Madden Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at Madden Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the size company Madden is the benefits are incredible! Great events sponsored by the Culture Committee. Senior Management and owners are very approachable. The people are the best!

Cons

Hard to move up because it's a smaller company.

Jan 16, 2018 – HR Director

So glad to hear you're pleased with the many offerings Madden has for it's employees. Many of these came to be from feedback we heard directly from our employees. Depending on the role, it can be... More

2. "Temp"

Former Employee - Temp Order Picker in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Temp Order Picker in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Madden Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok pay
    Bonuses when felt to be given

Cons

No respect from leads and supervisors
    Expect to hear Bill walk the floor complaining about paying workers
    Unsanitary bathrooms and lunch room
    No room to grow in company

Advice to Management

Listen to temps complaints
    Don't have people fill out apps for company knowing you will not hire them

May 2, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to candidly review us. While we hope to get positive reviews, we realize that there’s always work to be done.

In our research, we are paying competitively with the... More

3. "Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at Madden Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong benefits, good pay, nice environment, nice people, challenging work

Cons

Smaller so not so much upward mobility

Advice to Management

New clients please

Jan 16, 2018 – HR Generalist

Glad to hear you're pleased with what we offer and where/who you work with! We strive to hire and retain the best. We recently hired several very experienced sales executives to grow our business... More

4. "Madden Communications"

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Madden Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to commit to and build with if you are seeking stability. I've enjoyed being apart of this company since day 1. Those who have worked here for long periods of time are great to go to for advise and any questions. There is no hesitation when it comes to helping one another. Everyone greets you with a smile here. Not to mention, the awesome benefits offered here.

Cons

I'm approaching my 90 day mark and have no cons thus far.

Dec 20, 2017 – HR Generalist

We're thrilled to hear you've had such a positive experience so far! Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts in writing. We wish you much success in your new role here!

5. ""Overall great company. Culture and company morals could use improvement.""

I worked at Madden Communications full-time

Pros

- There are tons of employees that have been there for years and are very knowledgeable about their jobs.
    - There are opportunities to transfer to different departments when you're looking for new opportunities.
    - The implementation of the culture committee has boosted morale and employees look forward to company events.
    - HR informs employees of new opportunities in the company, so you have the ability to personally recommend individuals for open positions at the company.

Cons

Although this company has some pros, the cons outweigh the pros. This was my experience working at Madden. The company was a lot better a few years ago, and over time the overall morale has decreased. When most companies would send communication to their employees of the national tragic events that have happened this year, Madden didn't take the time to send any communication about it at all. Even when employees voiced the desire to donate canned goods to Texas, Florida, etc, nothing was done by managers, supervisors, or HR. Madden even has clients that have offices and employees in those areas and they still refused to contribute or encourage their employees to contribute to relief efforts.

Madden also doesn't fight for employees that are approached by competitors. They just let them leave. There are plenty of employees that have the knowledge and capacity to train new employees when needed and transfer their knowledge, but instead they treat everyone as if they are replaceable and unimportant. Even when they've been at the company for over 10 years, they still treat everyone as if they are disposable. They also have a few instances of nepotism throughout different departments in the company.

As a previous review mentioned, HR is extremely unapproachable and aggressive when you try and ask questions. They don't even bother to conduct exit interviews to see what the company can improve on.

Lastly, they fail to offer the training necessary to do your job correctly. This leaves everyone in the department doing their jobs differently, so there is no consistency. When you're a new employee, you're left on your own after about a week in "training" to just "figure it out". This leads to mistakes, miscommunication, and eventually it costs Madden money to correct these mistakes. The executives don't have insight to the day-to-day, so often times the employees that are promoted to managers don't have the knowledge or capacity to be a manager that your employees respect and look up to.

Advice to Management

- Pay attention to your employees and their opinions
    - Offer continuing education
    - Treat employees with respect and show them that they are valued
    - Conduct thorough training when new employees are hired to avoid mistakes and miscommunication throughout departments.
    - HR needs to have an open door policy and conduct exit interviews to both employees that were laid off as well as employees that quit. This will give insight to the issues that employees have in each department.

Nov 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the time and effort you put into writing a candid review. We’re happy to hear that you had some positive experiences in your time here and thank you for your years of service... More

6. "Great startup opportunity"

Former Employee - Art Director in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Art Director in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at Madden Communications (More than a year)

Pros

The agency at the time was for a big client of Maddens as a joint venture. It offered a lot of leeway as far as creative input. Not sure how it is now but if you like the agency environment then this is your cup of tea. It was a great experience for me and I truly appreciated it. I hired most of the team there and I miss them.

Cons

Get ready to work for it as this position is not for the feint of heart. Hard work just comes with the agency environment so no big surprise there. You won't always work longer hours but if you don't expect it to happen once in a while you're kidding yourself. This is not necessarily a "con" per se as much as it is the voice of reason. There is also a lot of cookie cutter fill work but it's a necessary evil which pays the bills and ultimately, your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Try to make a conscious effort to show more appreciation for your worker bees. You did plenty in the beginning but it waned and for all I know you may already be doing it. You don't have to spend lots of money to do it. Be creative about it. After all... Other than that, thank you for the opportunity and keep fighting the good fight! I do miss working there.

Nov 2, 2017 – HR Generalist

Such great feedback - thank you! The Studio is still running strong with new opportunities coming in that we're all excited about!

7. "Supervisor"

Pros

great Co Workers, fun job

Cons

communication from my direct Manager was terrible. This person rarely kept us Supervisors informed on key pieces of information we needed to know. when we were left to decide to move or quit I don't think they cared

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow, you lost good Supervisors and long time employees to save a buck and I hear its now such a great environment.......best of luck

Oct 19, 2017 – HR Generalist

There have been some bumps in the road with our necessary move to WI. We continue to work with our employees to make their work environment as positive as possible through different communication... More

8. "Unbalanced work/personal lifestyle"

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Itasca, IL

I worked at Madden Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Long hours offset compensation. Unpredictable work volume and unreasonable demands to complete distribution of products.

Advice to Management

Be fair, eliminate "Good ole boy" business practice, and rightly reward valuable, dedicated staff. The "who you know" philosophy has got to go. Your distribution business is provided by the hourly crew that make you and the company look good. They work hard, reward them.

Oct 19, 2017 – HR Generalist

We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your time here at Madden. Your comments will be shared with the Leadership team. We encourage our employees to speak to their direct supervisors... More

"Great longitivity"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Madden Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Human Resources
    Great benefits
    Long-term staff

Cons

Upper Management Support
    Sales-centric employee recognition

Advice to Management

Visit the DCs more often and get to know the people that do the work day in and day out to maintain the business.

Aug 3, 2017 – HR Generalist

We appreciate you taking the time to review us! Glad to hear you've had some positive experiences with our tenured staff and robust benefits package!

Since our move to WI our leadership team has... More

"Do not work in the "Studio""

I have been working at Madden Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You do receive a paycheck...

Cons

Do not work in the studio. It was started nearly 5 years ago now, and it's a shame that it has not improved. The turnover rate is high, and the team morale is very low. There are more processes than actual design work. You have to punch in and out (of 2 systems!) even though you are salary. There is no flexibility here.

Advice to Management

The human resources department is a joke. They are rude and condescending, and fire employees for speaking up.

Pay attention to your team. They are the ones getting the work done. It would be worth your time to listen to them.

Jul 26, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’d like to address a few areas commented on.

Due to client contractual obligations regarding the privacy of their assets, it’s difficult to allow a... More