Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Main Street Hub Co-CEOs Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart

Pros
  • Great people to work with, but often felt like a day care center (in 21 reviews)

• Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Change coming from the upper management level happens quickly, but making changes yourself can be arduous (in 26 reviews)

• Also it's cold calling so you need to be prepared to make over a 100 phone calls a day to some rude business owners (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great Starter Job for Beginning Sales People"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great commission structure, great benefits, beer at 5:30. Great Positive environment. Great for Sales people who aren't very experienced.

Cons

Lots of cost cutting, No more fun snacks, few drink options, and when the taps run out your outta luck

Advice to Management

Stop mirco-managing. The job has enough pressure itself...

"Positive environment with people that are very real!"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would like to begin by saying I am a female over 40 and I absolutely love my job! I started in November 2016. I am NOT looking to be in management, I am happy to be on the phone helping business owners understand the importance of social media. The reason I mentioned I do not want a management role is because I think it is important to understand this review is written from my true self! The pros I have found here are more important than snacks, it is the self motivated people, positive vibes, the vibrant energy that flows through the building daily! I go out often to our team builders and every single person, whether it be a sales person or a manager are treated EQUALLY! I think the only requirement is just to be positive and have fun. I appreciate the respect I am given, I appreciate my manager, I appreciate her boss and most of all I appreciate how every human in that building is given the same chance whether you are a male or female, young or older, we are all given the same exact chance to succeed, we are all given the same positive energy. For those who found this job to not be rewarding it is truly because this job is not made for everybody, that is a reality. For those who say the environment is a frat club, I am baffled by those words because the male managers I know are fathers to girls and have compassion. I see every co-worker as my equal and vice versa! Whether they have a title or not I am treated exactly the same! I am very open and real and have even been told I can go into leadership if I wanted so the only motive I personally have to write this review is to be real. This job is not easy, not everybody succeeds but effort and positivity can take you far in life!

Cons

The snacks suck for me because I rather eat more healthy. The leads in the queue need to be inspected closer and updated. Leads are very important to provide to a rep so that should be a priority.

Advice to Management

You are doing good management! Your compassion and capabilities to make our job more fun is appreciated! Thank you for understanding our struggles and helping us get through them as a team!

3. "Fun work environment but may not be for everyone"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my experience there, management really does try to create a positive work environment and listen to all employees. They definitely care about their clients too and worked hard to try and give them the best product they could, even if it meant making big changes. I had a great direct manager that genuinely cared about how I was doing, both in work and on a personal level, and they always asked for my input. Since the company itself is still fairly young, there were lots of opportunities to move up or move into different positions even within my first few months there. Most employees (at least in Content) genuinely seemed to enjoy working there - plus there was free food, beer on tap, ping-pong, and you could show up to the office in sweats.

Cons

This is a startup in Austin, so most employees fit certain demographics (young, liberal, etc.). That's not necessarily a con, but it just means that this place may not be your vibe and you may feel a bit left out - especially since there's quite an emphasis on teams. I was also frustrated by the workload - with over 100 clients, it's next to impossible to make sure everything you created was the best it could be (even if you were working 50 hours a week). They were always looking to improve though, including in this area.

Advice to Management

I was really rather impressed with the concern you had for your employees and work environment -- keep it up!

Apr 14, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for this review. Your comments about your experience with your manager are great to hear. We always prefer to promote from within, and as a result, our management team is comprised of ... More

"Comprehensive review of Sales Rep position, as of March 2017"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working here about 6 months and love my job. It's not perfect though, and I want to leave a very honest review.

This is a very rapidly growing startup, so this GS change here all the time. I'm writing this review in March of 2017, but things could change if you're reading this several months later.

This is basically a telemarketing job, but somehow it's swanky. We cold call independently owned businesses around the country, try to get to the owner, and then pitch them our product if they're interested. The pitch takes about 60-90 minutes depending on how many questions they have. If you close a deal, you'll make anywhere between $225 and $1225, depending on the package you sell, and the commission structure you're on. The business you sign up pays on a monthly basis after you close them.

The hours are 8:30am - 5:30pm.

Benefits include fully paid insurance, and 15 days PTO.

Currently, this is the pay:

- 20K base pay + commission + 5% residuals.

- Residuals is 5% every month of what all the businesses you've ever closed down are still paying you. (You only get residuals after you've been here for at least 6 months). Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals.

- Commission is determined by performance. The top 20% of sales reps earn 125% commission of the first month's payment. The middle 30% earn 100% commission, and the bottom 50% of reps earn 75% commission.

- So if you are in the middle 100%, and you close down $1500 in a month, then your take home (without residuals, and before tax) would be about $3100 in a month.

- If you're in the top 20%, and you close down $4500 worth of deals, then you're take home (without residuals and before tax) would be $7225 in a month.

