Cover image for Magellan Health
Logo

Part of Centene
Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Magellan Health Employee Reviews about "magellan"

Updated Oct 25, 2021

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

78.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Magellan Health~2201
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Magellan Health and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "magellan"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

An absolutely excellent company to work for

Aug 11, 2021 - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely enjoyed working at Magellan Health, I currently have an application in process for rehire.

Cons

There were no cons for me working at Magellan Health.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

MEDI-CAL RX - Terrible place to work

Aug 16, 2021 - Customer Service Representative (CSR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

No PROS that I can think of....ok, maybe the interview was easy.....if you have any or no call center experience-they will hire you if they like you. PERIOD.

Cons

Where to start.....Terrible training. Training screens freeze, so they just talk about what you're supposed to see, but you're lost once you need to answer phones. They promise training, but don't give it. The supervisors aren't trained to manage people, they would rather just be friends and move up the ladder. Alot of them "drink the cool-aid", just to get ahead. Terrible starting pay 17.00 hr for Rancho Cordova, CA.....and they expect perfection and call center knowledge, but you don't have to have call center experience. No person is in human resources, it's all job aides and e-resources/online. Can only take vacation 90 days out, but you're approved when they feel like it. Any off time requested within 48 hours, is considered unexcused time off and goes against you at review time. Because it's a CA state contract everything is state decided, but the state of CA is so terribly run, it's impossible for Magellan to make any decisions. SUCKS! I wouldn't be surprised if Magellan soon runs from the CA contract, so beware you may be laid off in the future!! Don't walk, Run!!!

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Magellan Health team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good people, fair pay, poor operations

Oct 25, 2021 - EAP Clinician in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros: Magellan is a well-known company and definitely looks good on your resume. The pay is fair and you have the opportunity to work various shift schedules. Coworkers are fantastic but can be difficult to reach at times due to call volume.

Cons

Magellan makes everything 1000x harder and more complicated than it needs to. They use extremely outdated technology. They have a 60+ item list of things you must do on each call; calls are audited frequently.

5. 1.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Stay Away/Contracted Employees

Oct 9, 2021 - Coach Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

These DoD jobs are dedicated to the lowest bidder and Magellan Health is often the lowest bidder.... So there you go.

Cons

Little to no supervision, can be a pro? Mostly cons being a contracted employee. You will not be supported by Magellan at all. Worst supervision on the planet. Everyone is walking on eggshells around the "client."

6. 1.0
    Current Employee

Not a good company to work for

Apr 1, 2021 - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really nothing at all that I can say

Cons

Very broke company, very little pay for its employees and even management staff. Outdated programs and procedures. Your better off choosing another company if your really looking for a career. Most staff do not come from a health insurance/medical background. They have people working for them that have no idea what they are even doing. Benefits are terrible, behavioral Health company with no behavioral health benefits, terrible staffing, workforce management is a joke, supervisors do more then what a supervisor should ever do and they don’t get paid for it. Magellan will cut a corner in every single direction if they could just to save money regardless of the outcome.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Awful place to work

Apr 7, 2021 - Care Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is very competitive with other companies

Cons

Benefits are awful. Morale is terrible. Wait times are astronomical and management has little to no plan to address. You have to work overtime to make up for doctor appointments even though majority of the time you are taking calls past your scheduled time off. It’s a punitive environment where you are belittled for making errors but the management doesn’t communicate when changes are made so errors are inevitable. URs hate calling into Magellan and will start off calls berating CMs for the hold times.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company and people (Except HR)

Jul 1, 2020 - Pharmacy Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone at Magellan is so great and people really care about their work. People are here to help and take time out of their day to make sure you understand a project or system. My team and the people I work with make my day so much better and makes me love coming to work everyday.

Cons

HR staff is horrible. they are unprofessional and condescending. Its really shocking how they hold such high positions. They do not reflect the rest of Magellan at all. The health benefits and maternity /paternity leave is also not great surprisingly because Magellan is a HEALTH CARE company.

4 people found this review helpful

Magellan Health Response

Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review of Magellan Health as a place to work.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

IT has a miserable culture now thanks to leadership

May 21, 2020 - Project Management
    Business Outlook

Pros

Magellan Health does have excellent PTO with vacation and sick time combined. It's great if you are really healthy, but not so great if you get sick.

