Maersk Drilling Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wonderful experience and loved every bit of it"

Former Employee - HSE Advisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - HSE Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Maersk Drilling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Great sense of accomplishment and the ability to make a difference right where you are. Enjoyed being a part of management team of the rig

Cons

HR basically ushered me out the door after posting to social media I was moving to another town. It was pretty unprofessional. Told me I resigned via social media? My resignation came with a severance so, wasn't much of a resignation rather than a "we know we are wrong" payment.

Advice to Management

American HR should live the values.

"Crane operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

This is a very good company to work for, overall it's the best company I've worked for. The salaries are good and human resources do their best to fix any issues you might have.

Cons

This is a very hard company to get into, but once you're in the opportunities are endless.

Advice to Management

Mersk is a very good structured company, just keep on doing what you're doing.

3. "Fair company for offshore work"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Houston, TX

Pros

Company gives all that is promised. Considering the Oil downturn, company has been ethical in adjusting wages and keeping benefits as constant as possible.

Cons

Shipboard management lacks good structure in some departments. Making the 80/20 rule very apparent. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people

4. "Electronic Technician"

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Maersk Drilling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company believes in thier core values, dedication to thier customers and employees. Pay and benefits are decent.

Cons

Would have to say the selection of choosing who's laid off and stays was biased, also if hired remember to stay humble.

Advice to Management

Should take opportunity to send employees to better training courses.

5. "Overall Good company"

Former Employee - Able Seaman in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Able Seaman in Houston, TX

I worked at Maersk Drilling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A financially strong company, with their U.S. branch based in Houston with main headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark. Mostly good people, personable and engaged with everyone on their offshore rigs. Like every other company they were forced to adapt to the downturn in oil recently with expiring contracts and the like. Unfortunately this meant layoffs for a good number of folks, although some received transfers to other rigs. While they went far beyond in their efforts to preserve jobs, ultimately they were forced to act and even then provided severance and benefits to ease the transition for those laid off. The office also was forced to make tough cuts, sad times.

Cons

The only real negative was in my case personally. 5 years of good to great evaluations all went down the tubes quick, the moment I expressed I had a problem with management. I essentially placed a target on my own back, from having a problem to being a problem and that's a problem. It sends the wrong message to everyone off shore.

Advice to Management

My advice is directed to HR. I'll just state that they really need to take a hard look at some of the upper management personell off shore. Bias towards management is somewhat SOP in business when conflict arises, nevertheless company policy should apply without prejudice.
    I do still wish them well as a company.

6. "horrible company's"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hebron, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hebron, MS

I worked at Maersk Drilling (More than a year)

Pros

They had nice new equipment is all I can say good about this company

Cons

Worst company ever be prepared to not advance unless yoy got a buddy in the office or either from Denmark not good 4 American s

Advice to Management

Take time to look at whole picture not just your butts take that Hr leader and flush her down the toilet

7. "Maersk Drilling"

Current Employee - DPO in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - DPO in Houston, TX

I have been working at Maersk Drilling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, they will fly you to work from anywhere in the U.S. put you up in a hotel the night before crew change and arrange for your transportation to the Heliport. Good health insurance, competitive pay and 401k matching at 12%.

Cons

Compared to other companies in the industry Maersk Drilling does not support sending their employees to much needed training. Where other companies encourage and pay their employees to attend training Maersk has cut all training and employees must pay out of their own pockets

Advice to Management

Spend more money on training your people. Especially your employees who require Mariner's Licenses and endorsements. They are required to go to courses to maintain these licenses yet you fail to provide them the resources to accomplish the bare minimum training.

"Company Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Drill Ship in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drill Ship in Houston, TX

I have been working at Maersk Drilling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work 28 days and your off 28 days. If your a salaried employee you get paid even when your home. Pay is great and will beat any land based job. Benefits are excellent compared to companies back on land. 401k with 100% match up to 6% of your salary.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to care about there employees enough. To them your just a number. Lots of foreigners in management roles on the drill ships which makes it a little difficult when communicating what needs to be done. The company has cut many jobs and is on a hiring freeze. Lack of advancement opportunities and they will no longer pay for you to go through any training. Yearly bonuses have also been cut.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to all employees that work their a**** off to keep your business alive. Bring in more Americans in upper management level to operate in the Gulf of Mexico i.e.. TSL's MSL's and OIM's. There seems to be a lot of favoritism in these positions and very few Americans are seen in these roles. Theirs way to much feuding going on between nationalities about who's way is better at doing things. I believe by doing this, drill ships in the Gulf of Mexico would operate much smoother and you will have less incidents and DOWN TIME.

9. "Able Bodied Seaman"

Former Employee - AB in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - AB in Houston, TX

I worked at Maersk Drilling full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and okay benefits

Cons

Very little training or job growth opportunities if you are not foreign, HR will make false promises to get you to join and the list goes on...

Advice to Management

Needs serious evaluation of offshore manangement

10. "Learning experience"

Pros

- friendly environment
    - excellent working conditions ( full canteen breakfast and lunch, workplace counseling, courses, gym, etc.)
    - lots of opportunities to learn on the job

Cons

- as with all corporate environments, there is too much red tap situations, which halts rapid progression in projects and ideas