- If you don't sell anything, you'll make $1600.

So there is definitely some opportunity to make great money. I'm in the top 20% so I make great money. But it's definitely a kill-your-own-meat kind of job. I have some coworkers who are earning 6 figures, but there are some people who are skating by on $30K a year.

Also, there is no included parking. I live close to work so I bike, but I know some of my coworkers are paying close to $400/month for a parking garage. Yikes.

This is an entry level sales position. You don't need any experience. The training here is very intensive, and the management is extremely supportive. There are definitely people who struggle here, but the only people who FAIL either (1) don't like it, (2) don't work hard enough, or (3) aren't very trainable, meaning they don't follow the process and don't listen to their managers. I'd say about 50% of people who accept this job drop out for one of those above reasons. Everybody else finds a way to succeed, even if they have a hard time of it.

Honestly, this job is super easy if you are trainable. If you have tons of sales experience, prepare to set aside a lot of what you know. Be ready to come to this job fresh, curious, and willing to learn. We literally read a script. All our responses and rebuttals are scripted. I read the script pretty much verbatim, and do very well at this job.

We have a great office in downtown Austin. The sales department has their own office building separated from the other teams. Because of that our office is pretty crazy! We listen to loud music all day, people are loud, we ring a big gong any time somebody closes a deal. It kinda reminds me of The Wolf of Wall Street in terms of it's high energy craziness. Or of a sports team before a big game. This intensity is pretty necessary to stay focused and not get too bored since we are just cold calling businesses all day.

The product is wonderful. We sell do-it-for-you social media management, and it's truly impressive how comprehensive and modern our product is. In training you will be very impressed when you learn about it!! I feel really good about our product because it truly helps small independently owned businesses.

Success here is built on positive reinforcement. You do not get reprimanded for doing poorly, but you get heavily rewarded for doing well. Every day we have games and competitions to win extra cash and nice gifts. When you do well, directors and even executives will come give you a high five and cheer you on. It's a very positive and supportive environment.

There's a lot of room to grow with this company. If you are a hard worker, a good performer, and you are interested in leadership, you will move up, probably in less than a year. This company is growing crazy fast. If you want to find yourself in a high up position, start now, and work hard. This company is going places, and now is the perfect time to start.

One thing I really like about this company is our values. I recommend learning about MSH’s core values. We really do live up to them.

Cons

Okay so here are my biggest issues with the job:

There's very little diversity. I'm a woman, and less than a third of the office is female. There’s definitely some ethnic diversity, with a lot of brown people, but it's not properly representative of Austin. Also, this office is very young. So if you're a woman, older than 40, or brown, please come work here! It would make the office more pleasant for everyone if we had better diversity.

It's really, really boring sometimes. You literally have to make 50-100 phone calls every single day just to close one or two deals a week. The monotony requires great discipline.

Management is very strict about scheduling! There is basically no flexibility. You have to be there from 8:30-5:30. Lunch is from 12-1. If you are back from lunch at 1:01, you're late! You won't get fired but they make a huge deal about it. It's honestly the thing that has upset me the most about this job. It feels like they're treating us as children. But you get used to it. Everybody works a minimum of 40 hours a week, but there are a lot of folks who work more like 50 hours a week.

Overall, I love this job. I'm a college dropout in my mid twenties with about 5 years of previous sales experience. I do very well here. I haven't started earning residuals, but even without those, I'm on track to earn about $75K/year. I love love love my manager and our leadership team. I have a lot of fun here, we play a lot of games. I find myself laughing and dancing throughout most of the day. I feel valued and supported and LISTENED TO. I definitely plan on staying with this company for a few years.

"Be aware - entry level woes, cost cutting and beyond."

Current Employee - Platform Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Platform Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is primarily positive. Most of your teammates will be helpful, and your direct supervisor (probably) won't set unreasonable expectations for you. Their flex time is also a plus; office arrival and departure times are rarely monitored and/or scrutinized, and if you need to come in a few minutes late one day, you won't be penalized. They also have snack options.

Cons

The company is undergoing changes that negatively impact the majority of employees, especially those in entry level positions (Community Manager, Platform Specialist, Account Manager). For over a year there has been a trend toward cost cutting, which has hit the entry level positions the hardest and created ripple effects that can be seen throughout the company. These effects range from small changes, like the elimination of snack food options, to large ones, such as a shift to lower quality healthcare plans and a refusal to promote or compensate employees for standout work. Rather than hire new talent to offset its growth, Main Street Hub increases the workload of existing employees. Quality work is often sacrificed in the name of speed, with some departments putting in weekend hours to meet their quotas. At the turn of the new year, the job I was hired for was dissolved and I was transitioned to a phone support role. This kind of uncertainty seems to be commonplace, and is something that prospective employees should be aware of.