Cons

I have hesitated to write a review for years despite the morale and general treatment of employees declining over the several years since Srini Koushik became CTO here at Magellan. It was my hope that he would move on from this position, but like a horrible virus he has stuck around the company infecting it with more and more toxicity fueled by his enormous outgrown ego. If you have a chance to take a job in IT here and it's your absolute only feasible option than please go ahead and do so - everyone needs to pay the bills and you will be able to make some money before moving on to something better with management who truly cares about you. But if you have any other feasible option, you should run from this toxic Magellan IT culture that Mr. Koushik has created. When Mr. Koushik arrived, we touted himself as a savior who would make us 10x more productive by implementing Exponential Org theory. What he failed to mention was that one of his prime ways of achieving this productivity was through waves of layoffs. Wave upon wave of layoffs. The reduction in force would also be accompanied by him driving his employees to work longer hours. The idea of work life balance is a concept that Mr. Koushik has no empathy for since all he seems to be occupied with is promoting himself and all others should work in the common promotion and glorification of him. And to this end, he early on introduced Workplace from Facebook into IT. Workplace is basically the same as Facebook but geared to a work environment. It's hard to overstate how toxic the introduction of Workplace was for the IT culture here. All of the sudden you provided a platform for people to compete for favor on what is basically social media. Additionally, Mr. Koushik models this behavior on Workplace by constantly complimenting and promoting one person, Mr. Koushik. The number of times he uses "I" on his posts is disappointing. His behavior models actions that are actually harmful to teamwork. Thank goodness that Mr. Koushik hasn't found Twitter for Workplace yet. I have seen waves and waves of loyal hardworking employees get laid off, mistreated by lower level management, and the culture in IT devolve into something awful. This is a lot but what finally broke me and compelled me to write this is the pathetic way Magellan and IT security took care my personal information. Under Mr. Koushik's watch, Magellan recently became victim of ransomware and apparently my SSN and other information along with all my colleagues present and many of my colleagues who have escaped. So now in a pandemic, I also have to be worried about my identity being stolen. Did our savior and his inner circle not take the proper measures to harden our servers from attack and encrypt our data? So careless. I will give credit to Srini Koushik for one thing - he has showed how I never want to behave in my career.

21 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overloaded Caseloads and Stressed

Aug 28, 2019 - Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employment was somewhat better before they sold the company to Magellan Health. Magellan Health has a horrible HR Department!! This job is more about the participants budgets, computer and plan details than it is about the services and rapport with participants. This job is great for someone who really enjoys and is proficient with plenty of math. Nice concept, but many flaws in this program. The pay and amount of benefits offered are good.

Cons

Magellan Health has a horrible HR Department!! This job is more about the participants budgets, computer and plan details than it is about the services and rapport with participants. The Department of Health Services takes many months to approve a simple budget amendment for added services to improve a participant's health and safety. The consultants take the brunt for most of the issues for the program. Caseloads are too high for quality and it is mostly about putting out fires. Nice concept, but many flaws in this program. Work/life balance is difficult with overtime needed and working at home. Not enough training time before working alone.

1 person found this review helpful

Magellan Health Response

Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear you had a negative experience working for us. We strive to have all employees valued for the work they do at Magellan to help others live healthy vibrant lives.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee

Do not take this job

Sep 10, 2016 - Behavioral Health Care Coordinator in Columbia, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

The money is good for a social worker

Cons

I couldn't be happier to be out of this job. Coworkers refer to the company as "majailen". Everything you do is monitored but not for quality. All that matters is quantity and profits. Members and their needs are irrelevant. It's impossible to get good treatment for people with carefirst/Magellan insurance as very few providers accept their low rates. You will be frustrated by the constant demands of management that make no sense and change almost daily. You will get emails from management telling you to stop talking and laughing in the office. You will never feel appreciated by management and they publicly shame everyone. Turnover has been among the worst I've experienced, management continues to justify the high turnover as "growing pains" of a start up. Watching 30+ clinicians leave in less than a year is a problem but nobody at Magellan seems to care. They just continue to hire new clinicians through temp agencies. The worst part about this company is that they review their own employees mental health claims. Your coworkers, boss, etc could know exactly what type of treatment you've had and your diagnosis. Magellan could care less about this and likely continues this practice to intimidate their employees. I could go on and on about this company and my experience. It has truly been traumatizing. The money is good but it's not worth the poor treatment not to mention the many ethical dilemmas you will find yourself in.

9 people found this review helpful