Macy's Visual Merchandiser Reviews | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 397 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 870 reviews)

1. "Visual Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IT is an ok job

Cons

People are awesome to work with

Advice to Management

Need to improve management

2. "Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people were awesome. Management worked with you, as far as hours and time off.

Cons

The pay could of been better. Moves and projects needed to be planned better. Hours at times were very long, to make up for bad planning.

Advice to Management

Review floor moves before moving merchandise to make sure it fits. Would save a lot of wasted time and energy.

3. "No flexibility"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are average, discounts are nothing to be wowed by.

Cons

management doesn’t care if you have a life. Expect to work long hours getting paid like a sales associate but doing work of a construction worker, problems using benefits you’ve earned over the years because of management.

4. "Seasonal visual merchandiser"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Visual Merchandiser in Columbia, MD
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Visual Merchandiser in Columbia, MD

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment. Great experience working on Holiday setup. The visual manager had given enough flexibility to manage the tasks in the time frame.

Cons

The company Only hires seasonally for the holidays. The setup took only one month to complete. There should be more scope for seasonal projects round the year.

"After working here, I knew this would be my last time in Retail..."

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Springfield, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great to develop skills, especially if you’re a college graduate. However, this location became a “top 50” store, so they only bring in talent internally. The current Visual manager is a gem.

Cons

The Merchandising team as a whole was a mess, which held up our work. Literally only one or two people that knew what they were doing. Sales staff did the minimum to help maintain our displays during weekend rushes (even daily.) The company as a whole is just not fun to work for anymore. The pay just isn’t sufficient for the role. The store’s HR/Admin department was also a hot mess and most of the time, not helpful at all.

Unfortunately, their healthcare and LOA departments are trash. I was held up from coming back from work after a surgery because that team kept losing paperwork, never picked up the phone after multiple calls a day. It was atrocious and solidified my decision to leave long before I was able to.

Advice to Management

More development classes for management, improve merchandising team, more learning and development classes for visual associates, not just their managers. All managers aren’t equal.

"Visual Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work in the stores are typically very nice. It’s a good step into the visual merchandising world; you learn a lot about store standards, placement of fixtures, and how to create dramatic statements.

Cons

Not paid enough for the amount of tasks an employee is expected to do. Not a lot of recognition. Not enough career opportunities for support staff.

Advice to Management

People in this position should make a lot more money than they do. It’s a hard and at times a dangerous job. A lot of heavy lifting is required and your on tall ladders a majority of the time hanging heavy signs or changing wall formatting.

"Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Skokie, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my job. Its fun and allowed me to use my creativity to enhance the shopping environment. Most of my co-workers were awesome and fun. Each weeks different and you learn a lot (mainly on your own though). Holiday was my all-time favorite time of year bc I got to decorate the store with holiday decor. Macy's has a lot of product so learning how to merchandise for a variety of demographics was fun. You also work with so many different brands and I enjoyed creating brand specific trends for those brands. Mannequins and windows were always a good time. I also enjoyed getting to build awesome displays.

Cons

- Job can be stressful at times, which isnt good when your boss can't handle stress.
    - I had to learn most stuff on my own since training was not done. Ask questions had to be on a regular basis bc nobody was trained how to do something.
    - Communication with visual manager and team wasnt the best. This made working conditions tense and stressful lots of times.
    - Advancement didn't look great. Since you were not set up for success advancement wont happen.
    -Manager talks bad about team and gossips to team members about other members of the team.
    -Credit for work was not really given.
    -Competitive environment made it hard to work with some members of the team.
    - Since manager was always stressed it was hard to work at times. You could never tell what mood he was in and often would get talked down to and screamed at. This is the main reason I left.
    -Tight deadlines and assignments given at last minute with little time to complete.
    -Very wasteful company. The amount of fixtures and props that get thrown away without ever being used is crazy. Macy's should invest in getting a team together to minimize waste and they would save so much money. The amount of stuff we throw away is crazy and lots of it could be sold online or donated/recycled.
    -Lots of visits that required long hours and hectic schedule at times.
    -Shoppers are messy and lots of times very rude. The things you see people do and act is gross.
    -Organization of fixtures and back rooms needs attention.
    - Lots of times I knew more than my manager. Knowing you could do your bosses job way better is not good.
    -Feedback on work was not given
    - ﹰLots of times you put in a ton of hard work and it would be nice to be recognized with advancement opportunities and pay raises.
    - health insurance is not good and its expensive.

