligible on sale items. Nice people to work with. Great opportunity to grow customer based skills.

Cons

Employees can call off whenever they want without regard to business needs. Managers and most selling associates are overworked due to lack of coverage. Advancement is slow moving in most management positions.

Advice to Management

Senior management often overlooks what is done well. Human Resources could be more hands on with associates on the floor. Problematic associates should be moved out with more support.

3. "Good overall"

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was easy to get employed because they hired people just for a season. Nice supervisors and helpful friendly co-workers. Long lunch break and 15-minutes ones every 3 hours.

Cons

Was always scheduled on Sat and Sun, even after a holiday season. Reduced work hours. Some customers were dufficult or unpleasant to deal with.

4. "Typical Retail Position"

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule can be extremely flexible. Small employee discount.

Cons

Managers can be overbearing and too demanding. But there are some wonderful ones that you want to work under.

Advice to Management

Instead of decreasing workers' morale, encourage them. They will work harder.

"Cosmetics"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Fast paced environment with the opportunity to express your individuality, skills, and expertise. Fun and energetic atmosphere. Opportunities for promotion available.

Cons

Very competitive and exceptional sales experience needed to maintain pay. Very pushy on soliciting credit. You have to be persistent with building and maintaining a clientele.

Advice to Management

Provide more structure within your particular department and provide assistance to your employees when needed. Support events rather than only driving sales. Positive motivation and encouragment drives employees. Being reprimanded and negativity for not meeting a particular goal is not the best way to improve performance.

"Horrible Management and very unfair"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few nice coworkers, decent lunch and breaks and good discounts

Cons

Rude managers, favoritism, put you on the schedule last minute without telling you, disrespect you in front of customers, unrealistic expextions and horrible coverage. Lazy coworkers who don't leave the register.

Advice to Management

Stop hiding in your office and actually help the store. You find time to yell at associated when u think something isn't getting done fast enough but dont really try and help out. Get rid of the say yes policy.

7. "Minimum wage"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Associate store discount, gentil co-workers, good managers

Cons

Minimum wage, impossible to grow been a sales associate, high rotation of sales associates due the poor payments

8. "The people made the job bearable, not the job itself"

Former Employee - Big Ticket Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Big Ticket Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here because my fellow employees and even managers were very nice people and fun to be around. Management wasnt too strict, and hours were somewhat flexible. Top performers will get the most hours, doesn't matter the circumstances.

Cons

Pay was terrible, had commission with a draw (worst pay structure I have ever been a part of). Every hour that went by that you did not sell anything, you would owe them the $9 an hour they paid you for that time. So basically, if you go a day without selling anything, and the next day you sell $18 an hour (double the draw) you will only make $9 an hour because you owed them for the time you didn't sell anything.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the draw. Listen to employees suggestions more often. We are the ones in the dirt of the work, we know what we need best.

"Great to Shop There, Not So Great To Work There!"

Former Employee - Commission Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Commission Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with many cordial customers and fellow employees can be fun. Atmosphere is pleasant and, if your earnings are not important, it's a good choice. For older workers, you will not be alone. Discount is nice if that is a factor for you.

Cons

Company is huge and very corporate. You are a number, and there is little personalized consideration given to you. Schedules are often terrible and little choice is given if you want to be given hours. Depending on department, stock work can be very tiring.

Advice to Management

Give your people more consideration. Be more like Marshall Field's and less like Macy's.

10. "Alot of work for little pay"

Former Employee - Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- meet some good people
    - made new friends
    - lots of hours

Cons

- upper management pushed us too hard
    - pay is not good
    - too much work for little pay
    - no benefits as seasonal

Showing 17 of 15,148 reviews