Mailchimp Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2020

3.4
Mailchimp Founder/CEO Ben Chestnut
Ben Chestnut
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is accounted for, and everyone in the company is there to help you succeed(in 16 reviews)

• "I worked for Mailchimp in the Atlanta office for two and a half years, and my experience was overall a very positive one(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  1. "incredible place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits and salary and good people. great work/life balance

Cons

honestly, none that really matter

2. "Employee experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

Great company to be a part of.

Cons

None that I can think of.

3. "Growing Pains"

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay and the benefits are great. I have a lot of very smart coworkers, and the company focuses on community and Diversity and Inclusion in intentional ways that are felt by employees.

Cons

Priorities of senior leadership are constantly changing, major org changes are constant, and it takes a huge toll on productivity. While Diversity and Inclusion are priorities at a company level, individual leaders aren’t held to that standard which damages team morale.

4. "Very Mediocre"

1.0
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

The pay was very good for Atlanta and the

Cons

Senior leadership operates by trial and error, which is fine, but when there are errors the bulk of the work goes to ICs, which makes life miserable.

Continue reading

"High employee attrition rate, lots of lip service, leaders who actually care about their people are rare"

Current Employee - Product Designer

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

Especially in Atlanta, everyone knows the Mailchimp brand. Good benefits (but nothing is guaranteed so be warned). Listens to social issues and gives back to the community.

Cons

Product development is a huge struggle here -- don't expect to ship things. Employees give back the same feedback for the past year about poor management (see other Glassdoor reviews). The surveys come back with specific feedback and low satisfaction numbers. Instead of addressing the feedback, the company keeps having to reorg for every new "strategy" we take on. This place will burn you out from lack of leadership or you'll reach complacency as you watch your coworkers from various departments leave every month and teams constantly changing.

"Positivity culture is toxic, pay is below market value"

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Fully paid benefits - A soda machine at the office and snacks, I guess?

Cons

Department leaders, especially in support, are inept and tonedeaf. Management is toxic and unwilling to make any changes based on feedback, any attempts to point out systemic issues get met with rhetoric about how we should simply be grateful to be working and thinly veiled threats about how others would be happy to take our place.

"Bad culture"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent, Technical Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

Great coworkers who work hard

Cons

Bad culture from upper management, no growth

8. "Awesome workplace"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing place to work for tech.

Cons

No cons that I know of.

"Support treated as disposable"

Technical Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mailchimp

Pros

Company has fine benefits, great EOY 401k bonus, nice EOY bonus, good people to work alongside with

Cons

The 401k and cash bonus are NOT guaranteed each year, medical options barely cover most doctors/med professionals, PTO and sick leave are mediocre at best, support agents are treated as disposable and are not given chances to develop professional skills and compete with outside hires for internally posted positions. Management cares only for numbers and takes criticism personally; agents who request manager changes are retaliated against and HR takes the managers’ side, not the agents.

Continue reading

"One of the best companies to work for in Atlanta"

4.0
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mailchimp full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for Mailchimp in the Atlanta office for two and a half years, and my experience was overall a very positive one. Mailchimp cares about its employees, and it really shows in how generously they treat people. Pay: Base pay is good for the area. For a number of roles, Mailchimp gives quarterly performance bonuses (up to 10% of your annual salary), Christmas bonuses (up to 10%), and an end-of-year profit share put towards your 401k (19% of your salary when I was there). They match 6% of your 401k contributions, and even cover the expense ratio of your funds, which is kind of nuts. Benefits: Mailchimp's benefits are pretty comprehensive and cover medical, dental, and vision for you and your family. Mailchimp covers the amount you'd normally have to contribute towards insurance every paycheck. The design department also offers a generous professional development budget you can use towards workshops, conferences, books, and so on. People: The people at Mailchimp are the main reason I decided to join the company. I met a lot of kind, down-to-earth people in my time there, a number of whom I became friends with and still keep in touch with. I can remember only one person who was a jerk, and that's saying something in a company of 1,200+ people. Size: Mailchimp is still small enough for you to have an impact. I was able to work on some interesting features that were seen by millions of customers, which is an exciting and motivating experience. Brand: Mailchimp's brand and reach is still super strong. It was cool to go to events both domestically and internationally and see people respond so positively to the brand.

Cons

For all the good things Mailchimp offers as a company, the product side of the organization really dragged the experience down. Pace of work: Many of Mailchimp's Glassdoor reviews mention the great work/life balance, and that's true to a fault. In the latter half of my time there, Mailchimp's leadership decided to empower product teams to own their roadmaps—which sounds like a good thing—but this resulted in a very cautious product development approach. Very little got done, and I could see how frustrated this made the designers and engineers I worked with. There's a lot of talent at Mailchimp, so it's a shame it can't be put to better use. Ratios: The designer-to-engineer ratio is really low, which is part of the reason for the previous problem. Mailchimp's ratio is as low as 1 designer for every 2 engineers on some product teams, whereas 1:10 is more common at other companies. (As a designer, I used to think more designers was always better, but I've learned this matters little if there aren't enough engineers to build anything.) Accountability: There's very little accountability for the work you do. When I first joined Mailchimp, the company was reading Kim Scott's Radical Candor because people were prone to ruinous empathy. I don't think this changed any in the time I was there. If you're treated the same regardless of whether you've had a good or bad quarter, what's the incentive to do good work? Leadership: Mailchimp wants to be more than an email marketing tool, but it doesn't seem to know how to get there. Mailchimp tends to promote from within, which sounds good until you realize that a number of executives are in a leadership role for the first time and are making it up as they go along.

Found 112 reviews