Advice to Management

District and regional managers need to be in the stores more to evaluate the leaders in the store and see firsthand who are the hard workers. Lots of slackers and managers that shouldnt be in a leadership role. I absolutely loved my job and got along great with most teammates. The reason I left was because my direct manager should not be in the position of managing. This made me at times hate my job just because of his negative attitude and unpredictable personality. One day hes your best friend, the next hes yelling at you bc you dont understand directions for a project that he has not communicated correctly. Look at the turnover rate in certain departments. Those with a high turnover rate are those with a bad manager. Listen and engage with teams more. Do random pop in visits bc lots of times those scheduled visits make the store look incredible. Truth is the store rarely looks like this and only looks this good based off the hours of hard work put in. Pay attention to wasteful stores.

8. "You Got A Lotta Potential"

Former Contractor - Visual Merchandiser & Fashion Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Visual Merchandiser & Fashion Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good Structure and Organization within the different divisions, they make an effort to keep the energy up, and provide encouragement & support. There's good teamwork.

Cons

I was contract VM, which went well, & part-time FM, during which I got setup by my manager & HR presented to support this. It is definitely a Seattle/Bellevue issue, where they play cards to special interests. Namely a prominent family who's wife did not want me to have a career there. Too, it becomes apparent Macy's really just looks out for itself, and could look out for it's employees a bit more. Macy's could save a lot of money by just becoming a bit more environmentally conscious. Part of the VM work entails taking down displays and cutting plastic backdrop that gets mostly covered up again with the display goes up. 1)) I'd switch to cardborad when you don't need super gloss, which could be upto 90+% of the time. AND reduce the size as it's mostly covered up anyway. AS A RESULT, you A) save time dismantling and reinstalling displays, B) reduce time cutting backdrop to size, C) save money on time and reduced product size D) you only really need it at the higher vantage point for call to action; again the rest is covered by product. 2) Put Photos on recycled paper. 3) Continue reusing products when ever possible as you already do.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don' t give upper employees, even if lower management or HR, any wiggle room to setup other employees to screw their career over (which is what happen to me; hopefully a Seattle/Bellevue problem, and not so much Macy's). I would encourage incentive programs to be carried through - the cards you hand out, actually lead to some yielded fruit for employees. Also, allow them to get a free coffee on their break every Friday or once a week..., it's a nice not over-the-top perk. And I really disagree with having employees use their own cellphones for work communication. Listen to any feedback for improvements to make employees "happier". Become more environmentally conscious.

9. "visuals"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great i have 40 hours weekly and my weekends are off which is rare in retail. i dont have the benefits cause of my husband but i get paid days off sick days vacation days and i get paid for all federal holidays as well as personal leaves n medical leaves. you can get up to 6 weeks vacation in 1 year. as a visual i never been paid to do something i love so much. i have a blast setting all the new trends and fashion

Cons

sometimes i can work 50 hours in 5 days which sounds good but as a visual i get killed with alot of hard work. alot of lifting50 pounds plus bending breaking building there is nothing that we dont do in the building. we pretty much run the whole store with our mtm.

Advice to Management

no/horrible communication skills with the people of top. need to have more meetings with support teams about standards and need to learn how to store a stock room

10. "It was ok not bad"

Current Employee - Seasonal Visual Merchandiser in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Visual Merchandiser in McLean, VA

Pros

Friendly management, Flexible schedule, location is so convenience for me because it is so walking distance to metro, employee discount is very good

Cons

Pay is horribly low . Such along training time. It took 3 days to finish my training. I have watched so many videos about sales and cashier and Im not even working as a sales assosiate

Advice to Management

No advice really