Maimonides Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Maimonides Medical Center President and CEO Pam Brier
Pam Brier

Pros
  • Great pay without a college degree, union benefits, 4 weeks vacation per year, lots of overtime if you want extra cash, and health benefits (in 5 reviews)

• good benefits and compensation the chance to make a real difference (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • there should be more room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• It appears that it all rolls downhill from the upper management and it's a pattern in this company's culture (in 4 reviews)

1. "What I thought would be a dream job turned into a nightmare."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Good community hospital in a great neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Cons

Weak protections for employees. I went to Human Resources because I felt my boss was abusive and emotionally unstable. Colleagues had told me my boss had a history of picking on one person in the office. HR never helped me and my boss fired me within days of my "confidential" meeting with HR.

Advice to Management

Doctors without budgetary and managerial experience should not be made department heads.

"Take my advise do not work in the MIS department"

Current Employee - Clinical Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Maimonides has some of the most extensive computerization of the patient care record in the country. The MIS department is convenient to public transportation.

Cons

Management operates from the view that bullying is good and does not know how to interact with a professional staff. It is difficult to create a team to work on improvements and go-lives because it is like a revolving doors. Some project managers are worse than others and therefore their team is constantly changing. It is not uncommon to have an 8 am meeting scheduled on the same day as a 5 pm meeting for a 9-5 position. Then management will call you in and ask why you left 5 minutes early. 'My or the highway' is a phrase often heard within the confines of the former auto garage, now the MIS department, across the street from live chicken industry..

Advice to Management

Change the entire upper level management's mindset. Physical and verbal abuse needs to stop.

"Worst company to work for"

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some helpful staff willing to share info

Cons

Disrespectful senior management. Everyone looking to stab each other in the back.

Advice to Management

Take classes in order to learn how to speak to your staff in a professional manner.

5. "Unprofessional"

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Good doctors and services. Some coworkers were nice.

Cons

Human resources and management are very unprofessional and straight up mean.

Advice to Management

Treat people with some respect. We're not dogs. Keep this up and you'll lose all your good staff.

6. "Sr. Mgmt: Incompetent, Petty, Maybe Financially Corrupt. You Do NOT Want a Job Here!"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some Middle Mgmt & co-workers decent, kind, people to work with. But many, back stabbers & worse Most Nursing/Medical staff are ok.

Cons

Upper Mgmt only interest is to keep cushy hi-paying jobs & treat workers like garbage. Make dumb deals with outside vendors for tons of money that lines their pockets.

Advice to Management

RETIRE. Take small pay cuts, instead of firing hard working dedicated worker bees without ever making a single announcement. Mgmt should step down ASAP. Learn how to treat hard working staff.

"One pay three jobs."

Pros

Pays by the hour under the union. Good benefits from the union.

Cons

Literally I'm hitting my second year of working here at MMC and work just piles up. When I was hired as a temp for someone on maternity leave and when that person didn't come back I was hired at permanent part time 9-1pm M-F, as a physician's secretary. Now I have to cover each of my coworker's work whenever someone's on vaca and sick days on top of what I'm already doing. There are days where I really have to ask someone to cover my work for 2 mins to run to the bathroom. Can't take vacation because seniority has first dips, even holidays and whenever you want to transfer to another position within union, seniority gets first dips too. Dead end job...if you have a degree don't work here, I'm speaking for administrative work.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent people and not the lazies and complainers who throws their work at someone else. Also someone computer savvy.

"I would rather keep it anonymous."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If in the 1199 union no co-pays for any Doctor.

Cons

When I was interviewed never asked if I spoke another language. I have voluntarily interpreted but, have refused b/c pay rate is the same as someone who speaks only English.

Advice to Management

Negotiate with the Union if hiring billingual staff will pay extra amount for that staff member.

9. "Staff Nurse"

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time

Pros

great experience learned a lot

Cons

like a revolving door no end to your days

10. "biller"

Former Employee - Medical Biller in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Biller in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits and nothing else

Cons

the worst place to work, management very stresfull and demanding

11. "Corruption, bullying, fraud"

Pros

The 1199 benefits, learning skills that will impress future employers, many loving co-workers.

Cons

Where do I start? They expect you to do more in a 7 hour day than is humanly possible. If you request overtime, they question your time management skills and refuse to give you any after a few times. Many people in my dept did unpaid overtime. Micro- managing and too demanding. Many colleagues faked seeing a patient and falsified documents to be in compliance and not face disciplinary action. Management is aware of the falsified documents but doesn't take action.

Lots of bullying. Lots of arguing and shouting regardless of department. Management calls you at home to bully for taking your rightfully accrued sick time. Many staff come into work sick because they fear disciplinary action, putting colleagues and patients at risk of contracting what they had. 1199 is great for benefits but the delegates are burnt out and don't come to your defense. They are more interested in their outside advocacy work and the political action fund. Delegates sabotage because they know less than you do about the by-laws and they aren't trained enough.

A staff member forcibly touched me and tried to give me a massage when I said I was tired. I reported it and my manager and I couldn't get a response of what happened for 2 months until the guy tried again. Then the HR lady wanted me to reenact how I said no in front of senior staff. "Was it a gentle no or a firm one?"

Too much focus on patient flow. Literally during weekend meetings, if quota is not met for discharges they will review the census and pick who they can discharge even though the patient was not medically cleared.
    Too much gossip, enough extra marital affairs going on.

Much more. I can't make this stuff up. I won't reveal other experiences in order to keep my identity hidden.

Advice to Management

Your terror tactics are killing the culture and hurting productivity. What else can I say? It's too big a mess for some advice to save the system.