Macy's Reviews in Silver Spring, MD | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 397 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 870 reviews)

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Excellent management, trendy and up to date with culture.

Cons

Hourly wages arent up to par with what is usually paid for people that have degrees

Advice to Management

none

2. "Don't make even an honest mistake"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

A little money to pay for some groceries and transportation to another job. Got to interact with humans, which was not the case as a government analyst.

Cons

- Will bring you into a corner room and treat you like a criminal if you make an honest mistake.

- Management cares more about selling credit to customers than meeting sales goals.

- Management is just nasty/mean. Co-workers are unhappy and will not return smile if you smile at them.

- Can go 6 1/2 hrs without a break due to lack of staff and "budget."

- Insufficient training. Sink or swim mentality.

- Complete lack of communication.

Advice to Management

None - would not listen anyway. It's all about the money. $5 million salary for CEO while sales associates make peanuts.

3. "DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS PITIFULL DEPARTMENT STORE"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

SOME good people, notice I emphasized the some. The friends you can make here are the only good thing about this job.

Cons

I was here for a couple of years. So much bombardment to open a credit account. The only reason why I worked here was because I was an undergraduate student at the time and needed the extra money. I advice everyone I come across to go to a trade school, vocational school or something to get a career so that you wont have to spend your precious hours working for a company that could care less about you. Do your self a favor and build something for yourself so you will not have to go through what I went through. I did everything at my job. Went out of my way for customers stayed extra hours? did they care? no! when it came time to hire people for the holidays they did not think twice before letting me go. Good thing I had a more REASONABLE and better paying job at the time. Please do not work here. PLEAAASE! I knew that being here was only temporary and as soon as I finished my degree in my field I wont even have to look back.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you like your employees! The attendace system is completely ridiculous! At my more professional position even if I am 10 minutes late I don't get points off. The point system is like middle school all over a gain. We are not robots! If you want service 24/7 why not get those automated machines that Giant has. That way your machines can ALWAYS be there making your company money. Humans are not perfect.

4. "Support"

Current Contractor - Sales Support Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Contractor - Sales Support Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Macy's as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Income and the ability to advance in the company.also the discount.

Cons

The pay to start isn't great but I know my work effort will make it more. You either have it or you dont. The real con is time.

Advice to Management

R.H Macy was about innovation!
    There are many ways Macy's inc.
    Can boost the moral. If you employees are unhappy low vibes the customers will see it and it would effect the sales, no add-on no up sales nothing. I've worked in to different stores and the same thing. People want what they want and would buy more if suggested. If a customer comes in for shoes as if they are going to and event if so do they need an outfit make up ect..but if your employees are acting like children with the power of an ant I suggest head have to roll! And start at the top.

Showing 4 of 16,078 reviews