Madison Square Garden Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours but that is typical in sports (in 16 reviews)

• Because there is such a tight structure, it leaves little room for growth (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great team"

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at Madison Square Garden part-time

Pros

The company is always willing to improve & takes your concerns into consideration. Great pay.

Cons

Majority of work is based on events

"Manager IT"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the previous executives encouraged growth in personal success and taking an informed strategic approach to implementing technology.

Cons

During the course of corporate growth, the IT Division has been less than involved in the decision making process to align technology with growing needs and demands and more of an implementation department without clear lines of direction on achieving success.

Advice to Management

I would advise a clear line of representation and communication with IT to not only take advantage of existing expertise but to also have cooperative buy in on goals. Even during times of change, there is still a need for clear direction and strategy. It may change with management, but it ensures everyone is working on a unified goal and communicates mutual respect and impacts of changes as the company grows.

"Working in IT here is like Bizzaro World"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

transportation is a breeze
    free tickets or discounts

Cons

childish co workers
    mild racism
    bullying and highly cabaled

Advice to Management

Working on the websites team of MSG is like working in opposites world.

You have a dev ops person that barely knows what he’s doing, tell you everything will be fine. And then when a person proves, no, it won’t be fine. He will get up and call that person confused for knowing his job better than he does.

The guy held up as the best, can’t be bothered to download photoshop to slice one image. Isn’t actually as good as people think, but that doesn’t matter. Appearances for VP only do.

The less work you do, the higher you are held. If you are actually clueless, the VP will try to make you the manager. If you have a horrible personality, congrats, you’re the new team lead. If you have the best coder, the team lead will try to get others to rewrite your work just to make people mad.

You can’t take a bunch of people with horrible personalities and questionable hygiene and put them in the room together, and expect them to work as a team.

Next time, keep the team players. And get rid of the people who manipulate the situation to make themselves seem indispensable, when all they do is watch videos on their phone all day. Open your eyes! It’s obvious others are manipulating things, and handing out work in a way to make some look worse than others. It’s not that hard. Specially when they take two hour lunches, 3 smoke breaks, make racist comments and still bad mouth other workers they’ve run out.

4. "Nice side hustle"

Pros

Get paid well for decent amount of work.

Cons

Could use more hours. Seniority rules.

"Childish Co Workers who don't work as a team"

Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discounts at certain places
    world famous arena
    great location

Cons

childish coworkers
    blatant favoritism
    inept management who knows nothing about development
    senior workers here are lazy, and hand out work unfairly
    senior workers do not treat you as a team member, but as competition

Advice to Management

The biggest problem with MSG is that there’s a certain person that makes management decisions, who should not be in charge of people. Who isn’t supposed to be in charge of people.

This person told me before I even started working that I wasn’t needed. He was angry twice while telling me he was the biggest wordpress expert there is, and there was no need for me.

He tried to have my work rewritten several times for no reason, made a racist comment, and showed extreme favoritism. Although he is in his 40’s, he acts like an egotistical child.

I was thrown under the bus several times, and this easily became the worst job i’ve ever had. If you’re entry level, then you will be fine here. But if are seen as a threat to this certain person, then he will go out of his way to make things very hard for you. And the other kids that work here follow him and will do whatever he says.

Management also rewards this type of behavior. All they care about is getting a month of work done in two weeks. They didn’t care after I complained so I simply found a better job where I work with grown ups, and am treated like a grown up.

My advice to management is to put petty childish people in management roles. You will scare away the good developers, and keep the back stabbing shady ones. Good luck.

6. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Custodian in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Custodian in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden (Less than a year)

Pros

The Food, the people, the music.

Cons

The night has to end.

"Stay far away"

Former Employee - Cash Control in Rego Park, NY
    Former Employee - Cash Control in Rego Park, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, there is nothing that I can say that is remotely positive about this place other than the people you meet along the way

Cons

They treat you with the utmost lack of respect that you can possibly imagine. You are forced into a cap so that you never make the amount of hours to obtain benefits and management is just cruel.

8. "Restroom Attendant"

Former Employee - Restroom Attendant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Restroom Attendant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden (More than a year)

Pros

You get to see some of the best players if your a fan of the Knicks or the Rangers

Cons

If your a single parent sometimes its kind of sad when you have to do more then a double shift and cant make it home your children but overall its worth it in the long run

9. "Good start for intern"

Pros

A lot of workers so good source for networking

Cons

Great busy staff but most did not have enough time to teach you new things

"Toxic culture but good for early career learning under technical and political fire"

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time

Pros

The access to the behind the scenes of a world famous brand and the feeling that you have access to celebrities from the world of sports, entertainment and even politics (even if all you are to them is a faceless, nameless entity providing them service).

Cons

Small people with small minds and high aspirations. Politics, politics, politics. Favoritism and unfair distribution of responsibility.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. The culture is one of survival. Can you throw your co-worker under the bus before they throw you under it? Your boss will reward you for it. As long as the work is done and the company goals achieved, no one is going change anything.