Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor

Main Street Hub Reviews

Updated August 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, but often felt like a day care center (in 21 reviews)

• Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Change coming from the upper management level happens quickly, but making changes yourself can be arduous (in 25 reviews)

• Also it's cold calling so you need to be prepared to make over a 100 phone calls a day to some rude business owners (in 19 reviews)

"Sales Representative"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. World-class management (CEOs, VPs, Directors, and Managers are all unbelievable people)
    2. Service and product are best in the industry
    3. Great career opportunity
    4. Modern downtown office with great perks

Cons

None. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Advice to Management

I have been a sales rep here for a year and, despite my initial concerns about Main Street Hub, have fallen in love with both my job and this company.

I accepted this job for a number of reasons, but my initial hesitations were:

1. Main Street Hub has had a high attrition rate in their sales office. Will I dislike the job? Will I not do well at this job?

2. How good is Main Street Hub's service? Do they actually deliver on their promises to local business owners who sign up for their service?

3. Can I trust the management? If I accept a 20k base, will they deliver on the opportunity for me to build a successful career and make a lot of money?

A year into my tenure here, I can now proudly say that I've done really well at this job, Main Street Hub provides an unbelievable product, and the management is top notch.

1. Main Street Hub does have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince, but that's just a systematic, inescapable reality of entry-level sales. That affliction is not unique to Main Street Hub. If you are smart, personable, you word hard, and are committed to implementing feedback from your manager, you will succeed and make great money. The reps that don't succeed at Main Street Hub fall short on at least one of those four attributes

2. Main Street Hub's service is unbelievable. Since I started working here a year ago, Main Street Hub has had their nose to the grindstone reinventing their customer experience and finding ways to improve their product. Account Managers are no longer rewarded for up selling customers to a more expensive plan, they are compensated based on their retention rate. We now create brand kits and marketing kits for our customers to approve - our content teams use these kits to represent their brands online. We have added Instagram to all of our packages without changing our pricing. I've looked at the social media pages for customers I've signed up and they all look great. Main Street Hub has delivered on everything that I've been telling local business owners from day 1, and they continue to improve both product and service.

3. There are currently about 200 sales reps here, by the way. On any given month, the 100th best rep makes about $1,700 in commission (pacing for 40k/year), and the 30th best rep makes about $5,000 in commission (pacing for 80k/year). The management is very trustworthy, transparent, and well-qualified which puts both this company and I in a position for continued future success.

For all of those reasons I love working for this company. I could go on to talk about the people and culture, which is also A+, but I digress.

May 31, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you for this review! I’m excited that you are really embracing the opportunity you have on the ATX Sales Team at Main Street Hub. I agree with you-- if you are ready to work hard and are... More

"CSM/Account Manager"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Met some great friends there.

Cons

Turnover. This is a churn and burn environment. It's hard to be successful in this role when the goals change every other month (Oh and your pay structure changes too).

With a "focus on local", we are forced to be "ticky - tacky" with billing choices because of unrealistic personal goals. Customers end up resenting MSH because they were told one thing by sales, and another by us. Sold a pipe dream, and AM's have to deal with untangling that mess.

When someone gets fired (happens almost weekly). Your desk will be cleaned in front of your co-workers during business hours which leads to lots of gossip on the floor. Making it hard to keep a clear head and clean perception of everything.

Look, it's a job, it's not a day care, but the role is a glorified call center, waiting for someone to call in and complain about something we posted wrong or complain about why a promotion didn't go well on one of their pages.

I've seen the bathroom overflow multiple times (it seeps into the carpet floor), people go off in rooms and cry and have mental break downs, and people scream on the phone right next to me.

Advice to Management

Stoppp writing these fake reviews on Glassdoor, Google etc to make this company look better for the 90384098 interviewees that you have coming in for the 94039853 people you just fired. Flocks of people are leaving the company because of the culture that the company breeds.

Jul 11, 2017 – COO

Thanks for this feedback and for the chance to offer my perspective on some points you made in your review. First, I want to mention that our Account Managers are our main connection with our local... More

3. "Great place to learn new skills, hone old ones, and advance your career"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best executive and leadership teams I've worked with - devoted to the company and their teams, and care about providing a great workplace. Really great, non-political environment. I've worked at a lot of large tech companies, and this one is by far the most functional.

