Madison Square Garden Reviews | Glassdoor

Madison Square Garden President and Chief Executive Officer David O'Connor
David O'Connor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours but that is typical in sports (in 16 reviews)

• Because there is such a tight structure, it leaves little room for growth (in 8 reviews)

1. "VP"

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time

Pros

Company is good for the resume.

Cons

Worst management ever. No interest in retaining talent. Do not hear their employees.

Advice to Management

The worst Human Resources department on the planet. Literally I sat there to get some advice on how to handle a situation with my manager, the HR rep ate her lunch and stared at her computer screen the entire time. This was after many phone calls to even get an appointment. I have never experienced an HR group like this. Totally disconnected and there to support EVPs only.

2. "Questionable place"

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and name but nothing else

Cons

Everything else. The place has many issues

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier/Foodworker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Foodworker in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The world most famous arena, was a honor work there,environment good,some very good coworkers,learning experience about sports.is hard for me add more pros because the only thing good was working at MSG.

Cons

The food and merchant department is a circus, to be an Union Company is the most unprofessional environment, management is a low key to make this company respectable, myself I couldn't stay longer than 60 days and is not for the 11.00 and change that they were paying was because a specific manager that I called him Chief he took it offensive pulling me on the side telling me that he did not have feathers or makeup in his face I just smiled and said ok and I never came back to work,he was the cherry that top the cake they want people cashiering,preparing food, washing dishes mopping the floor throwing garbage and in top of that dealing with management moody attitudes and harassment because they have their favorites it is incomprehensible in the greatest arena in the world you see this low class people unbelievable and I could go on and on with racist but I will let you go to a show and see what is going arround specially in the hot dogs stands and in the mid time UNION LOCAL 100 very well thank you , representatives are another joke just check how often they change employees, it will tell you how good is to work in this department.🙏

Advice to Management

Should change all the floor managers in Food merchant they feel Gods specially with young girls they don't like matured people,this managers should be rotating in different departments if they are so good in that way you eliminate favoritism,corruption and promotes productivity and quality of service with people and employees that work so hard for so little.

4. "Food Worker Cashier"

I worked at Madison Square Garden part-time

Pros

Sometimes after your shift you're able to take food home and the food from MSG is pretty good.
    The customers for the most part are pleasant and aren't difficult to work with.

Cons

I can't speak for all of the departments at MSG but the Food & Merch department is quite unprofessional and unorganized. They don't discuss how you're doing during your 90-day probation and overall the communication between the supervisors and the employees isn't good at all.
    If you're working part-time at MSG, it's definitely not the place you would want to work at if you actually have a college degree. The pay and the hours aren't worth it at all.
    I also noticed that the people who work at MSG tend to have nasty attitudes and just aren't pleasant to work with. It's crazy to think that the actual customers are better to deal with than the employees.

Advice to Management

The lack of communication between supervisors and staff needs major work especially during the 90-day probation period.
    Hire people who are actually ambitious, pleasant, and aren't just there to get a check.
    Stop hiring classless people who don't give a damn about their job, their employees, or their customers.

"Working in IT here is like Bizzaro World"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

transportation is a breeze
    free tickets or discounts

Cons

childish co workers
    mild racism
    bullying and highly cabaled

Advice to Management

Working on the websites team of MSG is like working in opposites world.

You have a dev ops person that barely knows what he’s doing, tell you everything will be fine. And then when a person proves, no, it won’t be fine. He will get up and call that person confused for knowing his job better than he does.

The guy held up as the best, can’t be bothered to download photoshop to slice one image. Isn’t actually as good as people think, but that doesn’t matter. Appearances for VP only do.

The less work you do, the higher you are held. If you are actually clueless, the VP will try to make you the manager. If you have a horrible personality, congrats, you’re the new team lead. If you have the best coder, the team lead will try to get others to rewrite your work just to make people mad.

You can’t take a bunch of people with horrible personalities and questionable hygiene and put them in the room together, and expect them to work as a team.

Next time, keep the team players. And get rid of the people who manipulate the situation to make themselves seem indispensable, when all they do is watch videos on their phone all day. Open your eyes! It’s obvious others are manipulating things, and handing out work in a way to make some look worse than others. It’s not that hard. Specially when they take two hour lunches, 3 smoke breaks, make racist comments and still bad mouth other workers they’ve run out.

"Stay far away"

Former Employee - Cash Control in Rego Park, NY
    Former Employee - Cash Control in Rego Park, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, there is nothing that I can say that is remotely positive about this place other than the people you meet along the way

Cons

They treat you with the utmost lack of respect that you can possibly imagine. You are forced into a cap so that you never make the amount of hours to obtain benefits and management is just cruel.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reasons to work at MSG include very limited ticket perks and access to venues and various talent.

Cons

There is no professional development, no training, no transparency, and no trust. You WILL be underpaid and experience very political and emotional decision-making from "leadership". What exists is antiquated technology, very apparent absence of diversity, cliques devoted antagonize one another, and an unusually high employee turnover. Aside from the work-culture, there is no personal development, no health perks, no health encouragement, and certainly no food or gym considerations. Many people think "sports teams" must promote a healthy lifestyle. MSG does the opposite.

Advice to Management

Do not tell your poorly treated employees you own two blocks of Manhattan debt-free and have over a billion in cash in the bank to conclude a very rare company-wide meeting.

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Madison Square Garden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really busy during the holidays .

Cons

The pay isn't worth it ! You only work 5 or 6 hrs
    Management is very disrespectful and unprofessional

"Good Luck!"

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time

Pros

The name Madison Square Garden sounds nice :/

Cons

Grown old women act like they are 5. Every minute they wanted a pity party when working with clients to set up events. Sad, why go to work.

Advice to Management

Tell your workers to grow up quickly please.

10. "Student Associate"

Former Intern - Student Associate in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Student Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden as an intern

Pros

The work is fun and interesting

Cons

I would give 0 stars if I could. The people I worked with during my short time at MSG made those 3 months absolutely awful. They were some of the most stuck up, unprofessional, and rude individuals I have ever come into contact with in the professional field. I understand that MSG is a huge corporation that is almost self sustaining so they don't necessarily need to focus on hiring quality people, but at least train your corporate employees to treat interns with respect, and not just in a manner that is so obviously fake and rehearsed. We are here to learn, so please keep that in mind. I would not recommend this job to anyone who is sane and doesn't want to feel like a corporate slave at the mercy of those in their department.

Advice to Management

Hire individuals for HR who aren't only looking out for the interests of the company, but the employees too. Other than that, I don't think the company will do much to change based off of my review.