Maimonides Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Maimonides Medical Center President and CEO Pam Brier
Pam Brier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are good benefits and compensations (in 7 reviews)

• If it wasn't for the Union benefits I would quit long time ago (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • there should be more room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• No room for advancement, moral is low (in 4 reviews)

1. "RN-ER"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Emergency Room in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Emergency Room in New York, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are the only thing I can think of after ten years. That's so sad. Salary is decent for a Brooklyn RN position but not worth the aggravation. You make more in the city and are treated humanely

Cons

Awful. Understaffed and dangerous with corrupt paranoid management watching you on video at all times. So weird. Besides the numerous disciplines getting away with murder bc of unions, the disgruntled numerous managers with no qualifications. It's a disgusting place to work. Don't do it.

Advice to Management

Northwell-- replace them all !

2. "Run away run far far away!"

Current Employee - Information Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

there is nothing positive I can say about this institution

Cons

Management expects its workers to do more than expected job parameters and does not care about the well being of its employees

Advice to Management

care about your workers and do more to increase employee morale

3. "Corruption, bullying, fraud"

Pros

The 1199 benefits, learning skills that will impress future employers, many loving co-workers.

Cons

Where do I start? They expect you to do more in a 7 hour day than is humanly possible. If you request overtime, they question your time management skills and refuse to give you any after a few times. Many people in my dept did unpaid overtime. Micro- managing and too demanding. Many colleagues faked seeing a patient and falsified documents to be in compliance and not face disciplinary action. Management is aware of the falsified documents but doesn't take action.

Lots of bullying. Lots of arguing and shouting regardless of department. Management calls you at home to bully for taking your rightfully accrued sick time. Many staff come into work sick because they fear disciplinary action, putting colleagues and patients at risk of contracting what they had. 1199 is great for benefits but the delegates are burnt out and don't come to your defense. They are more interested in their outside advocacy work and the political action fund. Delegates sabotage because they know less than you do about the by-laws and they aren't trained enough.

A staff member forcibly touched me and tried to give me a massage when I said I was tired. I reported it and my manager and I couldn't get a response of what happened for 2 months until the guy tried again. Then the HR lady wanted me to reenact how I said no in front of senior staff. "Was it a gentle no or a firm one?"

Too much focus on patient flow. Literally during weekend meetings, if quota is not met for discharges they will review the census and pick who they can discharge even though the patient was not medically cleared.
    Too much gossip, enough extra marital affairs going on.

Much more. I can't make this stuff up. I won't reveal other experiences in order to keep my identity hidden.

Advice to Management

Your terror tactics are killing the culture and hurting productivity. What else can I say? It's too big a mess for some advice to save the system.

4. "biller"

Former Employee - Medical Biller in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Biller in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits and nothing else

Cons

the worst place to work, management very stresfull and demanding

5. "Staff Nurse"

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time

Pros

great experience learned a lot

Cons

like a revolving door no end to your days

"I would rather keep it anonymous."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If in the 1199 union no co-pays for any Doctor.

Cons

When I was interviewed never asked if I spoke another language. I have voluntarily interpreted but, have refused b/c pay rate is the same as someone who speaks only English.

Advice to Management

Negotiate with the Union if hiring billingual staff will pay extra amount for that staff member.

"One pay three jobs."

Pros

Pays by the hour under the union. Good benefits from the union.

Cons

Literally I'm hitting my second year of working here at MMC and work just piles up. When I was hired as a temp for someone on maternity leave and when that person didn't come back I was hired at permanent part time 9-1pm M-F, as a physician's secretary. Now I have to cover each of my coworker's work whenever someone's on vaca and sick days on top of what I'm already doing. There are days where I really have to ask someone to cover my work for 2 mins to run to the bathroom. Can't take vacation because seniority has first dips, even holidays and whenever you want to transfer to another position within union, seniority gets first dips too. Dead end job...if you have a degree don't work here, I'm speaking for administrative work.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent people and not the lazies and complainers who throws their work at someone else. Also someone computer savvy.

8. "Sr. Mgmt: Incompetent, Petty, Maybe Financially Corrupt. You Do NOT Want a Job Here!"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some Middle Mgmt & co-workers decent, kind, people to work with. But many, back stabbers & worse Most Nursing/Medical staff are ok.

Cons

Upper Mgmt only interest is to keep cushy hi-paying jobs & treat workers like garbage. Make dumb deals with outside vendors for tons of money that lines their pockets.

Advice to Management

RETIRE. Take small pay cuts, instead of firing hard working dedicated worker bees without ever making a single announcement. Mgmt should step down ASAP. Learn how to treat hard working staff.

9. "Unprofessional"

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Good doctors and services. Some coworkers were nice.

Cons

Human resources and management are very unprofessional and straight up mean.

Advice to Management

Treat people with some respect. We're not dogs. Keep this up and you'll lose all your good staff.

"Worst company to work for"

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some helpful staff willing to share info

Cons

Disrespectful senior management. Everyone looking to stab each other in the back.

Advice to Management

Take classes in order to learn how to speak to your staff in a professional manner.