Macy's Support Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 398 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 870 reviews)

1. "Very Beneficial and Rewarding"

Former Employee - Seasonal Support Associate in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Support Associate in Holyoke, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Working at Macy's is a very enriching experience. The location I worked at had an abundance of hardworking, friendly, and understanding individuals who truly enjoyed being at work. The company's emphasis on organization and structure is very apparent, which made it much easier for me and my co-workers to be productive. In addition, my boss was extremely helpful and sympathetic towards all her employees, ensuring that we all were successful.

Cons

Given my personal experience with the company, I can confidently say that I cannot pinpoint any cons regarding working at Macy's.

"Support/Merchandising/Placement"

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

If you are only interested in doing stock work and not cashiering and answering phones they did keep these duties separate from support staff. Typical scheduled window of hours for support staff is consistent on a daily basis, so shifts rarely move around unless there is a special project or inventory count happening.

Cons

Typical retail job issues. Not enough steady hours. Schedule sometimes up in the air until they would offer more hours five minutes before you were scheduled to leave which was frustrating. Little time given for actually doing a proper job straighting up and merchandising an area. If you take pride in your work this can be demoralizing.

3. "Even for retail it's bad"

Current Employee - Support Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Support Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

If you desperately need a paycheck of some kind it's an easy hiring process.

Cons

This isn't a career. Macy's Retail model is outdated, the product is sub par, and costs more than any retail/e-commerce site.

Advice to Management

Become a distribution hub and focus the product offerings. Anything worth buying from Macy's can be found and shipped cheaper elsewhere.

"Very Fun Job"

Former Employee - Support Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Support Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were always super nice and helpful.
    Management was kind and always helped out their employees
    I got to do lots of independent work, and they let you listen to music
    Different things happen everyday

Cons

They make you do lots of work for little pay
    There were weeks were I was only needed one or two days, so paychecks would be slim.
    Having to wake up very early to prep the store could be a chore sometimes
    Black friday

Advice to Management

Increase pay for non commission staff.

5. "Support Associate"

Former Employee - Support Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Support Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team members and the manager were kind and good to work with, the job is not too hard but can require physical exertion. Depending on individual strengths, can be assigned to unloading boxes from the truck or something easier like attaching security devices to high value items. The pay is comparable to similar positions with other companies, but the employee discounts were pretty good.

Cons

Due to the hard times the company is dealing with as a brick and mortar retail business, getting employed full-time was nigh impossible; most of the other team members worked a second job

Advice to Management

Not much to add, the management did a great job providing guidance and looked out for me.

6. "support associate"

Former Employee - Support Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Support Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good management, supportive environment, showed effort to display employee appreciations

Cons

scheduling conflicts, lack of hours

7. "Wouldn't recommend to anyone"

Former Employee - Seasonal Support Associate in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Seasonal Support Associate in Eugene, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seasonal job helps with money for students and others who need it.

Cons

Management at my store was biased and unfair to new employees and favored long time employees regardless of work ethic and work preformed.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

8. "Good starting job, but it gets worse"

Current Employee - Support Associate in Bay Shore, NY
    Current Employee - Support Associate in Bay Shore, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associate discount
    Flexible hours
    Opportunity to move up

Cons

Hectic weekends and holidays with little to no support
    Short-staffed
    Expectations to stay longer all the time

9. "Some good, mostly bad"

Former Employee - Support Associate

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly flexible scheduling, easy PTO system, nice coworkers, lots of freedom if you've gained managers' trust, weekly pay check.

Cons

Company is falling apart internally. Store managers are only interested in their pay checks and care very little for employee's opinions and ideas. Sales supervisors never knew what was going on. Super negative managers also create negative environments.

Inventory loads are ridiculous. One week you'll have a total of 12 pallets for 5 days of work, the next you might have 50-60 pallets in a week. Never made sense why the company would pile 20,000+ markdowns on top of heavy inventory weeks plus huge sales, which also affected fulfillment loads. The store location I worked for also never complied with safety policies, with expired freight elevators, etc.

Asset Protection is also a joke! They treat people (mostly employees) like criminals and therefore ruin all sense of mutual trust in the stores.

Advice to Management

Be there for your employees. Stop putting credit above employee needs. If your employees are happy, your customers are happy! Also, take responsibility for your own mistakes and shortcomings. District Managers shouldn't leave giant disasters for support associates to fix, further pushing back processing and support goals; likewise, store managers shouldn't leave their sales associates helpless on the sales floor because "the guy in Denver" told you to step back and be more supportive.

10. "Support Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Ocala, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers at first. We had a really great team of people in the beginning. Also, they did offer me the flexibility to work around my school schedule at first, but that didn't last long.

Cons

Not enough hours. They did not promote from within the store. I had over 30 years experience in retail and I was never considered for a management position.
    The working conditions in the receiving area were a safety hazard and very dangerous since they were very unorganized. Management always expected you to do 40 hours worth of work in a 20 hour week period. The pay sucked as I was never evaluated and I received only one pay raise in four years.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like human beings and not just like a bunch of programmed robots!