Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Main Street Hub Co-CEOs Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work environment is good, great people to work with (in 26 reviews)

• Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Change coming from the upper management level happens quickly, but making changes yourself can be arduous (in 25 reviews)

• like most sales jobs there is a high turnover (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Tremendous Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent management team; smart, strategic, thoughtful, humble
    - Strong, values-driven, no BS culture
    - Teammates and co-workers who are bought in and have each other's backs
    - Family-friendly, supportive of employees having a life outside of the office
    - Massive opportunity

If you are a hard-working, intellectually honest, results-driven team player - this is where you want to work. I turned down offers from several other startups in town to join this team and I have not once regretted that decision.

Cons

Honestly don’t have much to say regarding cons. One thing might be to keep working on bringing the Sales teams and the other parts of the organizations together more often; sometimes the separate offices can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

More of the same. Let’s keep after it - hiring great people and staying 110% focused on what’s best for our customers and our employees.

May 31, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thank you for this review and for focusing on our customers, our values-driven culture, and the amazing team we’re all privileged to work with. Our customers, culture, and team are the foundation of... More

2. "A life-changer"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best team to work with. Period. If you're willing to dig in and work, this job can change your life. Help and support are right there if you ask, and the structure of promoting from within means that the team just gets stronger. If you're ready to find strength in yourself and grow, this is where you should start.

Cons

It's not hard to cold call, but it can be challenging. You need to protect your mindset, and fortunately this is a good group of people who recognize that.

Advice to Management

Keep your standards high as you grow. Don't lose sight of who we are, at our core.

Dec 28, 2017 – SVP Sales

I’m proud reading this review and how you talk about your incredible, bright teammates. I also appreciate you pointing out our wealth of professional growth opportunities and that help and support is... More

3. "Future looks up"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

People are really cool to work with

Cons

Startup but still trying to find its footing at it grows

Feb 19, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review and for pointing out that being a part of Main Street Hub has a great future and provides many opportunities to advance your career. It’s a great launching pad for anyone who... More

4. "Pretty good entry-level job"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great people, cool office with snacks and stuff.

Cons

Work/life balance. It's just too much work for the salary given.

Feb 16, 2018 – COO

Thank you for this review. I’m glad that you enjoyed working alongside our amazing team in our upbeat work environment during your time as a member of our Content Team. Our Community Managers are... More

5. "Decent work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very energetic office. Very Very rapid advancement.

Cons

Not very many. Alot of changes happened recently. It seems that we are still trying to get things under control. There are alot of policies that changed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees to help them grow.

Feb 22, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for highlighting our energetic and positive office environment. I agree, it’s a great launching pad for anyone who is ready to work hard and be a part of a winning team. At Main Street Hub, we... More

6. "Sales is tough but worth it"

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lots of opportunities to grow

- tons of support if you are willing to improve

- work with great people

- snacks

-the commission structure is one of the best out there.

- great product that makes it a lot easier to sell.

- I was there for 2 years and Main Street Hub is committed to giving the sales teams all the best tools. Also they are constantly tweaking the script and making it better.

Cons

- it's a cold call sales job so if you have been in one of these you will know a lot of the same problems.

- about once a quarter a new training program would start but then quickly die off in about a 3 to 4 weeks. Its a shame because those training programs were always really helpful

- like most sales jobs there is a high turnover. I was with the company for 2 years and saw a lot of changes and it is getting better but there is still some work to be done.

Advice to Management

bring back Monday breakfast.

create a new on going training and stick with it for more then a month.

Feb 1, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this valuable feedback and for highlighting our professional development opportunities, incredible team, and supportive managers. It’s clear that in the time you were a part of the Main... More

7. "Coming here was the right choice"

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GoDaddy just acquired Main Street Hub, so I wanted to finally leave my review before the companies are fully combined.

What do you picture when you picture a laid-back internet company in Austin? A downtown office with a beautiful view? Coffee and bean bags and ping pong? Because that’s exactly what it’s like.

Free coffee (I don’t mean a Keurig. I mean a barista hat can make you an iced vanilla latte), free snacks and breakfast, free tampons and pads, free beer, sometimes free shirts, sometimes parties.

Super flexible. You can show up at 9:50 if you want, just work a full day. You’re also able to leave 4 hours early or get there 4 hours late for a doctors appointment or to make your flight or something, and it it doesn’t count toward your time-off.

You can reserve a room to curl up in with your laptop and your latte and just get work done without distractions.

The wins. I’ll admit, it’s rare to get a really GREAT win for your customers/clients. But when you can get a fake, negative review taken down for your customer, or you can actually increase their business, it feels really good.

They train the heck out of you. And if you’re ever struggling with something, they’re happy to meet with you and re-train you on anything.

The apps. MSH is able to handle so much work because our engineers created genius tools to make it easier. I won’t disclose any company secrets, but we have some incredibly valuable tools in our work.

