Cover image for Magellan Health

Part of Centene
Engaged Employer

Magellan Health

Add a Review

Magellan Health Employee Reviews about "pay"

Updated Feb 1, 2023

Healthcare

1d

a

HIM

I'm a RN by title but left the profession to pursue other things. I'm currently in HIM dept at our local hospital, I'm tossing around becoming a coder. Has anyone on here ever switch gears and branched of their nursing education and go to coding or something in healthcare? Please share your experiences or suggestions.

38 Comments

Healthcare

126.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Magellan Health~2201
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Magellan Health? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Magellan Health employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and I appreciated my directors support even though he was in another city.(in 95 reviews)
  • "People are very friendly and flexible work from home option.The company has a lot of growth potential and management cares about their employees.(in 77 reviews)
  • "The pay was good and schedule(in 66 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and decent benefits.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is good(in 38 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Magellan Health and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good place to work

Mar 31, 2014 - Benefit Configuration Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

PTO and benefits are good. Very flexible on working hours and working from home. There is room for advancement within the company.

Cons

Salary seems to be lower than current standards. Often see new hires with less exprience being brought in at a high pay level. I have work here for 13 years and raises are not great.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Company to work for in IT

Feb 13, 2018 - Senior Production Operations Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive of the military! As a currently serving member of a Reserve Component (Air National Guard) this company is very understanding of what it takes to be a member of a Reserve Component. A plus to this is that they, as part of company policy, to cover my full salary for up to 10 days of training time away from the job. Most employers make you take PTO or reimburse you for 'wages lost'. Along with the company support there are a number of currently serving and veterans here from all levels of the military working at all levels of the company. Appreciated for your work. This is one of the first places outside the military I have felt that the job I did was appreciated and noticed, by all levels of the organization. Knowledge and experience are valued. It doesn't have to be in depth knowledge of an area but even a different way of looking at how to fix an issue at hand in IT. The IT leadership is hiring some great people from outside of healthcare to further improve the leadership and move the 'Exponential Organization' transition along. Opportunity for growth. I've had the pleasure to grow in my skills as well as be able to chart my path in the various directions I could go here. I've had no problems in telling a manager or higher up where I want to go in the company. Just about every time I have mentioned that, coaching was offered and who to reach out to if they could not provide the coaching needed. Responsive to feedback. IT leadership at all levels are very responsive to feedback. We use Workplace from FaceBook for company collaboration and communication. This makes very easy to reach out to leadership and offer feedback on pretty much anything. Pay and benefits are comparable to other places I have worked in IT. The annual bonuses and raises are better than any other place I have worked though. Hard work pays off in regards to bonuses and raises given as well.

Cons

We are going through an IT transformation pushed by the CTO to become an "Exponential Organization". There are growing pains with this and those who refuse to adopt and adapt to the changes. As someone who is relatively new (less than 4 years) it can make it difficult with those people in the organization and you get pulled in different directions.

Vice President, Digital/Social Media & Employer Brand

Thank for for leaving such a thoughtful review and for being part of our team. Keep up the good work!

3. Join the Magellan Health team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Resilience trainer

May 2, 2021 - MRT in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get all the Federal holidays

Cons

Limited advancement and pay raises

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

My Experience at Magellan Was Great! This company is a good company to work for. No complaints really. The pay better

Sep 18, 2014 - Data Management Specialist II in Maryland Heights, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Their PTO was Excellent. You receive 20 days of PTO starting Jan 1 and prorated if you begin any time through out the year

Cons

That pay is decent but not the best

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee

CustomerServce /Pharmacy Tech

Jun 6, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay was good and schedule

Cons

Management have favorites and don’t give time off

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Some good some bad

Dec 15, 2019 - MFLC
    Business Outlook

Pros

High level of Independence in work Supervision is not micromanaging Opportunities to take rotations overseas Very little paperwork.

Cons

The health plan is basically like not having insurance. The pay is 25000 per year less than other Professionals in the same location with the same credentials. There are only seven days of PTO and from time to time they get taken from you because of inclement weather. 7 Days also includes sick vacation and any other time off you would need. There is an extremely cumbersome system of logging in and out daily. Individuals are very disconnected and isolated there is no sense of teamwork or connection most people in this position do not know other people in the same position working for the same company at the same location. Aspects of HR are contracted out or you must search for your answers in and online Forum there is very little personal service when you have questions about benefits.

3 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for reviewing Magellan Health as a place to work!

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overloaded Caseloads and Stressed

Aug 28, 2019 - Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employment was somewhat better before they sold the company to Magellan Health. Magellan Health has a horrible HR Department!! This job is more about the participants budgets, computer and plan details than it is about the services and rapport with participants. This job is great for someone who really enjoys and is proficient with plenty of math. Nice concept, but many flaws in this program. The pay and amount of benefits offered are good.

Cons

Magellan Health has a horrible HR Department!! This job is more about the participants budgets, computer and plan details than it is about the services and rapport with participants. The Department of Health Services takes many months to approve a simple budget amendment for added services to improve a participant's health and safety. The consultants take the brunt for most of the issues for the program. Caseloads are too high for quality and it is mostly about putting out fires. Nice concept, but many flaws in this program. Work/life balance is difficult with overtime needed and working at home. Not enough training time before working alone.

Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear you had a negative experience working for us. We strive to have all employees valued for the work they do at Magellan to help others live healthy vibrant lives.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Bright Future

Aug 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great work/life balance. The work is enjoyable yet challenging. In my short period of time with the company, I have learned a great deal about the industry and even more about analyst related programming. I have an incredibly intelligent and supportive team. The pay is great and they have a solid bonus plan from my understanding.

Cons

Benefits are a little high, but it’s reasonable.

Recruitment Marketing Director

Thank you for reviewing Magellan Health as a place to work. Happy to hear you have learned so much about the industry and have enjoyed your work/life balance.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Room for Improvement- Struggling to Keep the Hope Alive

Feb 2, 2017 - Behavioral Health Care Coordinator in Columbia, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is great and the work done being supportive to members and connecting them with resources is rewarding. Not to mention there is a cafeteria and gym onsite. A great perk of working at Magellan.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations to manage work load; constantly working additional hours to keep up with the workload (unpaid); frequent changes of work expectations; high turnover of frustrated staff; lack of adequate support to staff; permanent weekend/evening schedule and shamefully the health insurance is horrible (HSA only option).

18 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Family Military Life Counselor

Jul 10, 2016 - Military and Family Life Counselor in Fairview, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is decent and you are off for the summer while school is out.

Cons

You are not paid if you are not there. You don't get paid for holidays or sick days. You do get 6 paid time off days for the year.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 206 Reviews