Magenic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Magenic CEO Greg Frankenfield
Greg Frankenfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They provide a great work/life balance for employees (in 12 reviews)

• Magenic is great place for any entry level people who would like to start their carrier in IT (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very embarrassing to have the client telling you something that the consulting company should have already known for a while (in 3 reviews)

• Over the years, some managers are have shown favoritism to an employee who sucks up to them (two of whom are no longer with Magenic) (in 3 reviews)

"Solve business problems with disruptive tech"

I have been working at Magenic full-time

Pros

Provides utopia scenario of stability and work/life balance in IT Consulting
    Quarterly Town Hall's with opportunity to ask co-founders any question
    Official dress code policy 'be comfortable'
    Career path guidance, mentor program, Magenic Masters training
    Annual Tech Gift (can't wait to see what this years will be!)
    Hosts company networking and charity events frequently
    Pushed to stay on top of new technology releases

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone. If you want predictability - to work on the same thing for the foreseeable future- this isn't the place for you.

Travel is minimal compared to most big professional services firms, but you will experience the least bench time and the coolest work if you can travel some.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay at the forefront of tech evolution by expanding complimentary service offerings. Remain true to the founding principle - to be a great place for technologists to work!

2. "Developer"

I have been working at Magenic full-time

Pros

Fun culture, smart people, interesting projects

Cons

Lower than average pay

"Sr. Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Magenic (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sharp technical talent - we always wanted to take on strong .NET engineers
    Decent management

Cons

Tech geek environment so not the most fun people around
    Sales driven consulting environment which is typically the case.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people around you and the different ideas they bring to the table.

"An honest opinion"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Magenic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A couple notes before my complete review of my years with Magenic:
    1. I'm a current QA employee, and writing this knowing my managers will be able to identify me by my opinions as stated in this review.
    2. Employees are offered incentives for posting "hopefully positive" reviews to Glassdoor - keep this in mind when reading other reviews of current employees. I'm keeping my opinions honest, and claiming no such incentives.

TLDR:
    1. Very nice managers and co-workers
    2. Relaxed, laid back work culture
    3. Nice, neat, clean office (MSP)
    4. Free beverages (coffee, pop, sparking water, etc)
    5. Flexible hours (client dependent)
    6. Paid-vacation on-par with other companies
    7. Offer training to hone skills
    8. Yearly cost-of-living raises
    9. Expense reimbursements offered

Detailed explanations:
    1. With the exception of a couple people over the years, management as well as co-workers are really really nice. All are willing to help with tasks. I've seen companies where job security is a threat, thus creating a culture where no knowledge is shared. This is definitely not the case at Magenic.
    2. The office offers a very low-stress environment. It is perhaps too relaxed at times (see Cons). Overall, I'm glad to work in an office where I can be happy to see my manager walking towards me, rather than worried.
    3. The St. Louis Park offices have been updated. Very modern, nice, and professional.
    4. If you work from the Magenic office, you have access to a variety of free beverages. It's a small perk, but worth mentioning as it's a "above and beyond" perk. And it beats the vending machines most places have.
    5. It's getting to be more of an industry norm, but Magenic management shows flexibility with work hours as needed. In addition to flexible hours, you can work from home on occasion if you have proven yourself to be a reliable and disciplined employee. This is all, of course, dependent on the client/project timeline. But from a Magenic point of view, I can't complain at all.
    6. From what I've seen and heard from people at other companies, Magenic offers on-par starting PTO. (120 hours plus holidays)
    7. Magenic offers a number of ways to increase your knowledge (classes, demos, audits, etc.) even while being paid. This is the best kind of education.
    8. Magenic offers its employees a yearly cost-of-living pay increase. This is typically a 1-4% increase. They can easily afford this, however. (See cons).
    9. Magenic offers partial reimbursements for misc. expenses. Most commonly used are cell phones (up to $30/month), and gym membership (up to $50/month).

