Macy's Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"AST"

Former Employee - AST Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - AST Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The job is full of simple task and can have a fun team environment. The schedule can also be relatively flexible.

Cons

The pay is minimal and the task can pile on quickly. At times you may have to juggle and work on upwards of 10 projects at a time.

Advice to Management

The management micromanages at times and actually makes it harder for employees to finish their task in a timely manner.

2. "Sales come before employees"

Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission was good on busy days, employees around my age were kind, very easy to pick up extra shifts online if you want. No shortage of available shifts.

Cons

I was the only one trained in fine jewelry so my breaks were often withheld because no one knew enough about my area to cover me. Eventually quit because kept on getting yelled at for not closing down fine jewelry cases fast enough, even though manager kept directing customers towards fine jewelry up until closing time and I had to do full case inventory every night!

Advice to Management

Hire more people for the fine jewelry department. Don't patronize employees with "I shouldn't even be giving you a break right now, there's no one to cover you." Breaks are MANDATORY!

3. "Good for students."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an easy job, and the environment is more relaxed compared to other stores which are bigger.

Cons

The pressure to open Macys cards is preposterous. But otherwise everything else is fairly simple and easy to do.

4. "sells"

Current Employee - Sale Associate, Cashier in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Sale Associate, Cashier in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

get good discount and make own schedule

Cons

so much work for little pay

Advice to Management

be more organized

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent since it was $10.15/hour and scheduling was great because I was in high school at the time so it was very beneficial!❤️ I had to wear a dressy type of outfits which was fine but I'm not a dress up kinda of guy and I'm gay and I should be but I'm not! The store I was at was small and the credit card BS was a joke and no one actually really cared but your sales goal!

Cons

The issue with the store I was at in Sunnyvale, California was that the management was a joke and the goals were really stupid! I mean you pick a 4 hour shift and they expect you to ring, return, go-back clothing/products and reaching a goal of $3500-$5000(depending on department though most were over $3500 anyways) and sell 3 Loyalties(Macy cards) a day if not more! Macy's has tried and failed at doing this in regards to pushing their company to a nordstroms standard! That will never happen and at nordstroms they're whole plot is about the sales and commission! Not about a credit card! No one wants anymore credit cards and businesses are failing! Nordstroms may have not been around as much as Macy's but they know how to do business! Macy's should instead actually follow their own store rules on their terms and not other stores because JCPennys is screwed and have had rumors of them not making it due to the lack of business leadership! Also the other issue is that Macy's will hire you and then give you an account number and have you create a login and read the company policies! Who's going to go online and read them?!?! No one and also when you get in trouble or yelled and say " oh you violated a policy therefore you are terminated!". They waited 7 days with suspension to tell me I was fired. Who waits 7 whole days to notify an employees that you are fired?!?! Macy's does so and it creates a high turn over rate and people go to nordstroms! I have had friends who said they are glad they left Macy's because all they care about is there cards and their policies they don't even follow or direct! They need to also hire people who speak English because they had so many Eastern Europeans and it was just a joke! We have had customers leave because of that! Really sad!

Advice to Management

Learn how to opperate your stores properly and efficiently instead of comparing your store to high end stores such as Nordstroms, Coach, Luis Vuitaunn and for Gods sake Blooming Dales! Treat your employees with honesty and integrity! Mr Macy would never have wanted this and would be appalled! If you want a decent job and like high fashion and care about customers please actually do it!

6. "CS A (Holiday floor manager)"

Former Employee - CSA in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - CSA in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

applied for cashier position and was hired as Superviser

Cons

Didn't know a thing about what I was suppose to be doing, absolutely no training for that position. I did get some cash register training.

Advice to Management

You should really have a better training program for that position

7. "I had a wonderful experience working at Macy's in Sunnyvale, Ca."

Former Employee - Cashier and Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier and Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was allowed to run two departments in the evenings and the employees and managers were all like family.

Cons

The only downside was that I could not get off on Sunday's.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management

"This is probably the WORST job I've EVER had!"

Former Employee - Holiday Retail Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Holiday Retail Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ONLY pro to working at this Macy's location was Macy's fabulous online scheduling!

Cons

Most of their management is extremely rude and unhelpful (with one or two exceptions), and the store is very unorganized (borderline ghetto)!

Advice to Management

Instead of scolding associates for not getting any loyalties, Thanks for Sharings, pre-sales, ect. offer them incentive! A few encouraging words goes a LONG way! Also, when an associate is in need of assistance, DON'T ACT LIKE YOU'RE TO GOOD OR TOO BUSY TO ASSIST THEM! As for the presentation of the store, I'd care A LOT more! Instead of instructing associates to throw clothes on random racks, have associates put them where they are supposed to go, and, please, have size associates size the clothes for goodness sake!

Showing 8 of 14,065 reviews