Maddock Douglas Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Maddock Douglas CEO and Founding Partner G. Michael Maddock
G. Michael Maddock

"Great culture full of passionate people"

I have been working at Maddock Douglas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A fantastic place to work filled with a wonderful "band of misfits" who come together each day to work passionately to solve their client's challenges - big or small. There's a never-ending amount of opportunity to learn something new and get involved in a variety of work. The work environment is very laid back and hours are flexible, so long as you get your work done. Everyone contributes and has your back and you can truly be yourself here. I have nothing but respect for the people who work here...They are super-smart, dedicated, collaborative, hilarious and quirky all at once. I couldn't imagine another place to call my home away from home.

Cons

Although the office is conveniently located right by the Metra and working from home on occasion is okay, being located outside of downtown Chicago sometimes makes it difficult to keep younger talent.

Not a lot of formal mentoring or training offered but it's a great environment for self-starters and those who learn best from jumping right in.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring additional junior-level talent to infuse even more fresh thinking and energy into the mix.

"A very turbulent company"

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time

Pros

The company is located right off the Chicago UP West Metra line. Located in a smaller downtown area in a suburb with a selection of nice restaurants around. There are some really great people who work in the trenches trying to make a difference.

Cons

The CONS outweigh the pros. There is a sense of frustration and disillusion that underlies the whole atmosphere of the company. At one point the company was over 60 people and now is down in the neighborhood of 20 because of several rounds of layoffs and employees finding other jobs. Of those 20 many of them are down to partial hours. There is a mantra of "Ideas from Anywhere" but the reality is management doesn't seem to listen to those outside of the leadership team. The management style is reactive rather than active. They are more involved with trying to manage crisis rather than having a cohesive plan for growth. Management communications is usually carried out at a morning meeting called the 9@9, and consists minor things that are good news, but rarely are the dire situations the company is facing brought out during this time. If there is bad new to be had, then either a company meeting is called, or people are told in private meetings. MD is a management heavy company, with more senior leader people on the roster. In the past few years there has been much churn in upper management. MD fired the president of the firm over a year ago and replaced him. This hasn't seemed to have helped the company situation. There also has been lots of turn over in other areas. Employees where told that because of the current financial situation they would be required to "wear many hats" which means they would need to work harder, on things they weren't originally hired for, with no pay raise, because the company doesn't want to take on more overhead.

MD began it's life as a boutique branding and marketing firm, and then tried to morph itself into a innovation firm based on their "Mind to Market" philosophy where they would come up with new ideas and products and take the project through till the end and help produce the advertising collateral and branding. In reality this rarely happened, tho MD still touts this idea on its website. They still hold on to one or two companies who are branding and marketing clients. The company has very little sales outreach at this point and has no real dedicated sales staff. They are trying to rely on their "Thought Leadership" as a sales engine by speaking at various events to bring in new clients. On the process side of things expect to work long hours putting together PowerPoint decks. This is because there is no project management in place. Deliverables are usually finished at the last minute. You will encounter team imposed deadlines that have no reality based on the client's timeline and if the client's timeline changes the internal deadline usually doesn't move.

This boom and bust cycle isn't new, and has been happening on a regular basis, however the current down turn has been the worst one in its history. Because of the company's current financial status, its continuing talent drain, and the inability of its management group to admit that their decisions have put them in this situation, makes it difficult to even recommend MD as a good candidate for a career option.

According to Glassdoor, Maddock Douglas is an engaged company here which means they look at this site. However the information listed in the information is off. They list 51 to 100 employees which is less than they have at this point. Their yearly revenues do not seem to reflect the prior 2 years of financial issues.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your business model. You may need to realign your company to a more practical type of business due to the staff you have on hand. Listen to those on the front lines, and take their advice, do not dismiss it automatically. MD needs to take a good look at itself, quit billing itself as something it isn't just because MD says something doesn't it make it true.

"Lots of uncertainty with little or no communication"

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company with a small team of consultants, that tries to focus on innovation, new products, and services.

