Magellan Health Care Manager Senior Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Barry Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"good pay, good benefits, demoralizing environment the last few years"

Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits and good salary

Cons

not feeling valued by supervisor

Advice to Management

appreciate employees

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Hiram, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Hiram, GA

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits pretty good but may be less than some other managed care companies. They do pay 100% for CEU training and annual licensure renewal.

Cons

this company's behavioral health division is in complete disarray with many continued lay offs, most recently of more middle managers. Does not seem to be progressing in obtaining new business, training is extremely poor, and now all employees work out of a queue with 2 15 min breaks and 1/2 hr for lunch. More like a factory than a professional place to work . Licensed clinicians treated like customer service reps in a call center. Day to day work is stressful and frustrating. Difficult to get time off even though it is earned.

Advice to Management

Close your doors. This has always been a top down management company where supervisors and managers are kept out of the loop about company decisions which seem to be made without input from those doing the job.

"RN ICCM (Integrated Care Case Manager)"

Current Employee - Senior RN Care Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior RN Care Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work from home.
    Compensation is decent

Cons

The company have a lack of treating providers for the member's that are enrolled in the plan leaving Case Managers with very limited on the help that can be provided to members.
    Things are never consistent.
    There's no opportunity for advancement within the company.
    The employees that have direct patient contact voices are not heard.
    The health benefits are horrible.

Advice to Management

The concept of this plan is good however it was not well executed. Listen more to the people that interact with the member's and have ideas of ways to make this company better.

"Good company overall, lack of medical experience is hurting them in Medicaid contracting"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

I've been with Magellan for over 9 years. Good benefits, good PTO, health insurance has been good. Pretty flexible with schedule and accommodating sick time for kids, etc. After 20 years, we lost our Medicaid contract when Iowa restructured it's Medicaid contract and we were not selected in the RFP process. Too bad, but the fact is, Magellan was not established enough in the medical realm (focus has always been on behavioral health niche) to get the contract. New contracts are always difficult, so don't put too much stock in naysayers who are in a new role involving a new company/contract. Our focus, at least in my state contract, has always been what's in the best interest of our members/clients. I hope that focus can continue as the world changes and dollars become more scarce. We worked very hard to do the right thing and help the people who wanted help to get it, and did our best to get the people who didn't want to do anything for themselves the resources to help them change their perspective to get the help that they needed.

Cons

As in any corporate, stock driven situation, money is the driving force from the top down. You will see this pretty much anywhere in managed care. Sometimes decisions are made in "corporate" that are attempts to save money, when a better solution could have been implemented months or years earlier through IT changes, or more well defined guidelines/processes and better provider relations/education. You may find yourself "overworked" when part of your team is on PTO, or on maternity leave and there are not enough "per need" (PRN) staff available to fill in the gaps. Traditionally, hiring has been an issue (can take months to fill an open position) and I don't think marketing is aggressive enough in that department. They rely too much on word of mouth and internal referrals for prospective employees. This is hard on staff when a team is short by a person or two on a team of 5 to 8 people. All of that aside, in my location, and on my teams (I've been in 3 different departments/teams in my 9 years), my co-workers and overall, my direct supervisors have been fantastic and all work to cover each others' backs and help each other out. I think the difficult part, as I stated initially, is the stock driven money, component. Right now, as our contract is ending, I believe the bean counters and the corporate higher ups have been very very slow in considering giving us the resources we need to finish out the end of our contract without doing a disservice to our members. I am disappointed by (at least my perceived) lack of support and really did not expect it.

Advice to Management

1) Recognize your limitations and the reality of a situation. Magellan does not have enough experience in the medical arena to "create it" and expect to win contracts against companies who do have that experience. The mental health/behavioral component is a small piece of the pie, comparatively. Merge/acquire/partner with someone the next time you attempt to bid for a comprehensive contract. Don't take your relationships in a state for granted and assume that's going to be enough. It's not.
    2) Maintain your reputation for future gain. Don't let contracts that did not get renewed go south in a hand-basket because you want to save a handful of dollars ($7 million for example). Give the people who are trying their best to do what is right for their clients (and the company) what they need in order to do the right thing.
    3) Prior to losing a contract: When a front line employee brings an issue to his/her supervisor and says "this is going to be a problem, we need to correct it", you should actually look into the situation, plan ahead, and make the correction that is needed. Don't wait for it to become a "crisis" 2 1/2 years later and then determine that the solution is for front line, masters level staff to do 20% more data entry work to "correct" the problem. That is not an efficient use of resources.
    4) This is for any management, anywhere. Just because a person is a good "X", doesn't mean that person will be a good "Y". Don't shortchange your employees or candidates, based on an imperfect technology system or per-determined system of qualifications that is either inaccurate or ineffective when determining your next hire.
    5) Establish written guidelines or policies, for just about everything you do. Make those known and accessible. Employees are generally willing to make decisions, within the parameters that are given to work with. This will free up your supervisor's/manager's time. Have those guidelines/policies accessible to people who may need to fill in for someone else at the spur of the moment. Don't rely on people to learn that information while they are training "on the job" by following/watching more established employees. Everything should have a procedure, even exceptions to procedure. Create a training manual. Use it. Update it. Pay for the staff needed to do that.
    6) Increase marketing for open positions. Don't save $34,000 at the expensive of burning out your already hired/trained/functioning employees.

5. "mostly good experience"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feel like I'm making a difference. Good pay for social services field. Good benefits. Great relationships are built. There is a good value system and the St. Louis office makes a point of giving back. Good succession planning program. Flexible regarding needing to take time off.

Cons

No opportunity for growth unless you are part of the "in" crowd. Promotion is based more on personal preference rather than ability to lead. Thus, some of the middle management lacks good management skills and sometimes good work ethic.

Advice to Management

Promotion should be more objective and less subjective. Based on ability to lead, quality of work and experience.

6. "Overall, it was a good opportunity and experience."

Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were many people who worked there for many years who had a lot of knowledge. Also, there was a lot of effort put in to keep the energy and morale high.

Cons

Often co-workers were too busy on phones to help you when you needed help with clinical case questions.

Advice to Management

Management needed to stay focus on a strategy, it changed too often and care managers were caught in the middle. Unfortunately, this location is no longer open.

7. "Clinical Social Worker, Care management, MH intake and concurrent reviews"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

salary and benefits are better than average in this area...

Cons

the company seems to want to shed the MH MCO business and is scrimping on hiring and especially in supporting current staff

Advice to Management

If you want to sell off the MCO MH piece, be upfront with staff instead of letting us suffer in silence in wondering about our future with the company....it appears that you want us gone... we are the backbone that you built the corporation on...

"Good for Awhile Then Poor Work Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary and pleasant co--workers

Cons

unreasonable workload; toxic supervisors; work environment is not supportive

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

"Experience working at Magellan Health"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, sound clinicians

Cons

Unreliable. Promised work from home, not delivered

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Miami, FL

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good overtime pay and vacation time

Cons

Management was abusive and not interested in employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees