Macy's Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good College Money"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Aiea, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Aiea, HI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Managers and easy scheduling

Cons

Just enough pay to get through college

Advice to Management

Higher Pay

2. "Marketing Executive Development Leadership Program"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, Manhattan is awesome

Cons

Everyone is required to work at the Macy's Manhattan store on Black Friday.

3. "Designer Clothing Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I enjoyed helping the customers who were undecided about a particular item. It's very empowering to provide support to others.

Cons

You have to work long hours during the holidays. You may be called in on your off day to cover a shift for your coworker.

Advice to Management

Create "set" schedules for employees. It allows more flex time for staff to plan events outside of work. It enables staff to enjoy their days off.

4. "Started out great but after a year I was over it and needed more."

Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I LOVED the people I worked with- really the only reason I stayed so long. Even most of the management is awesome, but I just wished they focused on employees' overall being and happiness more.
    - You can meet some really interesting people and connections along the way. I even had several customers at one point helping me find jobs or gave my career/life advice, because they knew what I was capable of. It was really motivating and nice.
    - Management never really bothered me because they all knew I'd do my job and do it well and knew I was capable of getting a much better job so they wouldn't over push me. It was nice because I kind of did my own thing and was able to focus on the job tasks that I loved (helping certain customers, visual, and merchandising). This is what they should be doing, because everyone has their own strengths and I think it'd help the store perform better.
    - I loved the department I worked in. It was my style and age group so a lot of the customers were also younger. I liked being able to work around clothing that made me happy and finding good deals on things I'd wear was a bonus.
    - Flexible scheduling was nice. Being able to have 3 unavailable days a month is awesome and PTO was generous. I believe I had about 8 full days after a year of working with Macys. Being able to swap with people and advertise my shifts was great too and I liked being able to pick up other hours around the store. I liked being able to have one set day and one set night off a week. The only negative about our scheduling was that I felt like it was constantly the same people opening and the same people closing, so that should be changed or worked on.

Cons

- The pay. I get it. It's a minimum wage job so you're not going to be paid a lot, but for everything thy expect out of us (store sales goals, presell goals, credit goals, clientelling, Thanks For Sharing goals, recovery, customer service, ringing, cleaning fitting room, go backs, magic, helping AP, etc..) it's a lot and we should be paid more. They stress the quarterly bonus, but it's lame. For a full-time employee working about 32-40 hours and 5-6 days a week I'd get $100- $130 for 3 months. They want you to hit all of these goals but don't want to compensate or incentivize employees more/better.
    - No promotional opportunity at least within my store. Numerous times I sought an opportunity because I knew no one else would help me and I was constantly turned down because management wouldn't back me and/or would say something about me that was untrue. I expressed my interest with visual and merchandising and was told they'd help me find a position within and never would. I talked to probably every manager in every department. I was always told that I'm so capable and should be doing more, but was never helped. Very frustrating.
    - There are cranky, entitled, and messy customers. You have to have thick skin and be able to stand your ground but not be too mean about it. If you don't or can't do that, then this isn't the right job for you.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your associates (specifically in sales) because ultimately we are the faces of the company and we see how things sell (or don't), how floor changes affect sales, what works and what what doesn't, etc. I would suggest/make comments about floor moves, mannequins, business goals, etc and they wouldn't listen because "I'm just a sales associate" (even though I have two Business degrees and have worked in customer service and on the business end). Then something would happen and it would either plummet or skyrocket. Management- some people on the sales floor know a thing or two..
    - Pay your hardworking associates better!! The annual $0.25 "raise" is ridiculous. That "raise" is given to everyone, even the associates who don't show up to work or don't do their job. I was a hardworking specialist who was able to make a $300 bonus monthly before the company got rid of the positions so a raise as such is a slap in the face.
    - PROMOTE your good people! I sought out many opportunities and was constantly told "something better might come" or "you never know what positions the company might open up. I gave up and Macys lost a good employee. Help the good employees or direct them in the path they want to go in.

"Bloomingdales specialist"

Current Employee - Bloomingdales Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Bloomingdales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

able to give hours away when needed, management is fair, home work balance, lots of charity work ,

Cons

terrible medical benefits, almost zero opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

hire from with in first and open up jobs for all to apply

6. "Great place that lets you do your job and go home!"

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Mason, OH

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micro managing,fun work environment,competitive wages

Cons

Not flexible with life changes,repetitive work day,rude customers

Advice to Management

Work with agents in schedule changes

7. "Hiring Specialist"

Former Employee - Hiring Specialist in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Hiring Specialist in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment lost of personal development opportunities.

Cons

The computer system is a bit outdated

Advice to Management

Reflect a positive out put not a low pace pressure on output

8. "Be rude and fast they will be happy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice lunchroom, open Floor plan, training is ok.

Cons

They say do what it takes to make customers happy, go that extra mile, bit what they want is quantity. Quality when you have time. If your over the age of 35 and are given the customer personalised service cause thats what the issue calls for you will hear about it and not in a good way.

Advice to Management

Reread what it means to be a leader. You should want everyone to be successful.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Vendor Specialist/Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Vendor Specialist/Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable and diverse work environment.
    Great work and life balance.
    Discounts.

Cons

High work load, low pay.
    Poor communication among management team.
    Minimal raises.
    Poor training.

Advice to Management

Take initiative to lead, train, and promote growth among associates. Make sure all managers are on the same page with goals and policies for the store.

10. "Starter job for sales experience"

Former Employee - Fragrance Specialist in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Fragrance Specialist in Victorville, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and gratis for the beauty department

Cons

Low pay, Disorganized management,
    Management playing favorites,
    Technically not full time hours even if you're hired for full time

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites