Magellan Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Analytics I"

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Dynamic and growth oriented. Nation-wide managed care organization. Multi market customer base. Publicly traded. Strong financial outlook. Looking for new mid management talent.

Cons

Systems an technology in the process of being updated, modernized. Challenging IT systems and data access and utilization.

2. "Plan Administration"

Pros

Great people to work with, reasonable amount of PTO.

Cons

Not sufficiently staffed, unreasonable case loads, need a dedicated testing team.

"Burn baby Burn"

I worked at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

PTO is last of the good benefits.

Cons

Health Benefits suck.

Upper Management lost and are to busy patting themselves on the back and tell all the rest of the lower worker bees how great they are. CTO is so lost, does not know where he is or where he has been. For a regulated company in the Health Care industry, CTO does not understand his role. His lackeys he brought in have done their due diligence in getting rid of all the top talented IT staffed they had. IT department is became a ghost town, and those left are trying to hold up the foundations that have to many cracks to deal with, and they too will leave the sinking ship.

CTO decided Magellan IT should go agile, great thought, however, instead of working and getting coding done, they are having meetings to discuss what should be done. And then another meeting to discuss how they should do the next meeting and so on. Another words meeting by death of code. So business done by meetings not actually getting any work done.

Worker bees tossed from one team to the next, changes is constant making hard to trust one another. When I started I was on a great team before CA man came in, and we did get a lot done. We took care of the customers, we took care of each other. This has been lost.

CTO/managers pitted teams against each other instead of collaborating together. Again making the work environment hard for all. Agile coaches talk a good game, however, they are just as destructive as management. It's like they are in charge, instead of the team leads. Again making hard to do work, to many chiefs.

CTO brought in his pet projects, such as work place, a waist of time and money unless you a sycophant and live on it to suck up. He brought in other projects in as well, using up all the cash reserves...meaning no raising or bonuses unless you are one of the yes men.

With all that has happened ones has to give pause, does the rest of the C's understand what the CA man has done to their company or do they really care, or is this the plan from the beginning. It is really to bad, they made a bad choice and the worker bees now suffer from there actions.

Now those left have to many balls to juggle, they only thing they can do is let them drop. They are set up for failure.

So Congratulations to CA man and his lackey's , you took a wonderful IT group and destroyed it. You met your goals and achieved them better then anyone could have seen. Before long you will jump and do it all over again.

You and lackeys have no honor, nor loyalty, this obvious in your treatment of the rest of the those who left, who will leave and those who stay on the sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Ask workplace...that way you continue to feel good. For you do not want opposing views.

4. "Customer Service Associate"

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Great company to work for...

Cons

No cons that I can think of...

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and no micromanagement from leadership.

Cons

Lack of growth, compensation isn't fair

Advice to Management

Practice genuine communication with your staff.

"Went downhill very quickly"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People I've worked with during my time here.

Cons

If you are not n the 'IT' crowd, your opinions do not matter. I understand that usually when a change in guard happens, it comes with certain expectations but this one vast exceeded any expectations that anyone has ever had for how stupid a new top brass can act.

Steps that led to where it is right now:

1. Coming in with the impression that the St. Louis employees do not know anything. This created a feeling of betrayal and mistrust. The so called curriculum was a slap to everyone's face from our newly appointed overlords from OH and CA who assumed that MO folks would take it lying down. WRONG!
    2. Adoption of social media as a means of getting everyone to bond. This meant that the social butterflies and suck-ups thrived. They got promoted and so on.
    3. Transparency needs to come from within. Loyalty cannot be demanded, etc, etc. Our "knowledgeable" superiors forgot some of the basic principles of keeping your employees happy.
    4. Please drop the condescending tone - this goes to all the "Director coaches" we have at our organization. This wasn't that bad a sinking ship that we needed a complete change in everything. Right or wrong we were still functioning. Now everything is a complete mess.

Advice to Management

Stop selling out your best employees for money. The new CTO and his cronies will leave you guys with nothing at the end.

"Nero plays as Magellan IT burns"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Magellan has excellent paid time off and decent benefits. Until recently, it was a friendly and supportive place to work with excellent camaraderie between peers and management. Those days are gone replaced by a culture where stroking egos and shameless self exaltation gets individuals ahead.

Cons

-Since the arrival of a new CTO and upper IT management staff, Magellan is losing a considerable amount of their absolute top IT talent at an alarming rate.
    -The vacating talent is taking years of domain and application specific knowledge in the heavily regulated healthcare industry with them.
    -Rumors are that over half of developers are actively looking for employment elsewhere.
    -Magellan developer staff is being recruited heavily on LinkedIn and by recruiters who have placed former Magellan IT development staff at better paying jobs elsewhere.
    -Much of the development talent who haven't left yet are stuck maintaining major system code written on obsolete or dated technology.
    -The IT staff remaining is becoming management and analyst heavy.
    -Constant reshuffling of teams is taking place to try to cover the holes left by the talent leaving leading to excessive stress on developers.
    -Teams aren't stable making it hard for teams to develop effective chemistry.
    -The implementation of agile adopted is leading to additional stress on development staff.
    -Seems like each individual who leaves ends up siphoning off one or two more IT workers later to their new company.

Advice to Management

The CEO and board should study what is leading to the exodus of IT talent out of Magellan Health to see if something can be done to retain the top IT talent they have left before they opt to leave the company as well. There are good, loyal, and talented people left in Magellan IT hopefully they will get treated well or decide to leave for better pay and a more enriching career environment where they are treated with respect.

"Business Analyst"

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

A large amount of employees work from home.
    Very relaxed environment.

Cons

Very little tools available to do my job more efficiently.
    It is important to have a job that challenges you and makes you get creative when overcoming obstacles, BUT the kind of challenges at this company is not that type of challenge. The challenges I deal with in this company has my asking myself "WHY THE HECK IS THIS A PROBLEM?!?!" It gets old very fast.

Advice to Management

Get it together and fire people that are doing things simply because "this is what we've always done." Those people are the worst and need to go.

9. "Customer Care a coordinator"

I worked at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

Pay, scheduling, benefits, location, hours

Cons

No communication with employees from management.

"Health Guide"

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

PTO, Somewhat flexible schedule, nice co-workers

Cons

Poor management, Poor insurance package