Macy's Reviews in Warwick, RI | Glassdoor

Jeff Gennette
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position (in 372 reviews)

• Poor management - pushing Macys credit cards - doesn't care about their associates (in 848 reviews)

1. "sas"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it was a great job.. the staff worked together well..

Cons

there was nothing that I disliked about the job. it was great

2. "It's just a low-end retail job for the young, old or uneducated"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a holiday job that's ending soon

Cons

Where do I start. The days drag. Most of the people are superficially pleasant but of course they are all backstabbing and gossip queens. The pay is so low it is basically a joke. I did it for a month during the holidays just to keep my head above water while interviewing for much higher level jobs. All the employees complain about customer abuse but I never experienced it. The location I was in was very cliquey. Mostly uneducated Hispanic women. Met a few good people while there.

Advice to Management

Have a better checkout system for customers. The answer isn't more cashiers because no matter how many registers are open lines are still out the door. The problem is the complicated registers that require 5 steps for every process. The hard to remove security tags also slow EVERYTHING Down!! And it doesn't help that there's a code we need to enter before removing it!!

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

Pros

Flexible schedule, you are able to pick your own hours online as well as post hours you don't want, also great discount when combined with sales or Macy Money (money earned for attempting to open accounts or given as incentives at various times of the year).

Cons

Either micro managed or no management at all, need to find an in between, also sometimes sales goals were to high on weekdays at times nobody shops

4. "Good sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people good sales.great deals

Cons

Not enough hours. High lay off rate

"associate commission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexable schedule, discount, macey money when you open up a charge.

Cons

They won't give you more hours but will continue to hire other part-timers or flex people. You can finally get a raise at your yearly review and if sales are down or you don't have clients or open enough charges the following year they take it all back. So you can easily after 5 years be back where you started.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hard working employees you have! Taking money away or having a manager that tells employees you can be easily re-placed is not a way to motivate people. For the amount of money Macy's pays they can easily be replaced as well!!

"Seasonal"

Former Employee - Recovery Associate in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Recovery Associate in Warwick, RI

Pros

Seasonal job didn't last very long. Co-worked were very nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing. Minimal work/life balance as they want you to be in at all hours possible.

7. "Alot of work but good esperience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

Pros

Face paced evironment and the customers.

Cons

Management, salary, hours (very little), flexability

8. "Working at Macy's"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

Pros

Great company to work for, great policies and very complete training it really helped my customer service skills.

Cons

Being a salesperson at Macy's is really getting out to the floor and selling, it is not only register machine and organizing the fitting room. During the training the teach you how to reach out to customers and basically get them to buy more than what they are looking for and there is a goal to reach, so there is pressure and employees are not really motivated to do. Another cons is the no item limits for the fitting room, it's just a mess.

Advice to Management

Please limit the items to take in the fitting rooms and please add more incentives to your employees, I'm sure they'll sell more.

9. "conflicted feelings, wish the store manager would just let me make magic without being on on my back all the time!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union store, general wage increases annually because of that!! 20 paid days off, 8 sick days for people with 10 years or more. double time on holidays, again UNION store. Decent medical plans, and dental plans.

Cons

Store Management not on the same page!!! Treat everyone the same , stop the favoritism.

Advice to Management

The return policy needs to have some restrictions, we are taking back merchandise from 2011?? We are taking back merchandise from other retailers?? Really?? Pitting sales associates against each other to make a sales goal?? The customers can feel the tension and the pressure that you put on us and it is difficult to hide!!! How about Common Sense Sales? Treat the customer the way you would like to be treated, and not interrogate them with open ended questions that they do not want to answer.

Showing 9 of 15,148 reviews