Macy's Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Working here has been amazing,I've learned a lot in a short period of time thanks to all my incredibly kind co-workers"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved that each day was different, I would work in delivery and then I'd be up front loading and unloading trailers. But it was actually pretty cool working with my mom.

Cons

The only challenge I had working here was getting to work on time.

2. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Merchant in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - District Merchant in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people. I met and worked with some amazing people at Macy's. Most managers cared about you as a person.

Cons

The cutbacks. Every year the company goes through restructure and you never know if/when you'll be laid off.

3. "Fine for a part-time position, but no way to live"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands-off management, until they want to blame you for something.

The employees are pretty incredible people.

Cons

Policy often puts you in a position where they can fire you at any time.

Advice to Management

Treat the associates like people and invest in them.

4. "It was one of the best jobs I ever had"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love that the schedule was flexible, made lots of friends and got a paycheck every week😊

Cons

Work holidays and extended hours but the pay makes up for it.

5. "You Got A Lotta Potential"

Former Contractor - Visual Merchandiser & Fashion Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Visual Merchandiser & Fashion Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good Structure and Organization within the different divisions, they make an effort to keep the energy up, and provide encouragement & support. There's good teamwork.

Cons

I was contract VM, which went well, & part-time FM, during which I got setup by my manager & HR presented to support this. It is definitely a Seattle/Bellevue issue, where they play cards to special interests. Namely a prominent family who's wife did not want me to have a career there. Too, it becomes apparent Macy's really just looks out for itself, and could look out for it's employees a bit more. Macy's could save a lot of money by just becoming a bit more environmentally conscious. Part of the VM work entails taking down displays and cutting plastic backdrop that gets mostly covered up again with the display goes up. 1)) I'd switch to cardborad when you don't need super gloss, which could be upto 90+% of the time. AND reduce the size as it's mostly covered up anyway. AS A RESULT, you A) save time dismantling and reinstalling displays, B) reduce time cutting backdrop to size, C) save money on time and reduced product size D) you only really need it at the higher vantage point for call to action; again the rest is covered by product. 2) Put Photos on recycled paper. 3) Continue reusing products when ever possible as you already do.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don' t give upper employees, even if lower management or HR, any wiggle room to setup other employees to screw their career over (which is what happen to me; hopefully a Seattle/Bellevue problem, and not so much Macy's). I would encourage incentive programs to be carried through - the cards you hand out, actually lead to some yielded fruit for employees. Also, allow them to get a free coffee on their break every Friday or once a week..., it's a nice not over-the-top perk. And I really disagree with having employees use their own cellphones for work communication. Listen to any feedback for improvements to make employees "happier". Become more environmentally conscious.

6. "Doesn't value it's employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, fellow co-workers and customers you'll meet while there.

Cons

You're micro-managed and treated as if you mean nothing to them and that's because as I stated above they absolutely do NOT value their employees. There's more than one reason this company is not doing well and this is one of the reasons. All about corporate greed and at the end of the day this companies main concern is $$$ and they could care less about their employees.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, be genuine, and truly VALUE them and you might get more from them and possibly stay in business..

7. "Self Hatred thanks to Management"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't have anything good to say.

Cons

-management yells at you for every little thing
    -low pay, some commission but with constant sales it's not enough to be worth it
    -1 year return policy means people use and return cosmetics and the commission is taken out of paycheck

Advice to Management

Treat you employees like people. If you want them to do well, make them WANT to come to work. An abusive environment doesn't make people want to work harder, everyone just starts to hate themselves.

"Horrible experience working there. Employees are not paid well enough for the work they do. Horrible management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Met new people. Good for the first time job. Better than not having a job. If you are new and don’t have any skills you can start here.

Cons

Long hours standing on your feet. Unpredictable schedules. Most managers do care about the employees. Just care about the numbers. It used to be union but did not do much for the employees. Overall bad experience working there.

9. "Getting worse by the day"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love customer I interactions. Good employee discount

Cons

Management is selective and unsupportive. Sales staff taking on more roles all the time.

Advice to Management

Remember that your store staff is what is the difference between on line shopping and brick and mortar. Treat us as valued assets. Don't play favorites. Make magic with staff as well as customers

10. "Friendly people, awful company"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was really nice and helpful. If it wasn't for them, I would not have stayed as long. Additionally, I did learn a lot (though, not through the help of mentors or instructors but rather through my own experience.)

Cons

It's corporate. They will want you to open credit cards first and foremost, they'll want you to almost literally grab customers to "show them something", and even if your numbers are killer and you clock out 2 minutes early, that's what you'll hear about.

Advice to Management

Take time to help employees that show promise, make your customers feel comfortable not like they would rather die than make eye contact with an employee.

Showing 211 of 14,891 reviews