Macy's Reviews in Walnut Creek, CA | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Decent pay for the work given. Fun atmosphere."

Former Employee - Cosmetic Counter Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Counter Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, offers competitive pay, room for growth in the company and vendor side, gratis (free product), product training, great discount throughout the whole store

Cons

Retail hours, a lot of events on the weekends, not enough employees for coverage, pressure to make credit goals, unnecessary tasks that interrupt business

Advice to Management

Understand that there are multiple duties that we have that come from different partners in the business (vendors and retailer). Sometimes it gets hard to balance them simultaneously, along with coaching our associates and meeting our own personal goals too.

2. "BeneftCosmetics Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Relation between associates and clients were amazing.

Cons

Poor management, no hands on or product knowledge was discussed through training process. Unfair pay.

Advice to Management

To provide the appropriate coaching needs to each department if you see that they're struggling. Also department managers must have better communication skills amongst associates to reach company standards. Well deserved pay to experienced associates. To also provide more than a 25 cent raise each year after your "reviews". Department managers need to now the difference between delegating tasks than trying to assert their authority because they're"above us"

"Sales associate in the San Francisco East Bay area"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule is the main pro. Good for part-time students, retirees, and those needing a second job for extra income. Coworkers are pleasant.

Cons

Very low pay, fast food pays better. A person could not support themselves. Management gets little training and many of them tend to micromanage. Older employees are not treated the same as younger workers and given little respect.

Advice to Management

Add more full time people over 50. Many have had lots of work experience and have a lot to offer. Promote them, especially more women. Age should not matter especially since people do not stay at Macy's very long.

"Macys"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macys has been a great place working part time. They offer a decent hourly pay with many employee perks. Employee recognition, discounts, and team building activities. People are very nice and friendly.

Cons

They could invest more in employee feedback on suggestions. Some equipment needs to be replaced.

Advice to Management

Improve lighting for merchandising team in the early morning hours, fix & replace equipment in a timely manner, improve communication during onboarding of new employees, set up mentoring/buddy system for new employees, identify disaster team members, improve first aid stations, schedule extra recovery staff for day after big sale weekends, offer more smile cards to all employees, not just sales.

5. "Macy's"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

good work environment, friendly employees

Cons

commission was extremely small to none

6. "Great start in the world of business"

Former Employee - Mens Shoes Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Mens Shoes Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a fun job at the young ago of 20 and starting in the bedding department was actually fun cause I learned a lot about bed spreads and sheets and stuff. Later I moved into commission sales in men's and women's shoes and the grind was fun and if you have a department with good people it makes your work days more tollerable.

Cons

Not a lot of growth and mangers usually give their favorites everything they want. Commission associates are entitled to raises due to commission formula and managers hardly listen to feedback and mostly worry about sales goals and opening charge cards.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same and listen to valuable feedback felm people who actually do the job and interact with "clients".

"Macy's is a fun, energetic place to work that gives you a lot to do throughout your shift."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are great, company benefits, keeps you busy, treated like family, works well with your schedule, growth within the company is encouraged, successes are praised and celebrated.

Cons

The pay is not that great, sometimes associates aren't that mindful of each other, and sometimes the managers just give the customers what they want when there is a policy set in place that they want you to enforce.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to follow a policy that is set in place or do not ask us to enforce it because then we appear ignorant when we tell the customer no but you say yes like it was an easy fix. Also, better pay even if it's just a slight adjustment would make a world of difference in your associates lives.

8. "Selling Floor Recovery"

Former Employee - Holiday Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Holiday Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to help recover the store over the holidays.

Cons

They are bad with hiring people back even after working for 2 years.

9. "Support Associate"

Current Employee - Support Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Support Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees receive a 20% discount on purchases.

Cons

Low pay and very small raises

"Mediocre Experience"

Former Employee - Salesman in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Salesman in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, lenient work schedule

Cons

Sales competition within the team

Showing 14 of 14,548 reviews