I don’t interact with upper management too much, but the direct managers (team leads) are absolutely fantastic people. I believe mine is the best, but all of them are so nice, so helpful, and such hard workers.

On that note, communication is really open in the lower levels of management. You meet with your manager once a week to talk about how you’re doing and how you feel. But other than that, they trust you to get your work done.

I don’t know what it will be like once we’re GoDaddy, but there are lots of opportunities to move up, and your managers will encourage you to do so.

Not only is everyone great to talk to, they’re so helpful. If something crazy happens to your work (maybe there was a glitch and you didn’t receive half of your tasks yesterday and you have to catch up today), your coworkers will volunteer to help you finish it. Even if you’ve never met that person. Can’t say enough good things about the folks here.

Cons

I agree that we’re a little overworked for what were paid, but the amenities and lack of micro-management make up for it in my opinion.

You have to be working your hardest and your fastest every single second to be able to keep up. I’m not surprised that a company like this would expect that from its employees, but it is difficult some days.

Social media never, ever stops. MSH does what it can to give you days off, but it’s nobody’s fault if a restaurant receives 100 new reviews over the weekend and you have to respond on Monday. Just gotta deal.

Sometimes problems are given a short-term solution. That’s not only annoying, but not practical. I have seen some major improvements in the past couple of months, though, and I think with the acquisition, we’ll see some more positive change.

Customers/clients can be really unhappy with the service, even if you’re doing your best. They don’t understand social media and it can feel a little bit personal. On the bright side, you don’t have to talk to them directly, and I’ve had experiences where I, the Account Manager and everyone else on that client’s team really get together and help turn things around. Just know that sometimes, a client will just hate your ideas, and that sucks.

No parking. This doesn’t affect me that much but I’ve heard some gripes about it.

Some decisions are made without the employees’ (or our customers’) best interests in mind. It can be a little bit focused on money. I don’t think it would be fair to dive into that right now and gossip about decisions I don’t agree with. I was personally asked by my superior to voice my concerns, and I did. That’s all I really want in any situation: to be heard. Just know that it’s a big company, and they gotta make money.

MSH was acquired by GoDaddy and will no longer exist soon. While I’m excited about the new opportunities and improvements that will come, I’m still sad to see the company go. So that’s a con for me.

If you’re thinking about coming to work here in the next few months before we become GoDaddy, I say go for it. The negative Glassdoor reviews almost scared me off, but I’m grateful they didn’t. It’s pretty hard work, and there’s a lot of chaos, but they gave me a chance and I’ll never be sorry that I took this job.

Advice to Management

Dear Management,

Great job listening to your employees and finally adding post coverage to vacation time. I know the Out of Office team is small and we don’t want to create too much work for them, but I think you’re really gonna see a good affect on employee morale because of it.

I know why y’all increased our work, and I understand where your math came from, but I still believe it’s off. I trust in y’all to do what you’ve always done: instead of looking for less work, look for more solutions. I’m expecting there to be some big strides on the engineering side as we move forward in the acquisition.

Keep listening, keep trying to do your best. You know as well as I do that some unfair things have happened on both sides, but I know that y’all value us community managers. Just make sure we feel that every day!

Team Leads, y’all are the backbone of this company. There was a week I wanted to quit, and one conversation with my team lead changed everything. Keep it up.

Feb 5, 2018 – COO

Thank you for this thorough and thoughtful review. It sounds like you’re really embracing the opportunity you have here as a member of our Content Team. I appreciate how you talk about your... More

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruiters do a great job on selling you on the job position. They give you a tour around the office, show you all the "perks" and what your day-to-day looks like. The interview process went smooth and recruiters are very nice and interested in getting to know you.

Cons

High turnover rate. They hire just about ANYONE. The product is impossible to sell.

Feb 9, 2018 – SVP Sales

I appreciate that you highlighted our talented recruiting team. They are dedicated to bringing team members to Main Street Hub who can help us further our mission of helping more local businesses... More

"It's a grind"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll have a fantastic group of peers to work alongside. The product is continually getting better, and the company is building a new building soon.

Cons

Management needs a lot of work, and you will not find a lot of room for career growth here. A lot of great people are pushed out because they voice opinions about the way teams are managed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, and make a little bit more of an effort to listen to employees and work to make employees want to support you.

Jan 11, 2018 – COO

I appreciate the way you talk about your talented teammates. We really do have a fantastic group of people at Main Street Hub, all working together to further our mission. And, I agree, our product... More

10. "Great Launching Pad"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Main Street Hub is a great place to launch your career in marketing. Management is supportive and interested in your individual growth.

Cons

The company is budgeted so individual salaries and team budgets aren't what they should be.

Jan 9, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review and for pointing out that being a part of Main Street Hub is a great way to start your career. I agree, it’s a great launching pad for anyone who is ready to work hard and be a... More