Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Main Street Hub Co-CEOs Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work environment is good, great people to work with" (in 29 reviews)

• "upbeat environment and cool people" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "The business owners are overpaying for a mediocre product (when it's actually done)" (in 24 reviews)

• "like most sales jobs there is a high turnover" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great Place, Great People"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and general vibe here was great. Their values can seem a little culty to newcomers, but once you're there you realize that management is just pumped to be running a good and socially conscious company, and they want to keep it that way. People are friendly and outgoing, the dress code is casual, the snacks are great, and they have an in-house barista and espresso bar – I was spoiled with my first job.

Cons

The workload can be intense at times, depending on your position, but this was starting to improve as I left, so it might be better now. Compensation wasn't great either, but there are a lot of perks, and it's certainly an adequate wage to live comfortably and enjoy life in Austin, Tx.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but be mindful of the opinions of the masses. Unpopular decisions garner a lot of gossip and whispering, and discontent spreads like wildfire. People eventually adapt, but I remember big changes having a worrisome effect on the teams.

Oct 17, 2018 – COO

Thanks for this review! I’m proud to hear that you valued our culture, working environment, values, and great perks (!) while you were on our Content Team here at Main Street Hub. It’s such an... More

2. "Worth trying for a few months to learn basic cold-calling skills"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive, energetic, young environment. They have a decent sales pitch that you can use in future sales positions. Beautiful office space. They provide leads!

Cons

There are too many young and inexperienced sales manager. Unfortunately, my sales manager was aggressive, impatient, and unable to effectively develop talent of new sales reps. I was told that I should not worry about growth opportunities until I was one of the top sales reps of 250 (when I graduated at the top of the training class).. then what was I in the grind for?

Advice to Management

I left due to the relationship I had with my manager. Words to management: please be more cautious of employees concerns so that you can quickly find them a team that is conducive to their success.

"Main Street Hustle, where's the quality?"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Fun company culture, amazing young people doing very hard work, and the support of each other is even stronger because of it. I've never seen so many people take care of each other, a real family. Now that it's part of GoDaddy there are sure to be improvements so it still is a good career opportunity.

Cons

Very little integrity in the execution of the work, no real emphasis or prioritization on quality, just reframing crap work to dupe small business owners into continuing to pay for something that is not doing anything for their business. They stumble on quality sometimes but it is usually an accident.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics, concentrate on delivering value, not just getting more clients, if you deliver value clients will sell your services to each other.

4. "Great Culture"

Pros

Great Training... They really seem to care.

Cons

-No parking provided
    -long hours
    -No coffee after 2

5. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Leadership is great. They train you so you are prepared for every aspect of the job.

Cons

It's a cold call job. Don't expect it to be easy.

Dec 19, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m glad that you mentioned our great leadership team and our world-class training and onboarding program. We’re extremely proud of the way we bring new reps to the team and... More

"Great culture and training"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for less than six months, and i love it. They train you very thoroughly from the start and make it very clear that you have a team of people who are here to help. It has made the transition in very easy because everyone wants to help and wants the best of you. Very fun workspace and colleagues, easy to feel a part of a family. The work may be repetitive, but creating new captions for customers each week has made me feel that i have a space to be structured yet creative. they have in-house programs that make it easy to handle many clients. If they see something that can be made more productive or easier on the content specialists, they create it. They really care about making sure nobody is overwhelmed. If you are, you can just ask to get things taken down a notch for you. I also love how everyone chooses their hours. As long as you get your 8 hours in, they are very accommodating with when you want to come in, and avoid working you overtime as much as they can. Comes with vacation days, health benefits, fun culture, great co-workers, and you're right in the heart of downtown Austin on Congress. Love it.

Cons

I do wish the pay was a bit higher for starting out. There are a lot of employees, so i get it, but sometimes it's hard to justify the starting salary. I have to take the metro in everyday, which takes about 40 minutes each way, but hey, it's a job, you have to commute. On the bright side, MSH pays for any public transportation up to $130 a month, which covers me completely. Again, the work can be a little repetitive, but it's enough variety to keep me feeling creatively fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing culture and work/life wise, but please pay your CS more! It would be amazing to see us be able to be get something higher that aligns more with the hard work all the teams do for clients. You guys still rock. :)

Dec 20, 2018 – Head of Global Services

Thanks for this review! I’m happy to hear that you love being a part of our team. It’s great that you value our culture and training, and I love that you highlighted our supportive team members. I... More

7. "What you make of it."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities at the company and if you're able to stick it out will open a lot of doors.

Cons

Hard to keep a good mindset overtime. The job is definitely high stress and tasking.

Nov 28, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for leaving this review. I’m glad that you mentioned that we have great opportunities if you work hard and support your team every day on the floor. I agree, the role can be challenging, but... More

"Low pay with lots to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought I would hold off on reviewing this role until I left this company. Now, I believe it’s important to offer up this info to prospective employees while it’s still relevant, and we continue to hire at breakneck speed.

I’ve read plenty of reviews that claim Main Street Hub purposefully lures in college students with false promises. This is, in part, true.

Before I became a Community Manager (now titled Content Specialist), I was told there would be numerous opportunities for professional development through special events with public speakers, internal teams, and promotions. From 2016 to 2017, I witnessed those opportunities evaporate as my internal team was disbanded, there were only two public speakers over the course of the year, and pay remained stagnant.

Cons

The Content team increased book sizes multiple times knowing that their employees would only be able to stay afloat by producing sub-par content. Unfortunately, nearly all of my coworkers sincerely cared for their customers and were often dissatisfied with the work they had to deliver due to unrealistic time constraints, poor tooling, and mismanagement.

I came on with a hiring class of ten -- two years later, two of us remain. Big picture: I’m thankful for all that I’ve learned, but I feel awful knowing the core of this company, Content, is treated so unfairly and underpaid.

I get a couple bagels each week, free coffee, occasionally fun team-building events (we waited four months for a holiday/Christmas party this past year), a chance to join the larger GoDaddy team, the chance to move into a spacious office on the east side of town, extremely smart coworkers as well as extremely sad coworkers that can sense their squandered talent.

Advice to Management

Many of the employees in the acquisition (GoDaddy) are underpaid for the work they do, both in relation to market salaries for comparable jobs and in relation to the constantly rising cost of living in Austin.

After the acquisition, certain departments received raises while others did not, including the supposed heart of the company: Social Media Services. Many people feel this is reflective of which departments GoDaddy values most. When speaking with higher ups, it's been made clear that the only way to earn more is to move up (few leadership positions are made available) or out ("leave if you don't like it").

Move forward with an increase in empathy and open your wallets to the workers at the bottom.

Dec 10, 2018 – Head of Global Services

I appreciate you taking the time to leave this review. Our Content Team is full of creative, passionate, hard-working individuals who work hard every day to deliver results for our local business... More

"Not For Everyone"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Coffee bar, everyone is young and friendly, pay isn't bad for a more monotonous role

Cons

Training, feels very much like a call center, the floor was not positive, multiple issues with the core product

Dec 4, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this feedback -- I appreciate you mentioning our friendly team, excellent compensation package, and awesome perks like an in-house espresso bar. I do want to point out, however, some... More

"Cold Calling"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks , good people to work with, snack room.

Cons

100 cold calls a day to small business owners who are trained to avoid solicitors. Takes a special breed of person to get rejected 99 times out of 100

Nov 28, 2018 – SVP Sales

I appreciate your review. Thanks for mentioning our great perks and incredible team that we get to work with every day.

The cold calling role can be challenging. That’s why we provide the... More