Magnet Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Researcher"

Former Employee - Researcher in Malvern, AR
    Former Employee - Researcher in Malvern, AR

Pros

Worked from home on my own schedule. Just had to complete so many hours of research per week

Cons

There were no issues or negative parts of working here. I would say just to offer more hours to contractors for more work.

Advice to Management

none

Apr 15, 2016 – VP Human Resoures

Thank you for the positive response, however, there may be some confusion. We've never had remote, contractor/researcher positions.

"Magnet Systems"

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time

Pros

Work autonomy. Employees were hardworking and professional.

Cons

Upper management does not have good relationships with their employees. Approach towards performance and downsizing was sneaky and shady.

Advice to Management

Be real. Be honest.

"Company leaders are disingenuous!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate and aggressive leaders. Sharp and optimistic.

Cons

Leaders are disingenuous, and cannot be trusted.

Advice to Management

Honesty is the best policy. It will serve you well in ANY company you will run.

"awesome people"

Former Employee - Supermonkey in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Supermonkey in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the engineers, and even the non-eng staff were super-smart, killer skills, way cool to hang with, lots of people to learn from.

Cons

constantly shifting focus - kinda like being in a technology bouncy house.

Advice to Management

i think the focus has narrowed - at the time i was there, we were trying to do too much, and then not finishing any of it.

Jul 7, 2016 – VP Human Resoures

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate the feedback and our employees who have helped build a wonderful culture.
    Our vision and focus has always been the same. We... More

"Magnet Systems"

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Magnet systems was working on innovative and interesting technology. The people that I worked with there were motivated and intelligent.

Cons

At the time I worked at magnet systems there was a lack of go to market focus for the technology being developed.

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing technology to market that solves a particular problem

Jul 7, 2016 – VP Human Resoures

Our focus is on bringing a technology to market that... More

6. "Thrill of a start up"

I have been working at Magnet Systems full-time

Pros

The reviews here are a mixed bag, and probably confusing to someone just reading through them.

There were a few of disgruntled former employees, you can see that they felt compelled to post on Glassdoor to point fingers (and name call) to everyone but themselves. Were there silos, office politics, power struggles? Maybe, but my gut is those folks are the ones who wrote the negative comments and have moved on.

The real story, is the great employees are here; these are the “good” people, the folks who want to share in the company’s success. There is a lot of energy, collaboration, and teams having fun.

Magnet is a start-up in every sense. Yes, cool location, food, fun activities, great pay, great benefits, work-life balance (which is rare for a start up). Then there’s the risk---- it’s a start up-- of course there is risk, and then there is reward. It’s defiantly not for everyone, but having been in several start ups, it’s the thrill and energy that’s exciting. Of course it helps to have a high power CEO, and top investors.

The teams are very talented; the people are very friendly. The mobile technology is very impressive; and that would be why only the impressive products will be released. The employees take pride in what they want the world to see.

The management team are very approachable and want to hear feedback and ideas. To be honest in an all- hands meeting no one ever asks questions, so the CEO takes employees to lunch to hear their feedback.

Cons

Palo Alto traffic and parking.

Advice to Management

Don’t pay attention to the naysayers, keep building a strong team and recognizing the talented people you have. Keep listening and keep the open communication.

Aug 5, 2015 – VP Human Resoures

"Hard Work Pays Off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

CEO really cares about his product, management is supportive and knowledgeable, great location in downtown Palo Alto, snacks and drinks provided in kitchen, catering for lunch every other week, social events, amazing benefits, etc. Employees are extremely talented-work working individuals that are easy to work with.

Cons

In need of updated office space.

Jun 16, 2015 – VP Human Resoures

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on Magnet; we have built something really exciting and it is the collective focus and our culture that will drive our success.

"Things are looking up"

I have been working at Magnet Systems full-time

Pros

Exciting projects and lots of talented people to work with. CEO takes the time to listen to employees. Lots of hard work is required but there is so much opportunity to learn new things and grow with the company.

Cons

While things are improving, it's not quite there yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the improvements

Jun 16, 2015 – VP Human Resoures

"Matter of time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Magnet Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive to share at all.

Cons

Please read and reread the post from April 14th. The person who wrote that review has described the company accurately!

Advice to Management

They dont listen,otherwise my advise to them would be fire yourself

"This company just keeps bleeding good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of good food in Palo Alto? Free parking? Cannot think of anything else really. It was a stressful time working here, so much that I have forgotten all the pros.

Cons

I can't write a better review than the guy who has already posted a review titled "Death throes of a startup". He/she has essentially captured what this company is like.

CEO doesn't know where to spend his millions. He really doesn't know what to build. He keeps hiring new people and keeps firing old, good employees, putting the blame of his own failure on the people he fires. He has no vision and the company keeps changing direction every so often. The CEO expects the employees to give him something that he could take to the market and build another multi-billion dollar business (as is evident from the responses to other bad reviews by Magnet HR), without giving them proper direction. Overall, smart people, but zero team work.. people look for opportunity to stab each other in the back. That culture is exercised and promoted from the top.

Do yourself a justice, there are so many better places to work in the valley. I wish I could give 0 stars for senior management, culture & values, but Glassdoor won't let me.

Advice to Management

I really don't have much to advice for the management and giving one will not have an effect anyways. I do have an advice for whoever is left behind after series of layoffs/people quitting.. be empathetic to people being let go constantly... the question is not whether the same will happen to you, the question is when.

Apr 20, 2015 – VP Human Resoures

The startup life may not suit everyone. Magnet is certainly not the most stressful startup out there. But startups do require employees to accept responsibility and accountability for their work... More