Cons

I've worked here for over 2 years now, and I can honestly say that any cons get addressed pretty quickly when brought up to management - as the company grows, sometimes roles are resourced as efficiently as they could be, but the team leads try and address these problems as quickly as they can.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees when they have concerns - you've done a good job at this, and I hope it stays that way.

May 26, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for this review! You noted that Main Street Hub is a place where you can “learn new skills, hone old ones, and advance your career.” We really appreciate you highlighting these aspects of our... More

"Eh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Main Street Hub (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast in the morning

Cons

It's cold calling. It's never not going to be cold calling.

Advice to Management

Eh

Jun 6, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thanks for the chance to offer my perspective. Working on our Sales Teams in ATX and NYC is a great way to develop professionally and accelerate your career, all while working in a positive... More

5. "Immense Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are growing quickly, innovating constantly, and achieving incredible results -- which means the opportunity at all levels, for all roles is constantly expanding. Team members who aren’t afraid to speak up and take on new projects will find working at Main Street Hub exciting and rewarding.

I also receive a ton of support, mentorship, and professional development opportunities from my manager. I feel valued, my job is challenging, and I still learn new things every day.

Cons

I’ve been here for a few years and have never had a day when I didn’t want to come to work. There are really no cons for me.

Advice to Management

It’s been amazing to see our results soar. Keep hiring amazing team members and focusing on our customers.

May 23, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thank you! When we first started this company, we wanted to create a mission-driven organization where any team member who wanted to make an impact could do so. Since then, we have created an... More

6. "Great Company and Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub (More than a year)

Pros

Love the direction of the company. They are really achieving their best ever results for the customers and providing them with better and better products. They have invested in me and my development and I really enjoy the work environment here. Everyone works hard but it is still fun.

Cons

No big cons but I have a long commute to get here. It's well worth it though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and keep us all focused on the right things to better serve our customers.

May 23, 2017 – Co-CEO

We’re so proud that you describe Main Street Hub as a great company and place to work, and that we’re also very excited about achieving our best-ever results for our local business customers with our... More

7. "Talented Team with a Great Mission"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Main Street Hub 2 years ago for two reasons. First, I was inspired by the mission of the company - helping local businesses to be successful. Second, I was impressed by the leadership team's strong desire to build a successful company by hiring the most talented people.

Two years later, the two reasons that brought me to MSH continue to be why I remain highly motivated at MSH and would like to contribute my best effort going forward. Living in Austin where a vibrant local community is one of its main attractions, I have found great camaraderie with my colleagues who share my desire to help local businesses everywhere to thrive in their communities. People around me are also the best teammates I have ever worked with. They are talented, driven, and most of all, just genuinely great human beings.

I definitely count my blessings every day for the privilege of working with awesome people who are passionate about serving our awesome customers.

Cons

One person's con might be another person's opportunity. There are no shortage of opportunities for people who want to make a great impact to step up during time of change, challenge themselves, and learn a great deal along the way.

Advice to Management

People make all the differences. Continue to pour energy into hiring, challenging, and growing talented people.

May 23, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for this review! And in particular, thank you for focusing on the quality of the team in your review. We’re fortunate to have a mission, culture, and team that attract outstanding colleagues... More

8. "Inside sales representative"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Awesome Team, terrific corporate leadership

Cons

I can't think of anything

May 9, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you for this review! I’m so glad that you mentioned our awesome team and incredible leaders. Our teams in Austin and NYC are supporting each other every day to be successful while we work hard... More

9. "Positive Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy! Everyone cares about your success here. A startup small enough to invest in and listen to it's employees but large enough to offer resources, training, etc. Good work/life balance.

Cons

You will be pushed here to give your all - but that's a good thing if that's what you want!

May 3, 2017 – SVP Sales

Thank you for this review! I’m so glad that you mentioned our incredible team and how “everyone cares about your success here.” I couldn’t agree more. Because we are elevating and supporting one... More

"Comprehensive review of Sales Rep position, as of March 2017"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working here about 6 months and love my job. It's not perfect though, and I want to leave a very honest review.

This is a very rapidly growing startup, so this GS change here all the time. I'm writing this review in March of 2017, but things could change if you're reading this several months later.

This is basically a telemarketing job, but somehow it's swanky. We cold call independently owned businesses around the country, try to get to the owner, and then pitch them our product if they're interested. The pitch takes about 60-90 minutes depending on how many questions they have. If you close a deal, you'll make anywhere between $225 and $1225, depending on the package you sell, and the commission structure you're on. The business you sign up pays on a monthly basis after you close them.

