Macy's Reviews in Stamford, CT | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Macy's (More than 10 years)

Pros

greet customers, help them with their selections and inquieries, encourage customers to open up new stores credits accts, ring them up at point of sales and set up floor display and maintain the floor environement.

Cons

for being working there for so long, 20 yrs, everything is great.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Uses you"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stamford, CT

Pros

Decent part time job. Good for students who are looking for extra money. Right next to the training station. Near Uconn.

Cons

Very little advancement opportunities. Very low pay. You do a lot of recovery. And I personally think Macy's is very unorganized.

3. "Sad, enjoyed some aspects but couldn't stand the poor top management and firing of good managers"

Former Contractor - Sales Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Contractor - Sales Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Discount? Back office sales? In on promotions.

Cons

Terrible treatment, employees are on call slaves. Work when they want or your out, no living wage. No water in breakroom, vending machines cost more in the breakroom then in the mall...that is how far the exploitation goes.

Advice to Management

Better compensation and treatment of staff. Some departments were not held to the same standard or responsibility as others. Poor management example given.

"Short-term stint but a wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the supervisor to co-workers, everyone worked as a team. No superiority complexes. Although it was work, the atmosphere was congenial and supportive which helped the days melt away.

Cons

The pay simply was not enough to sustain me. Also, it seems that promoting of individuals have no rhyme or reason, and those who are less qualified move up the ladder while the go-getters stay in the trenches.

Advice to Management

They should strongly consider a higher hourly rate for employees; hard workers need to feel appreciated.

"A Lot Of Work For Little Pay"

Former Employee - Women's Shoes Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Women's Shoes Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At least at Macy's you're not working knee deep in a clogged septic tank.

Cons

I worked for Macy's last year. As my background is in management, I was invited in to interview for a management position only to be told that they had all "just been filled." The only opening I could get would be in selling women's shoes -- something I knew zero about -- with the "bonus" being that I could earn "hefty" commissions on top of the absurdly low starting salary. The first danger sign came when my actual starting salary turnd out to be even lower than I had been promised in the interview. Then I discovered I'd earn no commissions until after my daily sales total hit an impossibly high plateau. Adding to my dissatisfaction, I was only allowed to work part time (with no benefits) and as a result was on duty only a couple of times over the course of some weeks. It's tough to eat and pay rent on such meager and intermittent earnings. As the weeks went by, I came to realize that most of the ladies who'd stop by would try on five or six pairs of shoes -- all of which I had to locate in and return to the dimly lit and poorly organized back room -- and then they'd wind up buying none of them. Why? Because as soon as they find a style, size and manufacturer they liked, they'd write down the specifics, go home and order the same shoes from an online merchant for far less than what Macy's was charging! It didn't help that in addition to selling shoes I had to constantly clean up and restock displays, etc. all of which cut deeply into time I could have spent actually selling and therefore inching toward my daily sales goal. The closest I ever came to reaching my plateau was one utterly exhausting day when I hit 78%. I could have easily made far more money as an assistant mustard spreader at MacDonald's. This year I got a card in the mail from Macy's asking me to come back and work there again. Are they kidding? I don't even shop there any more -- because, as the ladies cheerfully explained, you can get the same stuff Macy's sells for a heck of lot less elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Although my management experience has largely been in the recruiting, organization, direction and motivation of employee teams for maximum efficency and productivity, I was never given the oppportunity to apply any of those skills to anything at Macy's. I did get to expeience what upper management at Macy's had insulated itself against: what life in the trenches is really like for their undervalued and underpaid employees. I saw lots of ways that Macy's could improve morale, sales and efficency at little or no cost -- but the tone in the store was that no one was the least bit interested. This marked the first time I 've worked anywhere where the staff had an ingrained "take the money and run" attitude which reflected their lack of pride in their company and their work. Maybe I've been spoiled, but I'm used to working with true professionals who are dedicated to their craft and take great personal pride in it -- the kind of folks who work as if everything they touch has their name and reputation riding on it. You don't find that at Macy's. Instead you find people thankful, in this Obama economy, for any kind of a job simply because they need every nickel they can take home. They don't ENJOY their job or draw any sense of personal satisfaction or fulfillment out of it. It's just a desperatioin source of income. If they could make ten cents more an hour doing virtually anything else, they would.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance is really appreciated here and the employee discount :)

Cons

I dont see any cons

7. "Terrible Employment Experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Face-to-face sales experience

Fairly welcoming staff

Decent discounts at specific times of the year

Product-specific bonuses in certain departments (even where no monetary bonus is offered)

Cons

Scheduling is not handled in-house, which causes frustration even for established employees who's daily schedule doesn't really change.

When I was employed, there was little-to-no clarity on what I was being employed to do. I was interviewed to be an admin assistant, hired to be a permanent part-time fragrance salesperson with commission, and let go with one week's notice as a seasonal temp ringer, stripped of commission. I Was given no documentation along the way. Management and supervisors had no idea what my position was, and despite promises of moving forward, was never actually contacted one way or the other.

Work environment can be passive-aggressive at times

Advice to Management

Let your local admins work on local schedules instead of outsourcing all schedules to a computer in OH, and please provide thorough clarity on what people are being hired for before they're hired, not just before they're let go (and not even given a week's notice).

"Don't let the credit card threats get to you, use the job for seasonal work then leave!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stamford, CT

Pros

Coworkers are generally good company
    You can get the hours you want to put in + more (usually)
    On certain days your 20% discount can increase
    There is a possibility to advance into a different department if you do well

Cons

The pay if you're non-commission. If you do have commission, you'll get a bit more...but you're still poor
    Certain managers are hard workers, other managers are not. Tough luck if your manager is one of the "nots"
    Explaining the coupon policy to customers
    If you're on the clothing level, your work will never get done

Advice to Management

Not sure how you can expect the world from employees making minimum wage. Morale is low at all levels. The company needs an internal makeover.

9. "Very happy while employed there"

Current Employee - Sales in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales in Stamford, CT

Pros

Nice people good salary happy to go to work

Cons

None maybe just inventory night!

Advice to Management

Good job at rewarding and promoting employees who really work hard and deserve it. Hours were flexible and fair vacation time was very generous.

Showing 9 of 14,281 reviews