Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor

Main Street Hub Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people to work with, but often felt like a day care center (in 21 reviews)

• Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Change coming from the upper management level happens quickly, but making changes yourself can be arduous (in 25 reviews)

• Also it's cold calling so you need to be prepared to make over a 100 phone calls a day to some rude business owners (in 19 reviews)

1. "Good start up inside sales"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great training program for introduction to sales

Cons

poor management moving forward with company

Advice to Management

more enthusiasm

Apr 4, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you for this review. I’m glad that you noted our industry-leading training program. Our team is growing fast, and as we grow, we are making strides every day to help our reps be successful as ... More

2. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work around, wonderful leadership, a barista, WONDERFUL leadership, opportunities to move within the company,GREAT company values, fast paced and able to help local businesses thrive!

Cons

Cold calling, rude people on occasion, constantly getting over rejection.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing..maybe add match on the 401K plan

Apr 3, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you so much for this review! I am so proud that you not only noted our fantastic team and leadership, but all the opportunities you have to advance your career at Main Street Hub while helping ... More

"Sales Rep at Main Street Hub"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible amounts of support and high-caliber training, friendly co-workers and earnest managers who genuinely care about your individual success, from team managers all the way up to executive management (it's not out of line or even unusual for me to have candid conversations with or ask for advice from someone like the SVP or a director)

Important to note as well is that the company walks the talk of Reverence for Local Business (one of the seven core values) from the sales process to the product and the nature of how we conduct our service. The respect we have for partners/customers is baked into the core psychology of everyone in the building, as well as the operations itself. You know, walking in each morning, you're genuinely doing good for the people you're selling to and filling a deep need for each business owner you talk too. Which, of course, takes a lot of the pain of being a "salesman" or "telemarketer" out of the equation and in turn feels more consultative and benevolent. That makes it easier on hard days and makes it easier and more satisfying to actually guide these small businesses into a smart investment that in turn bolsters their ability to serve their communities more efficiently but also better provide for themselves and their families with more peace-of-mind

Cons

It's still a sales office, the pressure's on to ensure a healthy income and job security. Because of a very short cycle (optimal is 3 days, typical is around a week) commission may be comparatively small on a per-deal basis (most deals can range anywhere from $300-$700) so you have to make a lot to do decently well.

Advice to Management

none, they're running a good ship

Mar 28, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m excited to hear that as a member of our ATX Sales Team, you are growing and thriving. I’m so happy that you feel supported while surrounded by your talented teammates and ... More

"Save yourself the trouble and go anywhere else."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro to working in this content department are (some of) the people you'll meet within it. A lot of the people here are great at what they do and INCREDIBLY overqualified for the jobs they're performing.

It's cool to have beer on tap too, I guess, when they actually stay on top of ordering the kegs. You don't get free breakfast anymore, because the company is cheapening out on nearly everything as a means to make money, money, money, but they recently added Cheez-Its to the snack lineup. Woohoo.

Cons

Where do I even begin? Wildly talented writers and designers succumb to the promise of an amazing culture, free beer!!!, great snacks!!!, total "transparency", and "upward mobility".

During training, you're force fed elementary-level design skills and pressed to create unique pieces of content for a portfolio of customers the majority of the floor can't even maintain. Okay, fast forward three weeks, and you'll be scrolling through your peers' pages looking for copy/paste-able captions and ideas so you don't have to come up with any yourself. You'll go through responding to reviews with the same monotone response to point where your eyes will glaze over. You'll "reach out to" (essentially poach) people on Twitter, and you'll quickly find that people don't actually want to be bothered by some random auto shop or pizza joint. I guess if you can manage the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V functions on your keyboard all day, the job is basically idiot-proof.

Let's talk about compensation. The base salary for the majority of jobs on the content floor are barely live-able. Sure, many of them are entry-level positions, but it's time to get real. You won't hang on to employees for long if you pay them such a small salary they're forced to live well outside the city lines then commute in by car and pay $300/month to park in the downtown area. Oh, and did I mention that the recently increased workloads company-wide but didn't offer any more compensation as a result? Thus, you have Main Street Hub's laughably high turnover rate!

