Macy's Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position (in 372 reviews)

• Poor management - pushing Macys credit cards - doesn't care about their associates (in 848 reviews)

1. "sales associates"

Former Freelancer - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Freelancer - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Best reasons why Macy's is a good place to work. Teaches custmer service to meet a customers needs. Builds character and social skills when dealing in a fast pace service of sales to satisfy customers worth in buying things at good prices.

Cons

Some people who work at Macy's and customers/members who can be frustrated or unsatified with there purchase or there wants. Always have a good attitude and deal with people with grace and accordingly. Its never worth an argument that can lead to no work getting re$olved and done.

Advice to Management

I'm a people person but I do love to work alone. I've grown to never be afraid to ask questions, that's how things get answered. I'm a fast paced learner and I'm hands-on to multiple tasks. I enjoy what I'm best skilled in to achieve the simplest things to get done.

2. "Meh."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers were cool. Only good thing I remember. Dope people.

Cons

Felt pretty disorganized. I got thrown around to different sections. Had a shift extended without even being consulted about it first, so when I tried clocking out, I wasn't able to.

3. "Doesn't value it's employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, fellow co-workers and customers you'll meet while there.

Cons

You're micro-managed and treated as if you mean nothing to them and that's because as I stated above they absolutely do NOT value their employees. There's more than one reason this company is not doing well and this is one of the reasons. All about corporate greed and at the end of the day this companies main concern is $$$ and they could care less about their employees.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, be genuine, and truly VALUE them and you might get more from them and possibly stay in business..

"Horrible experience working there. Employees are not paid well enough for the work they do. Horrible management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Met new people. Good for the first time job. Better than not having a job. If you are new and don’t have any skills you can start here.

Cons

Long hours standing on your feet. Unpredictable schedules. Most managers do care about the employees. Just care about the numbers. It used to be union but did not do much for the employees. Overall bad experience working there.

5. "Friendly people, awful company"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was really nice and helpful. If it wasn't for them, I would not have stayed as long. Additionally, I did learn a lot (though, not through the help of mentors or instructors but rather through my own experience.)

Cons

It's corporate. They will want you to open credit cards first and foremost, they'll want you to almost literally grab customers to "show them something", and even if your numbers are killer and you clock out 2 minutes early, that's what you'll hear about.

Advice to Management

Take time to help employees that show promise, make your customers feel comfortable not like they would rather die than make eye contact with an employee.

"horrible place to work. Like working at walmart"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the discount and deals spotted while working

Cons

everything, management was horrible unprofessional, no flexibility in your schedule. they didnt want you to work too much but still needed to be available when ever they needed you

Advice to Management

treat people with respect

7. "..Kinda Awful - wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly Pay

Detailed and comprehensive Healthcare Package

Can easily give away/trade/pickup shifts if needed

Point System Attendance

Cons

If you're not part of the Macy's "clique", you're not one of them (This is both Management and staff)

Point System Attendance (so if you're genuinely sick more than two separate times in a month, 2 days each = 4pts.) Once you reach 0 you're no more

Good luck getting ACTUAL help from your co-workers, computer based training than off to the races! Wtf is that. . If you ask more than one question towards your actual co-workers you get looked at weirdly - how are you supposed to learn otherwise??

People are snarky and quick to gossip and pass miscellaneous judgement, versus obtaining the truth through proper methods *getting that info from the person directly*(NOT ALL Macys is like this, keep in mind)

Place can get really messy at times and brings down morale..

Advice to Management

Stop feeding into the drama of the workplace (Internal or external)... Its never really healthy to gossip and we can hear you do it, walls aren't THAT thick.. This isn't highschool

Improve customer service experience

If the place looks noticeably messy and we have people to help out with that, than give them more hours. . Not Less..?! Because when you put that pressure on the sales associate - we lose out in helping the customers and actually doing our jobs

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor

Pros

Casual, laid back, fun environment.

Cons

Their 90 day probation period is strict. If you want to be hired on as a regular employee, you cannot miss a single day, not even for emergencies. Not a good policy.

Advice to Management

You are missing out on good employees by not modifying the 90 day probation period to include an exception of no more than 3-5 absences for good, verifiable cause (i.e. illness or family emergency).

9. "Holiday Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Holiday Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Holiday Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 20% discount
    - Flexible hours

Cons

Downtown Seattle no parking if working a overnight shift it could be a problem

Advice to Management

I found management to be helpful

10. "work was good, pay was okay"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was usually left to work in peace. Co-workers were wonderful and management was nice.

Cons

There was little to no communication between management and lower employees.

Advice to Management

Please communicate more on what you want.

Showing 98 of 15,138 reviews