Advice to Management

Stop, look, and listen.

Apr 25, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We’re glad to hear that you think highly of our company culture, incredible team, and supportive management. We’re building one of the fastest ... More

"Good Old Boys Club and Frat Culture"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a female I think it's important to write this review for other females (and males) looking for a job in Austin Texas. There are many inside sales roles looking for young people to work for them. Please read this review and choose wisely.

The pros here are mainly good opportunity to make money, training, snacks, product.

Cons

When I first applied to Main Street Hub I had hesitations because of previous reviews talking about a boys club and frat culture. At first everything seemed to be going well. As I went through training there's a lot of great energy and it seemed like there was a bunch of cool perks as well. Yesterday I went to my very first team builder and it became evident where those reviews for stemming from. Upper management (mostly male) arrived and promptly met up with a bunch of ex Main Street Hub employees. They told stories of the old days when they would drink at their desks and have wild parties. They continued to make off-color remarks throughout the night . It was initially my intention to learn from him about upward mobility at Main Street Hub and perhaps some tips for success. It became evident this was not the place for that as liquor was pulled from a private locker there to ensure that all current co-workers had plenty of alcohol in their system. This was not a casual couple of drinks it was a binge.

As a female manager there will be a couple of tough pills to swallow. That is should you ever get there. What I witnessed the other night left a bad taste in my mouth. As a woman I was left wondering if unprofessional behavior was part of being plugged into a good old boys network that allowed promotion with such behavior. After a quick look at upper managements social media I was met with images of lewd and sexist hashtags.

Interestingly Main Street Hub has a core value "I am Main Street Hub". The irony.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that is friendly for women. Ask yourself if this behavior is truly in line with Main Street Hub values? What kind of behavior at team builders and on social media is acceptable? What kind of behavior with female subordinates is acceptable? With so few females in leadership ask yourself why that may be?

For the sake of female employees and effecting change I am more than happy provide further details

Apr 20, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you for this review. We take your comments very seriously. In our offices in Austin and NYC, we uphold our values -- we each represent Main Street Hub through our decisions and actions while we ... More

8. "Good start up inside sales"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great training program for introduction to sales

Cons

poor management moving forward with company

Advice to Management

more enthusiasm

Apr 4, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you for this review. I’m glad that you noted our industry-leading training program. Our team is growing fast, and as we grow, we are making strides every day to help our reps be successful as ... More

9. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work around, wonderful leadership, a barista, WONDERFUL leadership, opportunities to move within the company,GREAT company values, fast paced and able to help local businesses thrive!

Cons

Cold calling, rude people on occasion, constantly getting over rejection.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing..maybe add match on the 401K plan

Apr 3, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you so much for this review! I am so proud that you not only noted our fantastic team and leadership, but all the opportunities you have to advance your career at Main Street Hub while helping ... More

"Self source or fail"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great values and solid training.

Cons

Success HEAVILY depends on self sourcing leads and you are not told that up front when interviewing or being trained. I will take responsibility for not being proactive in asking but, I see it as misleading.

Advice to Management

Be upfront.

Mar 24, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review. I’m excited that you truly appreciate our team, values, and training program. We have a world-class team and because we’re all living our values, we are able to support each ... More

"Sales Rep at Main Street Hub"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible amounts of support and high-caliber training, friendly co-workers and earnest managers who genuinely care about your individual success, from team managers all the way up to executive management (it's not out of line or even unusual for me to have candid conversations with or ask for advice from someone like the SVP or a director)

Important to note as well is that the company walks the talk of Reverence for Local Business (one of the seven core values) from the sales process to the product and the nature of how we conduct our service. The respect we have for partners/customers is baked into the core psychology of everyone in the building, as well as the operations itself. You know, walking in each morning, you're genuinely doing good for the people you're selling to and filling a deep need for each business owner you talk too. Which, of course, takes a lot of the pain of being a "salesman" or "telemarketer" out of the equation and in turn feels more consultative and benevolent. That makes it easier on hard days and makes it easier and more satisfying to actually guide these small businesses into a smart investment that in turn bolsters their ability to serve their communities more efficiently but also better provide for themselves and their families with more peace-of-mind

Cons

It's still a sales office, the pressure's on to ensure a healthy income and job security. Because of a very short cycle (optimal is 3 days, typical is around a week) commission may be comparatively small on a per-deal basis (most deals can range anywhere from $300-$700) so you have to make a lot to do decently well.

Advice to Management

none, they're running a good ship

Mar 28, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m excited to hear that as a member of our ATX Sales Team, you are growing and thriving. I’m so happy that you feel supported while surrounded by your talented teammates and ... More