Macy's Reviews in Skokie, IL | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 867 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work with. Co workers are very nice.Mangers are very nice too.

Cons

Work during holidays are tough. Late hours.

2. "Sales associate/ Dock work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent area, Nice co-workers, had pizza during breaks. breaks weren't given unless you ask for it and sometimes they completely forget about it even though that labor abuse.

Cons

Not a happy job, you'll start having back issues and I'm 18. stand for 6-7 hours straight. barely any breaks. Confusing codes that you have to learn.

Advice to Management

it was crappy and messy in the stock room. They did not know how to manage the stock room.

3. "Retail Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy’s is a really great company to work for. I learned a lot at Macy’s as a Merchandiser. My manager was expectionally great. I would recommend Macy’s if your looking to get experience in your field as a recent college student it’s a great place to learn a lot.

Cons

Low pay and holidays

Advice to Management

I loved working for the company Macy’s, but I felt like the pay could have been more for the amount of work we do as Merchandiser.

"Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my job. Its fun and allowed me to use my creativity to enhance the shopping environment. Most of my co-workers were awesome and fun. Each weeks different and you learn a lot (mainly on your own though). Holiday was my all-time favorite time of year bc I got to decorate the store with holiday decor. Macy's has a lot of product so learning how to merchandise for a variety of demographics was fun. You also work with so many different brands and I enjoyed creating brand specific trends for those brands. Mannequins and windows were always a good time. I also enjoyed getting to build awesome displays.

Cons

- Job can be stressful at times, which isnt good when your boss can't handle stress.
    - I had to learn most stuff on my own since training was not done. Ask questions had to be on a regular basis bc nobody was trained how to do something.
    - Communication with visual manager and team wasnt the best. This made working conditions tense and stressful lots of times.
    - Advancement didn't look great. Since you were not set up for success advancement wont happen.
    -Manager talks bad about team and gossips to team members about other members of the team.
    -Credit for work was not really given.
    -Competitive environment made it hard to work with some members of the team.
    - Since manager was always stressed it was hard to work at times. You could never tell what mood he was in and often would get talked down to and screamed at. This is the main reason I left.
    -Tight deadlines and assignments given at last minute with little time to complete.
    -Very wasteful company. The amount of fixtures and props that get thrown away without ever being used is crazy. Macy's should invest in getting a team together to minimize waste and they would save so much money. The amount of stuff we throw away is crazy and lots of it could be sold online or donated/recycled.
    -Lots of visits that required long hours and hectic schedule at times.
    -Shoppers are messy and lots of times very rude. The things you see people do and act is gross.
    -Organization of fixtures and back rooms needs attention.
    - Lots of times I knew more than my manager. Knowing you could do your bosses job way better is not good.
    -Feedback on work was not given
    - ﹰLots of times you put in a ton of hard work and it would be nice to be recognized with advancement opportunities and pay raises.
    - health insurance is not good and its expensive.

Advice to Management

District and regional managers need to be in the stores more to evaluate the leaders in the store and see firsthand who are the hard workers. Lots of slackers and managers that shouldnt be in a leadership role. I absolutely loved my job and got along great with most teammates. The reason I left was because my direct manager should not be in the position of managing. This made me at times hate my job just because of his negative attitude and unpredictable personality. One day hes your best friend, the next hes yelling at you bc you dont understand directions for a project that he has not communicated correctly. Look at the turnover rate in certain departments. Those with a high turnover rate are those with a bad manager. Listen and engage with teams more. Do random pop in visits bc lots of times those scheduled visits make the store look incredible. Truth is the store rarely looks like this and only looks this good based off the hours of hard work put in. Pay attention to wasteful stores.

"Administrative Support Team Supervisor"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Supervisor in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Supervisor in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to meet some amazing people

Cons

"senior management" this would include senior management in store and at the corporate level; work/life balance does not exist; words and actions do not match.

Advice to Management

Being diverse means more than just hiring men. It is appalling that a company that employs so many people of color, have little to none at a level higher that store manager/DM.... In my current market there are no people of color on the district team and I live in a major urban city. Approx 80% of the associates in my building are POC, but when the district team comes in it is a sea of white faces.

6. "SSA-Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - SSA - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - SSA - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Most of the associates are very nice and good people to work with. And the employee discounts are nice.

Cons

Often times expectations / responsibilities for associates far exceeds compensation - monetary or otherwise.

Advice to Management

More regular and tangible value shown to the associates who perform on a variety of levels for the company, including improving or upgrading incentive program for opening accounts.

7. "Work"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Skokie, IL

Pros

Love my co-workers and the customers are generally really friendly

Cons

A lot of micromanagement and expect you to stay 9:45-6:30 and sometimes later. Call you on your days off. No appreciation

Advice to Management

Respect and appreciate

8. "sales associate and specialist twice"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and chance to work in different departments.

Cons

Undervalued for the great work I do. Puny raises, people getting sick and working until exhausted. Filthy fitting rooms that need cleaning and new carpet and fixtures. Bathrooms that are in deplorable shape.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and compensate us. Raises are often 25 -cents for selling 250,000 and up! You will get a piece of candy, a small card in one case a star shaped rubber band! Please its an insult.

9. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

Pros

meet ppl from all culture and ethnicities

Cons

on ur feet hr and hrs

Advice to Management

none

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can basically pick your own schedule, pick up others shift, discounts, co workers are nice and don't mind helping out

Cons

Low Pay, Gets really busy around the holidays, they force you to get people to sign up for a Macy's Credit Card

Showing 15 of 15,956 reviews