Macy's Technical Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Macy's really is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Technical Designer in New York, NY

Pros

In my experience I had wonderful supervisors and superiors that were always willing to teach and share their knowledge. There is a lot of room for growth and advancement at Macy's. Also there is a special training program that was implemented while I was working there specifically for entry level positions that is actually a lot of fun. Besides the work aspect, Macy's is very involved in the community and giving back which is very rewarding. This entails lots of fun events that employees can take part in that raise a great deal of money for those in need.

Cons

My one complaint was the consistency in the workload. It was either super busy or nothing at all. Also, some of my peers in more creative positions often complained that not enough creative freedom was allowed.

Advice to Management

Continue with the mentoring and knowledge sharing for entry level employees and the training program. It's very helpful.

"Great benefits, work environment, little room for growth"

Former Employee - Technical Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked at the 11 Penn office in NY. We had summer fridays every year. Definite plus. Also company 401K match was decent (even though the did away with the pension plan)

Work life balance was good
    Lots of opportunities to get involved and volunteer both at work and outside work
    Nice people

Cons

I feel career stagnation after about the 3rd year there but stayed around a few years more thinkingt things would change. I was made to believe I could move over into another area if I completed my development plan to move in that direction but that never happened so I ended up going elsewhere.
    Salary was so so. Yearly raises are like 2%. Even if your brand does really well not everyone who contributed to the success of the brand, necessarily gets a bonus, especially if you are in a "support area" That was disappointing.

Advice to Management

try to align all areas to build stronger teams so everyone feels involved. don't segregate them

3. "You'll go far if.."

Former Employee - Technical Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, many people stay very long. Do a lot for the community. Diverse employee base.
    Flex time, summer Fridays.

Cons

Promotion is difficult if you don't have a cult mentality. Most of the managers appear to be on Prozac and read from a script..
    Too many people aren't eligible for bonuses.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote people who are worthy of promotion, not necessarily the people who Kiss the most a**....

"Technical designer, Sr level"

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers and pay are the only two good things here.

Cons

Treated as a robot, not human. If you're going at what you do, which I am, you're heaped extra work and labels on you until there's no way to keep up. Forced to work on days off, weekends, sick days and if you don't, you're manager starts treating you as if you're not giving your all.
    If you go to HR asking for help to get manager off your back, your manager starts retaliating and gets super nasty. People fill out engagement surveys hoping for any improvement, and after rating boss a zero, no change. Co workers cry, across all departments employees are over worked, frazzled and miserable. You don't expect it to be rainbows and fairy dust, however by far the most oppressive atmosphere I've ever worked in. Told it's a tough year so we're given 2.5% raise, yet CEO gets 39% raise.....?

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, treat people like humans, respect their time off and hire the staff you need.

"Associate Technical Designer"

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People were pretty nice. Product was fun to work on. Great Benefits!

Cons

No room for promotion (everyone stays forever in the upper level positions because the benefits are so good.). The area of the building that I worked in was dark and not very inviting to come to everyday. Human resources wasn't very helpful inner department turmoil.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more opportunities to be promoted. Get better lighting so that its a happier place to come to work to.

6. "Technical design intern for a summer."

Former Intern - Technical Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Technical Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were regular/consistent and they do summer fridays. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and I'd say it's overall a positive work environment.

Cons

At times it was slow and there was not much to do. I heard from employees I worked with that it was hard to transition to other parts or different areas/fields of the company.

Advice to Management

My manager was extremely encouraging and always up for explaining or answering any questions...this is a good example to follow while working with interns.

7. "Good work environment, soft benefits"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great soft benefits, volunteer opportunities, strong annual review process that ties your salary increases to your personal performance, not just company financials

Cons

Personally I was underpaid, very corporate

"Worked really hard and no room to grow within the company"

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing is summer hours you get off at 1 and that's if you managers lets you go

Cons

No room to grow, two forget about working hard for that promotion. More work with no raises. Benefits are lousy worst health insurance plans and extremely expensive

Advice to Management

Promote better managers