Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Main Street Hub Co-CEOs Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work environment is good, great people to work with" (in 29 reviews)

• "upbeat environment and cool people" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "The business owners are overpaying for a mediocre product (when it's actually done)" (in 24 reviews)

• "like most sales jobs there is a high turnover" (in 24 reviews)

1. "What you make of it."

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities at the company and if you're able to stick it out will open a lot of doors.

Cons

Hard to keep a good mindset overtime. The job is definitely high stress and tasking.

Nov 28, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for leaving this review. I’m glad that you mentioned that we have great opportunities if you work hard and support your team every day on the floor. I agree, the role can be challenging, but... More

2. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Leadership is great. They train you so you are prepared for every aspect of the job.

Cons

It's a cold call job. Don't expect it to be easy.

Dec 19, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m glad that you mentioned our great leadership team and our world-class training and onboarding program. We’re extremely proud of the way we bring new reps to the team and... More

"Great culture and training"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for less than six months, and i love it. They train you very thoroughly from the start and make it very clear that you have a team of people who are here to help. It has made the transition in very easy because everyone wants to help and wants the best of you. Very fun workspace and colleagues, easy to feel a part of a family. The work may be repetitive, but creating new captions for customers each week has made me feel that i have a space to be structured yet creative. they have in-house programs that make it easy to handle many clients. If they see something that can be made more productive or easier on the content specialists, they create it. They really care about making sure nobody is overwhelmed. If you are, you can just ask to get things taken down a notch for you. I also love how everyone chooses their hours. As long as you get your 8 hours in, they are very accommodating with when you want to come in, and avoid working you overtime as much as they can. Comes with vacation days, health benefits, fun culture, great co-workers, and you're right in the heart of downtown Austin on Congress. Love it.

Cons

I do wish the pay was a bit higher for starting out. There are a lot of employees, so i get it, but sometimes it's hard to justify the starting salary. I have to take the metro in everyday, which takes about 40 minutes each way, but hey, it's a job, you have to commute. On the bright side, MSH pays for any public transportation up to $130 a month, which covers me completely. Again, the work can be a little repetitive, but it's enough variety to keep me feeling creatively fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing culture and work/life wise, but please pay your CS more! It would be amazing to see us be able to be get something higher that aligns more with the hard work all the teams do for clients. You guys still rock. :)

Dec 20, 2018 – Head of Global Services

Thanks for this review! I’m happy to hear that you love being a part of our team. It’s great that you value our culture and training, and I love that you highlighted our supportive team members. I... More

"Low pay with lots to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought I would hold off on reviewing this role until I left this company. Now, I believe it’s important to offer up this info to prospective employees while it’s still relevant, and we continue to hire at breakneck speed.

I’ve read plenty of reviews that claim Main Street Hub purposefully lures in college students with false promises. This is, in part, true.

Before I became a Community Manager (now titled Content Specialist), I was told there would be numerous opportunities for professional development through special events with public speakers, internal teams, and promotions. From 2016 to 2017, I witnessed those opportunities evaporate as my internal team was disbanded, there were only two public speakers over the course of the year, and pay remained stagnant.

Cons

The Content team increased book sizes multiple times knowing that their employees would only be able to stay afloat by producing sub-par content. Unfortunately, nearly all of my coworkers sincerely cared for their customers and were often dissatisfied with the work they had to deliver due to unrealistic time constraints, poor tooling, and mismanagement.

I came on with a hiring class of ten -- two years later, two of us remain. Big picture: I’m thankful for all that I’ve learned, but I feel awful knowing the core of this company, Content, is treated so unfairly and underpaid.

I get a couple bagels each week, free coffee, occasionally fun team-building events (we waited four months for a holiday/Christmas party this past year), a chance to join the larger GoDaddy team, the chance to move into a spacious office on the east side of town, extremely smart coworkers as well as extremely sad coworkers that can sense their squandered talent.

Advice to Management

Many of the employees in the acquisition (GoDaddy) are underpaid for the work they do, both in relation to market salaries for comparable jobs and in relation to the constantly rising cost of living in Austin.

After the acquisition, certain departments received raises while others did not, including the supposed heart of the company: Social Media Services. Many people feel this is reflective of which departments GoDaddy values most. When speaking with higher ups, it's been made clear that the only way to earn more is to move up (few leadership positions are made available) or out ("leave if you don't like it").

Move forward with an increase in empathy and open your wallets to the workers at the bottom.

Dec 10, 2018 – Head of Global Services

I appreciate you taking the time to leave this review. Our Content Team is full of creative, passionate, hard-working individuals who work hard every day to deliver results for our local business... More

5. "Not For Everyone"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Coffee bar, everyone is young and friendly, pay isn't bad for a more monotonous role

Cons

Training, feels very much like a call center, the floor was not positive, multiple issues with the core product

Dec 4, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this feedback -- I appreciate you mentioning our friendly team, excellent compensation package, and awesome perks like an in-house espresso bar. I do want to point out, however, some... More

"Cold Calling"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks , good people to work with, snack room.