The hours are 8:30am - 5:30pm.

Benefits include fully paid insurance, and 15 days PTO.

Currently, this is the pay:

- 20K base pay + commission + 5% residuals.

- Residuals is 5% every month of what all the businesses you've ever closed down are still paying you. (You only get residuals after you've been here for at least 6 months). Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals.

- Commission is determined by performance. The top 20% of sales reps earn 125% commission of the first month's payment. The middle 30% earn 100% commission, and the bottom 50% of reps earn 75% commission.

- So if you are in the middle 100%, and you close down $1500 in a month, then your take home (without residuals, and before tax) would be about $3100 in a month.

- If you're in the top 20%, and you close down $4500 worth of deals, then you're take home (without residuals and before tax) would be $7225 in a month.

- If you don't sell anything, you'll make $1600.

So there is definitely some opportunity to make great money. I'm in the top 20% so I make great money. But it's definitely a kill-your-own-meat kind of job. I have some coworkers who are earning 6 figures, but there are some people who are skating by on $30K a year.

Also, there is no included parking. I live close to work so I bike, but I know some of my coworkers are paying close to $400/month for a parking garage. Yikes.

This is an entry level sales position. You don't need any experience. The training here is very intensive, and the management is extremely supportive. There are definitely people who struggle here, but the only people who FAIL either (1) don't like it, (2) don't work hard enough, or (3) aren't very trainable, meaning they don't follow the process and don't listen to their managers. I'd say about 50% of people who accept this job drop out for one of those above reasons. Everybody else finds a way to succeed, even if they have a hard time of it.

Honestly, this job is super easy if you are trainable. If you have tons of sales experience, prepare to set aside a lot of what you know. Be ready to come to this job fresh, curious, and willing to learn. We literally read a script. All our responses and rebuttals are scripted. I read the script pretty much verbatim, and do very well at this job.

We have a great office in downtown Austin. The sales department has their own office building separated from the other teams. Because of that our office is pretty crazy! We listen to loud music all day, people are loud, we ring a big gong any time somebody closes a deal. It kinda reminds me of The Wolf of Wall Street in terms of it's high energy craziness. Or of a sports team before a big game. This intensity is pretty necessary to stay focused and not get too bored since we are just cold calling businesses all day.

The product is wonderful. We sell do-it-for-you social media management, and it's truly impressive how comprehensive and modern our product is. In training you will be very impressed when you learn about it!! I feel really good about our product because it truly helps small independently owned businesses.

Success here is built on positive reinforcement. You do not get reprimanded for doing poorly, but you get heavily rewarded for doing well. Every day we have games and competitions to win extra cash and nice gifts. When you do well, directors and even executives will come give you a high five and cheer you on. It's a very positive and supportive environment.

There's a lot of room to grow with this company. If you are a hard worker, a good performer, and you are interested in leadership, you will move up, probably in less than a year. This company is growing crazy fast. If you want to find yourself in a high up position, start now, and work hard. This company is going places, and now is the perfect time to start.

One thing I really like about this company is our values. I recommend learning about MSH’s core values. We really do live up to them.

Cons

Okay so here are my biggest issues with the job:

There's very little diversity. I'm a woman, and less than a third of the office is female. There’s definitely some ethnic diversity, with a lot of brown people, but it's not properly representative of Austin. Also, this office is very young. So if you're a woman, older than 40, or brown, please come work here! It would make the office more pleasant for everyone if we had better diversity.

It's really, really boring sometimes. You literally have to make 50-100 phone calls every single day just to close one or two deals a week. The monotony requires great discipline.

Management is very strict about scheduling! There is basically no flexibility. You have to be there from 8:30-5:30. Lunch is from 12-1. If you are back from lunch at 1:01, you're late! You won't get fired but they make a huge deal about it. It's honestly the thing that has upset me the most about this job. It feels like they're treating us as children. But you get used to it. Everybody works a minimum of 40 hours a week, but there are a lot of folks who work more like 50 hours a week.

Overall, I love this job. I'm a college dropout in my mid twenties with about 5 years of previous sales experience. I do very well here. I haven't started earning residuals, but even without those, I'm on track to earn about $75K/year. I love love love my manager and our leadership team. I have a lot of fun here, we play a lot of games. I find myself laughing and dancing throughout most of the day. I feel valued and supported and LISTENED TO. I definitely plan on staying with this company for a few years.