Main Event "high school" Reviews | Glassdoor

Main Event Employee Reviews about "high school"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.7
Main Event CEO Chris Morris
Chris Morris
Pros
  • "Very fun environment, great first job for young teen(in 24 reviews)

• "great staff, fun place, and with many benefits(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long Hours (8 to 10 hour shifts are the average)(in 28 reviews)

• "high school drama and random rumors(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "high school"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Depends on the day, but overall not great"

Former Employee - Cafe Attendant in Columbia, MD

I worked at Main Event part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

•50% discount on food. •Free games. •Able to take off most requested days. •Most people are pretty nice. •Managers tend to be very understanding. •Weekdays are easy to handle.

Cons

•Overwhelmingly busy during the weekends. •No guaranteed breaks. •Sometimes asked to fill other roles you have no training in when understaffed. •A lot of employees mess around and get in the way when you’re trying to do your job. •Messy high-school level drama. •Open on all holidays. •Work late hours.

Advice to Management

Needs better organization and training. There needs to be a protocol for cutting off food orders when the kitchen isn’t able to keep up.

Main Event2018-11-23
  2. "Server"

I worked at Main Event part-time

Pros

Flexible Hours Good money during the holidays

Cons

Undertrained coworkers A lot of side work Many high school kids

Main Event2018-05-05

May 10, 2018Social Media Marketing

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We communicate your concerns to the appropriate persons to improve in these areas provided.

3. "Competitive pay, Operation Managers are understanding"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Main Event full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Competitive Pay -My particular position allowed for some decent hours (Worked in the sales office) -Holiday pay (birthday included) but this is only certain hours on certain holidays - July 4th is not considered a holiday -Yearly review in June (if you're on good standings then you might be looking at over a 2.8% raise) - Effective if you were hired before May -Free fountain drinks - 1/2 off everything... including specials, bowling shoes, non packaged items in the cafe at non-peak times - video game play cards (time cards that are not good for points) -Situations addressed were fixed in time, but sometimes took several weeks to be fixed or take effect.

Cons

-Open 365 days a year -Archaic rules (No unnatural hair color, no more than a certain number of piercings on your ear, having large earrings, no visible tattoos) -Growing pains -At first sales manager micro-managed -Party hosts, games attendants, bowl attendants, greeters, are typically high school age - expect some high school drama and random rumors -Unclear as far as career growth goes. If you want to move... up or get a raise you will have to fight for it and work through the managers to get it. - expect it to be a slow process -Little movement for growth at the center itself unless someone quits or gets fired -Sales manager at one point was inattentive to what she was scheduling me and on several occasions posted schedules with less than a week out (she wouldn't post until Monday sometimes and I had no clue if I was coming in on Thursday because weeks were Tuesday to Wed) [this situation was remedied finally after a couple months of this]

Advice to Management

Having unnaturally colored hair will not affects someone's ability to do a job, don't pretend like it will. Main Event is all about fun yet unnaturally colored hair is seen as a bad thing. Large disconnect with the corporate and centers. Things trying to be implemented should be tested first before just being put in place. Recognition is lacking. Employee of the month isn't well monitored and one time because the... managers failed to pick one in a timely manner, 2 were nominated at once for 2 different months.

Main Event2018-03-12

March 13, 2018Social Media Marketing

Thanks for being honest in your review. We take your feedback seriously. We do have dress code and policies outlined per our employee handbook. We do review our policies to ensure we are promoting the best work environment for our employees and guests. If you have additional concerns regarding our policy, we want to discuss your concerns. Please feel free to contact a member of our HR team at (469) 661-2695 to personally talk about anything you feel needs to be addressed. We want to make sure we answer all of your questions. Growth & Development is very important to our culture. We are improving in many areas to ensure that each employee sets attainable career goals. In addition, we know there are very deserving hard working teammates at our centers. We want to make sure recognition is received and consistent. We are actively seeking ways to connect with our team members at our centers. We are here to support you all. We want to make sure you feel the same.

"Amazingly awesome chaos"

Current Employee - Bartender in Humble, TX

I have been working at Main Event full-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers are usually all fantastic I've worked at several different locations from Katy to Humble! The tips behind bar were FANTASTIC and as long as you do your job it's a great place to work!

Cons

It's mostly high school kids that work there so there is a lot of high school drama but if your older you can definitely use that to mentor some of the these young minds!

Advice to Management

I had great management in Humble! Not one bad thing to say about anyone! As for the Katy location after going back most not all but most of the managers became so wrapped up in doing things there way that "team work" was thrown out! Everyone was out for themselves and that's not a good environment to work in!

Main Event2017-10-15

October 31, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you so much for your review! That's interesting about some of the managers 'doing' things when so often you hear about managers not doing anything! Thank you for your thoughts!

5. "GSR"

I worked at Main Event part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work with a lot of people your age

Cons

Minimum pay for excessive tasks and hours. They hire lots of high school kids so they do not have to assign good hours to any or pay well (minimum wage). Expect to work late school nights.

Main Event2017-10-27

October 31, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review. Hopefully it was stated on the front end before you accepted the position that there can / would be late hours. We're sorry to hear that you are no longer with us. I wonder if you requested different hours. Hopefully you gave us a chance to work with you before you left?