Cons

100 cold calls a day to small business owners who are trained to avoid solicitors. Takes a special breed of person to get rejected 99 times out of 100

Nov 28, 2018 – SVP Sales

I appreciate your review. Thanks for mentioning our great perks and incredible team that we get to work with every day.

The cold calling role can be challenging. That’s why we provide the... More

"Awesome! You're well taken care of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First thing--don't let the negative reviews stop you from considering MSH. I almost let the bad reviews stop me from taking the offer but I don't regret it for a second. I've never worked somewhere where the culture fosters so much positivity and growth and teamwork. I love that everybody's young, the office is always full of energy, and everybody is so dang friendly and great to be around! The product is fascinating, although feels a little bit like an assembly line of workers in a machine. The variety of businesses you will work on will prevent it from feeling too repetitive though. Everybody's truly passionate and caring about customers. Overall great company culture, awesome management, everybody's helpful, the office is great. I could go on and on. This is an amazing first job.

Cons

Wish the pay was better. BUT commute by bus/carpool/bike/etc. is paid for, free Houndstooth barista, free breakfast. All three combined saves me so much time and money. So much. On top of that, they have very generous PTO, some work from home opportunities during holidays, and paid medical/dental/vision. This is no longer a cons section oops.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Orientation/training/hiring is EXTREMELY organized and thoughtful. I felt like I was able to ease into my role and in the culture of the company. The awesome employees making fitting in here very easy. Management is great, caring, and helpful. I feel very comfortable here.

Nov 7, 2018 – COO

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review! I’m proud to hear that you feel comfortable working here and that you value our culture, positive working environment, values, (and great perks like... More

"Great People- Corp company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

The people you work with will become great friends. My manager also really cared about my progression.

Cons

They are a burn and turn company. Their warnings verbal/ written/ final are bogus. After training and only running 2 demos they put me on a written because I was already on a verbal due to good ole Austin traffic... even after providing proof that it took me an hour and a half to get there because of traffic... this is all before even hitting the sales floor. After the first two weeks on the sales floor of not hitting 500msp I got put on a final. That’s when I popped off and closed 4 deals in a 2 week span. Then the next month I didn’t hit the first two weeks. This put me back on a final and again in the final two weeks of the month I closed 4 deals putting me in top 20% of the company... that didn’t matter though.... because the the last month with them I struck out and didn’t close a deal and was canned.

Advice to Management

You should really analyze who you fire and ask yourself if you should keep them before letting them go

Nov 14, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. I’m glad that you mentioned our awesome team members and supportive managers that lift us up every day on the floor. I do disagree, though, with the... More

9. "Good training, bad policies, inflated promises"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You’ll probably really like your coworkers and the benefits. Training was well designed, except the call coaching was sometimes sloppy and did more harm then good. Trainers would jump into calls without enough context and derail everything.

Cons

Tardiness/absence policy is terrible. Circumstances outside of your control will get you fired for being one to two minutes late three times in a month during training. And I’m talking about emergency circumstances, not just traffic, or car issues. Even if you have proof that you weren’t just lazy or irresponsible, like police reports, you’ll get fired. Even if you are one of the best they have. It’s not pretty. If I found out someone harmed themselves after the stress of a worst case scenario termination, I wouldn’t be surprised.

You’re expected to research your own leads to be a top performer, which seems like a great idea....except it has to be on your own time, not on the clock. Otherwise, you’re stuck cycling through all the angry leads who have already said no multiple times.

And there’s no quotas, there’s goals that must be met within each month. Monthly, not quarterly. So even if you’ve proven yourself, if you get dealt bad leads and don’t close on anything several times in a row, you’re out.

The salary is terrible. They talk up the commission percentage and rates, it sounds like a good deal, but you won’t be able to pay rent during your first couple months on the job. That’s not an exaggeration, it’s a frequent problem.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the harsh policies that cut beneficial people from the team for arbitrary reasons and reconsider the base salary. Ambitious people already find MSH attractive, there’s no need to be sociopathic about policies.

Nov 19, 2018 – SVP Sales

I appreciate your review. I’m glad that you mentioned our incredible team members and world-class training and onboarding program that sets our new reps up for success from Day 1. I do disagree... More

10. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great relationship with upper management.

Cons

Communication in employee procedures.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep everything transparent!

Oct 31, 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m glad that you are enjoying being a part of our team, working closely with upper management and leadership to ensure success as we grow! I also appreciate your feedback... More