Cons

Company has been in a constant state of downsizing for the last few years.
    Teams are small and employees are pressured to work long hours to complete projects
    Work life balance is nonexistent except for partners.
    Company has no project management
    No real knowledge or sense of the time involved to complete projects.
    Emphasis on doing work fast and moving on to the next project
    No real communication in the senior leadership about project directions
    Meetings are numerous, and mostly useless, breaking down into conversations of project direction and scope.
    Project creep is rampant, and leads to more work with no additional cost being past on to client.
    Company financial situation is doubtful.
    Company leadership insulated from lower level workers.
    Company has no product. The term innovation is used so excessively that its applied to projects that lie outside the company's core abilities. The company is deluded about itself, and what value it brings to the world.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't take advice, they think they know it all. Any advice given would fall on deaf ears.

"Great people; poor leadership"

I have been working at Maddock Douglas full-time

Pros

Unbelievably wonderful people to work with, which makes the job enjoyable.

Cons

Complete lack of direction or ability to move the business development team in the right direction.

"What's the BIG idea?"

Former Employee - MBA Intern in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

I interned for Maddock Douglas the summer between my two year MBA program. Immediately, I felt valued by the team and was engaged in high level work. Executives were extremely accessible and interested in my experience with the company and the work I was doing. Senior management practices what they preach, encouraging a culture of collaboration and innovation- everyone working together towards the next BIG idea.

Smart people. Inspiring atmosphere. Fun + important work.

Cons

I had no complaints during my internship with Maddock Douglas. A majority of my classmates were envious of my experience.

Advice to Management

Grateful for the time I spent at Maddock Douglas. I continue to apply what I learned at MD to my career daily. Keep it up!

"Engagement Leader"

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time

Pros

Amazingly smart and positive team. Really feels like family.

Cons

No real growth plan. Never really knew how to drive the business forward.

Advice to Management

Do some real strategic and business planning. The team is awesome - they need growth to survive.

"Interesting Place to Work"

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees were required to take personality tests that attempted to provide insight into their strengths and weaknesses. Maybe that is not a pro.

Cons

Not a lot of autonomy. There was a "way to do things" even though the credo was innovation. There were too many executive level employees. It seemed like they would hire any former executive they could to gain access to their professional networks.

Advice to Management

It was very difficult to understand the roadmap or long term expectations.

"Family Friendly"

Pros

Nice people with a strong creative agency feel. Inspiring office.

Cons

Not very tech oriented, which is odd considering that everything has a tech component to it. They don't really make anything.

Advice to Management

Hire forward thinking, hungry, young blood. The brand is dated.

"Incredible work environment."

Former Employee - Media Intern in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Media Intern in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly co-workers. I felt like I was in an environment that really helped nurture my creative side. The company really are full of fantastic innovators.

Cons

Sometimes with the laid back work environment I can forget about what needs to be done. When you make a slip up like that MD will make sure you don't make it again.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, perfect balance between friendly and serious.

"Smart people who care"

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- While working here (and even after), the people at MD felt like family. I've never had coworkers who cared so much about you personally and professionally. I always looked forward to being there - a true testament to the people and quality of work...and something not a lot of people can say about a job.

- The culture is very laid back and open. Leadership understands the work/life balance and is very flexible to make things work for each employee as needed.

- MD has a learner mentality and is always growing/adapting/changing. It's a great place to be creative and think differently when problem solving.

Cons

- Challenging commute for Chicagoans unless you live near the Metra

- Lean organization (great for learning new skills and shaping your role but can be difficult to get the right help and you get pulled in many directions)

- There has been ambiguity about the direction of the company (as cited by other reviews), but I do believe leadership realizes the need for more clarity and is actively working to improve this. I'm optimistic that this con can become a pro

Advice to Management

- Make it a priority to develop and keep younger talent

- Stick to what we know. Given the culture, MD always jumps to help, but we don't always have the right expertise or resources to solve every problem