Macy's Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette
Jeff Gennette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent within a salaried position" (in 393 reviews)

• "Did I mention the forceful pushing of Macy's credit cards" (in 868 reviews)

1. "An Outstanding Crew!!"

Former Employee - Holiday Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Holiday Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team their maintains the areas moving and give great efforts plus are doing their very best to give customers high standard of services,
    First ever experience working with the company and i weren't ever disappointed of being welcomed.

Cons

eh i guess when closing and you got a pickup/ride that doesn't know of employees exit, it makes a slightly few mindsets get frustrated to know where to arrive for non yet drivers license employees.

2. "cashier/customer support"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good atmosphere for work, great management.

Cons

there is nothing to say as cons

Advice to Management

don't lay off employees,and increase base pay

3. "Sales Associates"

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Arlington, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility, flexibility, flexibility

Cons

Low Wage, bad management, poor work life balance

Advice to Management

Just temporary work until you find something better

"After working here, I knew this would be my last time in Retail..."

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Springfield, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great to develop skills, especially if you’re a college graduate. However, this location became a “top 50” store, so they only bring in talent internally. The current Visual manager is a gem.

Cons

The Merchandising team as a whole was a mess, which held up our work. Literally only one or two people that knew what they were doing. Sales staff did the minimum to help maintain our displays during weekend rushes (even daily.) The company as a whole is just not fun to work for anymore. The pay just isn’t sufficient for the role. The store’s HR/Admin department was also a hot mess and most of the time, not helpful at all.

Unfortunately, their healthcare and LOA departments are trash. I was held up from coming back from work after a surgery because that team kept losing paperwork, never picked up the phone after multiple calls a day. It was atrocious and solidified my decision to leave long before I was able to.

Advice to Management

More development classes for management, improve merchandising team, more learning and development classes for visual associates, not just their managers. All managers aren’t equal.

5. "FLEX pricing associate ! beware! They lied on the advertisment!"

Current Contractor - Pricing Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Contractor - Pricing Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Macy's as a contractor

Pros

You get 20% off using their credit card or prepaid card!

Cons

They completely lied in their advertisment. I sign up for PART TIME. On the ad it said PART TIME not FLEX. But then you go through the phone intreview and they say flex. In case you don't know flex is pretty much low class of the chain in macy. It means you are not part of the team. It means I quote from the HR lady, "You get offered hours after the full time and part timers can't come in and your only needed the beginning of the weeks and the end of the weeks" Not only that I waited a whole MONTH to get called for my first day of actual work. In fact I am still waiting currently May 2, 2018. I got hired a month ago and I waiting to meet my manager. WORD OF ADVICE: Always ask if the postion is part time or Flex before you start a phone interview. If you find out its flex just tell them NO. In addition, I was always talk down by the people in the HR. I felt like I wasn't talk to like an adult more like a child. If your like me and you stupidily believe that finally you have a job let me tell you that its just a big mistake you may regret.

6. "Good experience and room to grow"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay- each your you’ll eligible for bonus and a pay raise depending on which position you hold

Vacation time
    Flexible work hours
    Co workers

Cons

Health benefit deductibles
    Low mileage for travel- most companies give you the government rate but Macy’s gave below that
    Low job security. Be prepared for layoffs every January

Advice to Management

Need to do better with training so people are ready to move to the next level.

"Worst Job Experience Ever"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None pros of working at macys

Cons

The company is turning into a joke they could care less about the wellbeing of their employees. If you would like having fun entering while working forget about it.

Advice to Management

Just close down the company is a joke no wonder nordstrom is doing much better.

8. "Part Time"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Self scheduling was always great ,also getting paid every week.

Cons

The training process could've been better.

Advice to Management

Please just work on the training. Maybe it could be longer and with actual customers, so that new employees aren't just thrown out on the floor and clueless.

"You can do better!!"

Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Wheaton, MD
    Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Wheaton, MD

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cash and clothing bonus/discounts, Macy money discounts. If its the season you will get tons of hours.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership, minimal to NO growth potential, zero - none team players in the store. Always short on staff and the present staff lack of knowledge (communication, technology, courtesy). Overworked and underpaid. Voice is never heard. Terrible leadership, if you have mediocre skills in management Macy's will hire you. Company NEVER, listens to an associate. They will completely disregards what their customer tells them. Spend less money on CEO, bodyguards, private cars and private jets, train well your managers and shift leaders specifically in People skills, customer service, HR then you wouldn't have to lay off thousands of people every year. Pay your associates more specifically those leading and the good ones, and they will take better care of your customers and your buildings.
    Some of their equipment NEVER works properly an/or are broken. Mold and mildew everywhere, regional management knew about it and did nothing. Store handles very gettish clients because they seem care less for everything. They invested $0 in keeping it safe for customers and associates. Disgusting display of leadership, they should be embarrassed. Customers complained constantly about the smell in fitting rooms and bathrooms, again they did nothing.

Advice to Management

Hire more prepared personal when it comes to "operations, managers and house keeping". They are the key to a good shift and getting the ball rolling. So far Macy's is a terrible company, who does not care about it's employees. Your managers are very Discriminatory and NO ONE, NOT EVEN HR does anything about performing such wrong practices. Macy's Allowes hostile work environment and played favorites. Its a very unclean environment in all aspects. Don't expect to get any help from management; it's a disaster! They expect you to know everything without proper training and or explanation's when it come to floor work. Very unfair environment!

10. "Good for Extra Money but not long term"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet new people
    Make extra money during the holidays
    Good employee discounts

Cons

Lazy management
    No room to grow unless you know someone higher up
    Amount of work to Pay radio is poor

Showing 232 of 15,806 reviews