Cons

TLDR:
    1. Severly underpaid
    2. Promotion process isn't right
    3. Lazy co-workers are given free rides without discipline
    4. "Sucking up" to some managers works
    5. Favor shown to those who do internal tasks over client work
    6. Unpredictable sales market = lay-offs and no promotions
    7. Managers string you along with empty promises
    8. Several perks have been removed that essentially equal a pay cut($100 monthly bonus for +85% utilization, and paid sabbatical at 10 years)
    9. No sick days
    10. Below average 401k

Detailed explanations:
    1. As others here have reviewed, Magenic offers its employees compensation that's well below the market rate (according to Glassdoor, I make 65.7% of what I'm "worth" with Magenic). This is very frustrating, especially when being "the expert" on client-site, and knowing the client employees are paid $15k+ more than you. It feels like you are being taken advantage of when the client pays Magenic an insane amount for your expertise, and your salary is well below market.
    2. The promotion process isn't great. You are expected to hold the roles and responsibilities of the title above yours before given that title. Allow me to elaborate:
    If you have title 'A', but are doing everything that title 'B' or even 'C' requires, you likely won't be given a title 'B' salary for a year (or years) -- until you have proven yourself. This is especially sickening knowing that Magenic is charging the client for your services as title 'B' or 'C' the whole time. Lots of extra $$$ for Magenic..
    This essentially means you won't get promoted if you do your job. You MIGHT (big might!) if you do the job of someone one or two positions above yours.
    3. Many employees work directly from the Magenic office, and not with the clients. It isn't uncommon to look around and see many screens with different forms of social media open constantly throughout the day. Management has attempted to remedy this, but it still occurs. These workers aren't disciplined, but are treated equally with those who don't waste the client/Magenic's money.
    4. It's unfortunate, but as other reviewers have mentioned, "sucking up" has worked for some. Over the years, some managers are have shown favoritism to an employee who sucks up to them (two of whom are no longer with Magenic). That employee is then far more likely to be called out with kudos than one who does their work and keeps the clients happy. This internal attention leads to promotions for them. It should be noted that sucking up to the client can have the same affect - where they receive the kudos, the rest not so much a whisper.
    5. There are employees who have figured out how to quite successfully work the system. They do a lot of Magenic-internal work, as well as "work" with a client. Management sees this as going above and beyond by doing extra work, but really the employee is still only working 40 hours/week, but not giving the client all they pay for (and leaves the slack for their fellow coworkers to pick up). So at review time, they look like the hero, while the employee keeping the client happy is "only doing their job".
    6. There have been several rounds of lay-offs through the years. Not completely Magenic's fault, since the market dips. This also means a year or two may go with no promotions.
    7. Promises have been made by management, and not kept on several occasions. Particularly when they feel one of their valuable employees is teetering on leaving. I won't disclose any more on this.
    8. Through the years, some of the bonuses that gave Magenic "an edge" over others have slowly been disappearing. As mentioned above, a monthly $100 utilization bonus was removed (or a $1200/year pay cut). A paid 3 month sabbatical after working 10 years was also removed.
    9. You get no sick days at Magenic. If you're sick, you either work (and spread your sickness), or take valuable PTO.
    10. Magenic typically matches only 20-25% of what you contribute to your 401k. Meaning if you put in $1000, and IF Magenic has had a good year, they'll put in up to $250. You're fully vested after 4 years.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' top complaints. You've recently sent surveys to some of us to uncover those complaints.
    We know we're underpaid. You know we're underpaid. If you want to keep your "good" employees around, pay them a fair salary. Some of the perks (free beverages, Christmas gift, etc) are nice, but I can't pay my bills with sparkling water and a Yeti cooler.
    Keeping the clients happy is what pays the bills. It brings in all of the money. So maybe you should reward the employees who focus on the client rather than those who focus on internal projects - many of whom do so on their client's dime.
    It's easy to forget about the people who don't "make noise" in the office, and those on client site. Try to remember that if you're not hearing from the client, it probably means they're happy, which probably means those consultants are doing a good job.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Principal in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Principal in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Magenic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Great work life balance and flexibility
    *Educational courses offered in all areas of Magenic
    *Have a question? Need help? There is someone in QA who knows or will jump in to help. Rare to find in other companies from my experience
    *Ability to advance within the company
    *QA GM holds monthly meetings to inform employees on what’s going on within both the department and other departments (many times guest speakers from Magenic will attend)
    *Weekly QA meetings to keep folks updated on other items
    *Easy to access QA CMs and GM; easy to find them and talk to them when you need to
    *Ability to be certified
    *Good benefits and perks (cell phone and gym membership) plus we have a great new area with a lot of natural light

