Madison Square Garden Reviews | Glassdoor

Madison Square Garden President and Chief Executive Officer David O'Connor
David O'Connor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours but that is typical in sports (in 16 reviews)

• Because there is such a tight structure, it leaves little room for growth (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good Part time to make money"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a fun place to work if you love to interact with people and don't work in concessions

Cons

Management and the culture there blows and does not motivate you

2. "It's just temporary, don't get comfortable."

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for the worlds most famous arena, discounts and free tickets..My favorite part was meeting customers from all over the world.My daughter enjoyed going there with me which i loved the experience we had together..that's for life.Making friends with some co workers.Being able to be yourself and act crazy at times because its such aloud place.Concerts are the best nights to work.Tips were good sometimes too! Love the way the place looks..its beautiful.Loved to tell people i worked there.

Cons

Management is so unorganized.You never get to really no anyone from hr..cashiers are the bottom of the company no one cares.If your no ones favorite your screwed.They let you go in a heart beat no matter what kind of worker you are.They don't appreciate any employees.They don't live in reality to realize things happen sometimes that's out of your hands.They don't care about your life dramas.Oh in don't be late a couple times you'll be fired quick.No second chances at all, just like i said unless your someones favorite they might help.You pay union dues in they don't even help you keep your job if a problem happens.Most supervisor are so rude to employees and customers.But the higher ups don't seem to pay any mind to that...the only thing they busy doing is firing they best workers.If your a good worker and love people you might wanna work somewhere else..this place will either turn you into them or chew you up in spit you out quick!

Advice to Management

Handle decision's better.If you don't like people don"t work there and mess up the name of the company.We should all be as one and supportive to one another.Fight for the people that actually deserve to be there.

"Good for the "Resume""

Current Employee - Technical Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for the resume.
    Decent pay.
    Network builder.
    It has been called the center of the sports universe.
    Working at MSG does bring recognition in NYC.

Cons

70% politics/ 30% work
    Don't expect to get promoted.
    Don't expect to have work/life balance.
    Don't expect intelligence befitting of a world recognized brand.
    This company struggles with the concept of "throwing people" at the problem and wonders why top talent refuses to stay.

Advice to Management

Management needs no advice and doesn't welcome it.

4. "Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Insights in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Insights in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be fun to be where every great artist, performer and athlete has either performed or competed. Everyone who works there has a passion for the brands. You can work remotely if job function allows.

Cons

You never truly feel like a part of the team. You are always doing evenings and weekends. You never know when layoffs are coming.

"Not the greatest place to work"

Current Employee - Audit Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are phenomenal to work with. The hours aren't bad whatsoever. The executives are great. They really listen to employees.

Cons

Very poor pay. The company is behind in technology. The amount of bureaucracy is very high and needs to be reduced.

"Way too big for such a mom and pop store mentality"

Current Contractor - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get there and nobody works too hard.

Cons

Amazing how small the management think. There are people who've been there a long time and are very resistant to change. Often pennypinching but it ends up costing them later.

Advice to Management

Try to be proactive instead of waiting for things to break down before you fix them,

"Manager IT"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the previous executives encouraged growth in personal success and taking an informed strategic approach to implementing technology.

Cons

During the course of corporate growth, the IT Division has been less than involved in the decision making process to align technology with growing needs and demands and more of an implementation department without clear lines of direction on achieving success.

Advice to Management

I would advise a clear line of representation and communication with IT to not only take advantage of existing expertise but to also have cooperative buy in on goals. Even during times of change, there is still a need for clear direction and strategy. It may change with management, but it ensures everyone is working on a unified goal and communicates mutual respect and impacts of changes as the company grows.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker/Cashier in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker/Cashier in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting people from all around the world

Cons

Night job. To much favoritism and gossip . Management don't care about you

9. "HELP ME, HELP YOU"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a good job if your a student, but at times it can be very demanding.

Cons

its about A 4-5 hrs/shift and usually you get 3-4 days depending on the events and what you do

Advice to Management

no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment

10. "Good experience as an intern, but very little possibility for a career"

Current Intern - Student Associate in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Student Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were some of the nicest people I have ever met. I really did love working in my department, and I never experienced anything but kindness and generosity from those I worked with. You do have the chance to do some hands-on work in a lot of different areas, and I do feel I learned a lot during my time as a student associate. They also recently raised the pay to $11 an hour, which is great.

Cons

There isn't always a lot to do, and there are days where you sit around for hours at a time with nothing at all to keep you occupied. There are also times where you may fall into that stereotypical intern role i.e getting coffee for your boss, so just be aware of that. I wish that I had been allowed to go to more meetings and have a little more responsibility, as I felt this was lacking.
    There is also very little growth. The top management and executives have been with the company for a long time, and so it's unlikely that they are going anywhere any time soon. The departments are also very small, so getting a job in your department after graduation is highly unlikely, just because of the lack of openings.

Advice to Management

Give your interns more to do! If you're going to require someone to be at the office 40 hours a week, it should be because you have 40 hours worth of stuff for them to do.