Now, let's say you're one of the poor souls who has really bought into the MSH mission. You're somehow passionate about the monotonous work you're doing, and your manager has put some bugs in your ear: "You should get in on the ground floor of some beta tests and try out new products!" "Why don't you join some of the extra teams on the floor and drive impact there?" Cool, okay, so you'll throw yourself into other projects to compensate for the lack of innovation and inspiration you'll get from the work you're actually supposed to be doing. You'll feel like you're making an impact, and maybe your teammates and peers and even your manager will notice. You'll feel really accomplished! Then comes promotion time.

Promotions at MSH are akin to someone from a different high school voting for your school's prom king and queen. People who have no idea who you are, have no measure of the work you do besides a series of incredibly flawed metrics, get to decide whether you're worthy of a pathetic raise. They're trying to make the whole process more competitive, though, as a means to, once again, make money, money money. Those aforementioned metrics? Yeah, they are so unbelievably messed up that everyone from the content department all the way up to the CEOs are well aware, but they're clueless as to how to fix them. Don't worry too much about them, though. Virtually nobody cares if you're driving any sort of engagement the other 50 weeks out of the year, but those two weeks surrounding promotion time, it's the only topic of conversation.

When you finally see the light and realize the sham that is Main Street Hub and you start to look for other jobs, be weary. The company owns the rights to every piece of content you create for them, so you'll have absolutely nothing to show physically for your work. Good luck trying to explain to future employers how your engagement was ranked, circling back to those messy metrics. Lucky for you, most companies will see you for your talent and work ethic and will overlook your oversight for spending any ounce of time churning out mindless content at Main Street Hub. If you can work anywhere else - if you can freelance, start your own SM company instead, anything - do that. Unless you're in the market to make a few friends and get paid an ungenerous salary to do so. I guess that's your upside.

Advice to Management

Again, where do I even begin? To the upper management and CEOs: WAKE. UP. You're not stupid, and you're not clueless, so why are you letting this company crumble at the foundation? Profitability and money will come in time. For now, reinvest in your employees. Make good on the cultural promise you shove down people's throats during the absurdly long and arduous interview process. Actually listen when people come to you with legitimate worries about workplace satisfaction. If you're going to claim transparency, BE TRANSPARENT. You all dance around questions and concerns when you don't feel like answering them, then you wonder why people aren't happy. Give the content department a little bit of credit and recognition - without them, you wouldn't even have a company. This isn't rocket science. In fact, it's the furthest thing from it. Take some pride in the work you're doing and the product you're presenting.

Mar 28, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for this feedback. We’re happy you noted the incredible team here, particularly the creative and talented people on the Content Team. As a company, we challenge each other and ourselves to be ... More

"Great Leadership"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Main Street Hub has a great leadership that is keen on helping each person succeed

Cons

This is a hard job. Cold calling just isn't easy and you have to accept that going in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and make sure you do a good job teaching reps how to become strong closers

Mar 21, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m happy to hear that you are excited to be working with our phenomenal leadership on our ATX Sales Team. They are dedicated to helping Reps grow their careers and develop ... More

"Self source or fail"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great values and solid training.

Cons

Success HEAVILY depends on self sourcing leads and you are not told that up front when interviewing or being trained. I will take responsibility for not being proactive in asking but, I see it as misleading.

Advice to Management

Be upfront.

Mar 24, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review. I’m excited that you truly appreciate our team, values, and training program. We have a world-class team and because we’re all living our values, we are able to support each ... More

"Companies like this ruin the appeal of working at a startup and social company"

Former Employee - Platform Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Platform Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the layer of discontent and unhappiness is extreme, everyone keeps it pretty chill on the surface. They used to have good snacks and food and beer but had to pull way back on it.