Cons

*Some coworkers talk negative about not getting the experience they need to advance within the company. This really reflects on them and not Magenic. We’re always being offered classes and CMs will listen to career growth. People need to be responsible for their own efforts to grow, if they really want to.
    *No separate sick days - coworkers come into the office sick; they don't want to use PTO for sick days

Advice to Management

Keep holding the GM monthly meeting; offering classes and keeping it a great place to work with both work life balance and continue to be flexible

"Hope you get a good manager"

Current Employee - Tester in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Tester in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Magenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most people here are wonderful to work with and learn from
    - If you get a good manager, they will help you progress your career and advocate for you
    - If you get on a good project/with a good client, you will learn a lot and feel like you are doing meaningful work
    - There are a lot of internal projects/initiatives available to be involved in which is important when people are on separate clients to keep people feeling like a part of Magenic and not withdrawn to a small subset of the company

Cons

- You will be paid below market value until you are at least at the Consultant level. This is very frustrating and discouraging. You will see people that do less work than you and put in less effort than you be paid significantly more than you and it sucks.
    - Communication between managers and employees is usually pretty bad unless you are lucky to have a good manager
    - Problems faced on staff-aug projects? You're on your own, sorry. The sales manager for your project can and will hide your concerns from the client to keep them happy, because in the end money > retaining employees.

Advice to Management

This is directed towards QA management.
    - The managers with managerial experience are wonderful. It is too bad hearing people try to switch to a different manager and being declined the ability to do so. I truly feel like my career progression is much slower due to the manager that I ended up with. Our managers should be advocating for us and helping us progress in our careers and some of them simply don't care to do so, and are too focused on sales to have an idea of what their direct reports are even doing.
    - Pay people what they are actually worth. The people that work hard and do their jobs often are paid the same as or less than those that do the bare minimum.
    - Managers need training, and employees need an outlet to review their managers just like managers can review us.
    - Give us more of a voice and address our concerns. Pay fairly. Discipline the slackers. Reward those who deserve it. Pay attention to what we are doing. Communicate.

"Poor management and picks favorites"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Magenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to have a taste of many different technologies and work with man different industries.

Cons

Management picked favorites clearly. One person who worked there for less than a year had more perks than others because they would suck up to management or had more in common. People would be allowed a flexible schedule but some would not.

The pay there is very low for other companies in the area. They expected you to stay at least 10 hours in office a day.

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites and treat everyone equally.

8. "Great Company with Interesting Work"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Magenic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with low management overhead where self-starters and leaders can work on interesting and challenging projects using a disciplined but flexible approach. For those team members not in leadership positions, the company offers training, mentorship, and a chance to learn and use the modern tools and best practices. A strong collegiate culture, with a "help everyone" ethos, so motivated and communicative will never be stuck on a problem for long if they ask for help.

Cons

Not all projects leverage the latest and greatest technologies, and some projects can have non-technical challenges. If you want a promotion, you have to work for it and communicate with your management on your career plan, it won't be just handed to you. Also, consulting is not for everyone. If you are not a career minded self-starter, this may not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

9. "Sales"

I worked at Magenic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid technology resources and technical sales assistance for sales process.

Cons

Not a solid sales process or marketing efforts.

Advice to Management

Establish better lead generation.

10. "Decent place to start, if you are on the right project"

Former Employee - Associate Tester in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Tester in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Magenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Variety of projects to provide experience in a number of areas
    - Great autonomy of employees
    - Comfortable office space with free drinks

Cons

- Managers are managers for way too many employees allowing for very little individual time with them
    - May end up on a project using outdated or very niche technologies
    - At the mercy of what comes down the project pipeline with little to no say in what project you get

Advice to Management

Take a greater interest in your employees, help them out of tough situations, and try to give individual reviews on a more consistent basis.