6. "Great Atmosphere! Family FUN!"

I have been working at Main Event full-time

Pros

I love the atmosphere, guests come here to have fun and I am able to feed off of then exude that energy to my team. Ever changing, not one day is the same as the last. Constant movement, never bored.

Cons

Hours are not family friendly. Open 365 days a year, have to work holidays Late operations hours Most hires are in High School, hard to teach or train someone for their first job and have them actually care about what they do.

Main Event2017-09-26

October 31, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for leaving your thoughts and experiences. That is one thing that just comes with this type of industry in general. The hours and the open days over the holidays. But at least we're in an environment where we can have fun every day and not just on the Holidays!

"Yikes"

Former Employee - Cafe Associate

I worked at Main Event part-time for more than a year

Pros

There was a decent employee discount: 50% off of food, free time cards for the games, and when the people were good, they were great. Training is simple and easy to understand and become proficient in. There is sometimes genuine fun to be had with guests. Paid 30 minute breaks. If you're friendly with different people it's easy to get favors, and get shifts passed around. Dancing was fun although we stopped doing... it mostly.

Cons

Terrible management, drama between coworkers constantly, bad scheduling, and draconian upper management. Main event is an "fun" place, yet I was constantly chastised for my earrings being too childish, my hair adsecories 'too pink' or my voice too loud amongst glaring lights and blaring arcade machines. The many different parts of the center, such as the arcade and bar, are managed separately by different managers,... so there is really no telling WHO you are supposed to be answering to. It's a very odd system. The center is often very understaffed and the 'trainers' (often with less experience than you, or the same amount) become untruthful or downright malicious when dealing with you. This is true about many service jobs, but I found my time working here to be almost entirely fraught with unhappy people. We did not provide a suitable product so they took it out on us. The managers were the same way. Our store manager was very unpleasant (made one manager cry and we all saw it) and so everything she said got back to us in a very scream-y way. While training is simple, a lot gets lost in the shuffle, so many new hires are woefully unprepared for the onslaught of customers. All the food is frozen and gross; servers are often tipped horribly due to the quality, which is no fault of their own. Too much favoritism from the GM, the system they use to give raises is very arbitrary and odd. There was CONSTANT drama amongst the coworkers. The schedule was often done in a way so that it was impossible to work. I was in my senior year of high school when I began working, and they often had me at the center until 12-1 in the AM knowing I had school the next day. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get out on time because only a manager can clock you out and they are impossible to get ahold of simply due to the workload placed upon them. The sheer expectations placed on them makes them irritable, and unhelpful. However, management had its true bouts of cruelty. When the center opened, the kitchen manager had a family emergency and the GM refused to let him leave. Many walkouts followed this. Tl;dr: Management is terrible, employees are petty, and the hours are awful. Job is only suitable as a 3 month summer place holder.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better and let performance make raise decisions, not the one who is the best at brown nosing. Care about the employees in your charge.

Main Event2017-09-04

"Party Hostess"

Current Employee - Party Hostess in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Main Event part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible scheduling -Good job for high school students/good as a first job -Decent employee discounts -Cool coworkers

Cons

-Pay is way to low for the amount of work you have to do. Tips are too inconsistent to justify such a low hourly wage. -Party Hosts are probably the most mistreated employees. It's hard to get along with the other departments. -Hectic environment. Sometimes parties can be a nightmare to deal with, especially when parents are rude or kids don't listen. - Hours are inconsistent. You can have a full day of three... parties one weekend to only having one party the next. -High turnover rate

Main Event2017-06-02

June 5, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you taking time to leave your feedback! Being in the family industry we strive to make things as consistent and smooth as possible, however, people are unpredictable, especially when dealing with birthday parties and events where emotions are higher. We are disappointed to hear that you were made to feel mistreated. We have taken steps to get more people from HR do check-ins and hope that team members will express any concerns on the front end. Thank you for everything that you are doing for us!

"Team Service is treated like trash"

Current Employee - Team Service in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Main Event part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good first job for high school students -Half price menu, and the food is fantastic

Cons

-My department is treated TERRIBLY by everyone. Servers, cooks, dishwashers, even management, negatively looks down on Team Service. We're blamed for any and every possible thing that goes wrong. Even if it's a server's direct mistake, it's still Team Service's fault for not catching it and WE get disciplined. -Constantly understaffed -Underpaid -Overworked -Management doesn't know what they're doing either

Main Event2017-03-08

March 21, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your review and are extremely disappointed to read that your team is made to feel this way. We encourage all employees to discuss their concerns with their managers and if they feel as though they cannot go to their manager we highly suggest team members reach out to HR at the Support Center if they need a bigger voice behind them. We also have an employee hotline that should be used to anonymously report issues. This comment has been sent to HR for our Field HR to look into.

10. "Main event"

Former Employee - Oklahoma in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Main Event full-time

Pros

You get you and 5 friends free game cards to play unlimited video games for an hour and a half. Every day if you want. You and 5 friends get 1/2 off the menu and other activities.

Cons

It's a minimum wage job. The workers are mostly high school age. The bar drinks are expensive.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. Be honest and fair. Don't say one thing and do another.

Main Event2016-09-07