KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Madewell

Is this your company?

Madewell

Add a Review

Madewell Employee Reviews about "madewell"

Updated Nov 29, 2021

Found 39 of over 1K reviews

4.1
Madewell CEO Libby Wadle
Libby Wadle

What people are saying about Madewell

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "low pay and no commission even though we were expected to give over the top service and essentially act as personal shoppers.(in 106 reviews)
  • "Upper management and corporate is hard to communicate with.(in 14 reviews)
  • "No commission and 'stylist' incentive is like pointless(in 14 reviews)
  • "Very little training for such a fast(in 13 reviews)
  • "it was hard to get time off(in 13 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Madewell and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "madewell"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, needs to increase DEI initiatives

Jun 11, 2021 - Retail Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

The environment at Madewell is fun and laid back with a supportive and friendly team of co-workers. It's really awesome getting to style folks in denim that they feel amazing in!

Cons

Madewell really has a ways to go in becoming more inclusive as a brand and attracting a more diverse workforce and customer base. They also need to include a larger size range of denim in store instead of just offering plus sizing online.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Favoritism/ racist/ lazy managers

Nov 29, 2021 - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

None. The quality of clothing has changed so not even the discount is worth it anymore

Cons

Management is very lazy throughout the whole district. They love to just be in the office. Training is horrible. Company policies mean absolutely nothing because we had a SUPERVISOR who would smoke weed on the job and all upper management and employees knew and yet nothing was done. I’m sure it was because she was WHITE and if it was any other person of color there would be a different situation. This employee was lacked work ethic as well and would go multiple times to the back to smoke. Many complaints were made and yet nothing was done and instead other employees had to pick up the slack. But that seems to be the trend at madewell. Don’t expect to work with a team because the leave out to dry always and you’ll be working hard for no reason.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Madewll

Nov 4, 2021 - Sales Associate in Charlotte C H, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really great perks and liked the people

Cons

Madewell clientele can be demanding

4. 3.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.seasonal-former, less than 1 year

A Decent Part-Time Job, But Not Exceptional

Oct 31, 2021 - Seasonal Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discounts on products Very chill, clean work environment, and nice customers Job is fairly easy

Cons

Overscheduled Sometimes had to do more than one person's job, especially if one day in particular was understaffed Required to wear Madewell clothes as dress code, which can be tricky when you work every day or if you don't have lots of clothes from the brand

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company to work for

May 17, 2021 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Madewell is the most accepting company that I have ever worked for. The staff, the mission, and the drive within the company is so amazing. Everything I go in there, I feel accepted and like it is a family. Everyone is passionate about making the company succeed and the brand itself is so reputable.

Cons

I have no cons about working at Madewell.

6. 5.0

Supportive Company with Chill Environment

Apr 21, 2021 - Temporary Assistant Manager/Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

First, I really like that Madewell does not go by commission for associates. It provides a healthy, positive work environment where we can support one another in sales. Knowledge of the product is important, but after you work there for a few months, you become really knowledgeable after listening to others describe our denim and leather products. As a temporary PT assistant manager, you get introduced to the tasks of regular PT managers, without being thrown into the position unprepared. They slowly introduce and teach new tasks, while also quickly depending on you to step up your knowledge and support for the store. I really enjoy this balance.

Cons

I think training can really vary based on who is in charge of your denim certification and overall introduction to Madewell. When I first started out, I asked a lot of questions to associates if I felt I was overwhelmed, but didn't want to ask management again how to do something. This fostered good relationships with coworkers where we feel open to helping each other, so it was not such a bad thing in the end.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Flexible shifts but need large wardrobe

Mar 26, 2021 - Customer Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours (I liked 5am opening shifts), Customer service opportunities, mandatory breaks, and rewards system

Cons

Need to have madewell clothes, "natural" colored hair, and no facial piercings

8. 4.0

A great place to work

Feb 9, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

team building, fun work environment, etc.

Cons

Not really any cons with working at Madewell.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Place to Work

Jan 14, 2021 - Seasonal Associate in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice people, positive environment, a lot of free clothes!

Cons

No bad things to say about working at Madewell.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Pretty good

Dec 3, 2020 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Spent quite a few years here off and on, was a key holder for a bit. Overall probably one the better experiences I could have had working in retail. Most of the managers at my store were amazing people, but I will say in a corporate sense I feel like the company could do more to show they care about their employees. My particular store had great relationships with local businesses that we partnered with which was great and truly had so much fun working here.

Cons

Occasional late nights/super early mornings for rollout. Had a couple managers that weren’t so great but that was more of a personality issue than a company issue. Sometimes felt like they wanted me to make madewell my entire life when I was only part time. Company has had financial issues for quite some time

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 Reviews