Cons

Terrible management, good old boy system at it's worst. Management is very aware sales and customer team members are disposable. They sell everyone very hard on opportunities to move up. They use the term "meritocracy" to describe the performance reward system, but that is laughable. Do not get involved with people who work here. They are desperate for promotions and to stand out and as a result go out of their way to make team members look bad (make casual comments people had too much to drink at the Christmas party, catty and superficial ugliness.)

This place is a headache that underpays and looks terrible on your resume. Avoid and work for a small business doing social marketing if you really want to help local heroes. You will hate yourself every day for how under served your clients will be here.

Advice to Management

Your company as it stands deserves to be weeded out. Let Darwinism take its course and keep doing what you guys are doing. You have had an abundance of feedback on work conditions and life and have ignored it. Have fun going down with that ship.

Apr 14, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for your review. We appreciate the chance to talk about the growth opportunities available to our teammates as well as the product and customer experience. You suggested that the potential ... More

"Would Rather Be Homeless"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hmmm... the people were pretty cool.

Cons

I was so bummed by what a terrible experience I had here, as I really wanted it to be a positive one. The management, or lack there of, is all over the place. They kept acting like they would consider employee feedback, and then make some drastic change that would negatively affect our entire Account Management floor. It was like an unhealthy, toxic relationship that you begin to feel trapped in... continued hope of things getting better, and then boom. Sheer disappointment, frustration, and just anger. Most of my days were spent defending typos is posts created by over-worked Content Managers, or getting yelled at because our product was actually detrimental to business' success. I finally reached a point where I just felt morally and ethically disturbed to selling this product to sweet local business owners, knowing I was setting them up for their own toxic, entrapping relationship with Main Street Hub.

They are looking to hire people that aren't smart, so they will put their heads down, read a script, and not be alarmed or questioning of any of their incredibly incompetent business decisions. Literally lmao at MSH "management." Oh! And there is no room to grow, improve or make any more money at all so don't even get me started on that.

Truthfully, I came here to write my review, and want to know who they paid to leave the positive ones on this page. There is honestly just no way. Working here was so unbelievably awful y'all, and everyone around me was so miserable as well that I couldn't even pretend to be positive about it in any way. The toxicity began seeping into all aspects of my life, and I couldn't escape it. I took a huge pay cut just to leave, and I am so much happier (just generally not depressed lol). Even if I hadn't been able to find another job or accept a lower paying one, after the nine longest months of my life, I would rather be homeless than spend another day of my precious life at Main Street Hub.

I pray for my friends that are still there everyday that they are able to escape and find peace and harmony in the booming job market that consumes Austin, Texas. Best of luck to everyone seeking a job, but please know, there is a reason that they are always so aggressively hiring...

Advice to Management

Literally just get some management at all...

Apr 3, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for this review and for the chance to offer our perspective. Our account managers are our connection to our customers. They are passionate about helping our local business customers, and they ... More

"Good product."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Main Street hub had a great team. Great leader great pitch. Great people. They care about there employees (until shown other wise) they want people to grow and succeed. They also have great breakfast on mondays. And beer on tape but that's just extra.

Cons

Learn to love cold calling. It's hard not for everyone. Pressure of getting sales and having to make sales to keep a position. If your new you'll be treated like a newbie. Not enough microwaves at lunch.

Advice to Management

Believe more in the newbies that leave training.

Mar 3, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! I’m so happy that while you were a member of our ATX Sales Team, you had a great experience with our supportive team and excellent leadership, and that you see value in our ... More

"Dont waste your time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, catered meals, beer on tap, ping pong table

Cons

long drawn out 3 step interview process that is an absolute waste of time. They don't have parking. Lousy product that depends upon small business owners not understanding technology and is already obselete.

Advice to Management

invest in r+d and sell something else

Mar 21, 2017 – SVP Sales

I appreciate you pointing out our perks in this review -- like our competitive compensation package, free snacks and drinks, and local beer on tap, but what we are really proud of is our team and our ... More