Main Street Hub Social Media Community Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Main Street Hub Co-CEOs Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, but often felt like a day care center (in 22 reviews)

• Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Change coming from the upper management level happens quickly, but making changes yourself can be arduous (in 25 reviews)

• Also it's cold calling so you need to be prepared to make over a 100 phone calls a day to some rude business owners (in 19 reviews)

"Just fine"

Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Classic startup vibe if you're into that kind of thing, the software and product consistently improves, and your immediate manager will genuinely care about you.

Cons

The work is a little souless, and you will be sold on the whole 'helping small businesses' party line, but realistically your work will not be important, and that can be a little difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

Keep improving, keep treating your employees well, and instead of offering free parking to the people in the company who make more than enough in their salary to actually pay for it, consider offering free parking on a merit basis.

Nov 29, 2016 – SVP Customer Operations

Thanks for sharing a little bit more about your experience on our Content Team at Main Street Hub. I’m glad you highlighted our supportive management team and stellar product and technology that we... More

"Just another tech industry cult"

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tech on the community manager side makes it possible to manage tech for all kinds of businesses. Pretty interesting. Cool people work there. Don't be shy.

Cons

Just a toxic environment for the truly creative person. Your ideas aren't important. You are a cog in the machine. Your managers are generally brainwashed, vapid morons who's job entails babysitting you with some patronizing attitude. If they removed culture from management strategy, the place would be a lot better.

Jul 18, 2016 – Co-CEO

Thank you for this review. We are grateful that you highlighted our unique product, fantastic team, and opportunities to Speak Up -- one of our core values -- to offer feedback and effect change... More

"Hope this helps someone make the right decision for them..."

Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager
    Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

They've really nailed the type of people they want to hire here. I've never worked with a group of people who are smarter, more creative, and most of all friendly. You can ask any questions you feel you need to, and just about anyone is happy to answer. There can still be a bit of a clique-y feel here and there, but overall it's really easy to make friends.

Cons

When I first joined this company I was 100% all about this job. By the time I left, I was completely disillusioned, and I'm thankful to no longer be there. The why:

1. The product is mediocre and completely impersonal. I'd almost be able to still back it if it weren't for the fact that the company isn't at ALL honest with incoming writers or their customers about what they're actually offering. My job wasn't a writing job with a chance to build a solid portfolio, as I'd hoped; rather, it was more like an assembly line job that called for a fraction of the creativity I was told. I can't be behind a product I wouldn't use myself, and I'd never use this product as it is now for my own business.

2. I don't like the pressure this place puts on people to fit into their culture. A truly creative environment should foster all types of personalities, and instead in my time there I saw a number of great people passed over for leadership positions simply because they weren't a "culture fit," meaning they had the presence of mind to question and want to change the way some things were done. They still loved the company and what it stood for, they were still highly intelligent and creative...they just wanted to put out the best work they could. There is also this hidden tendency to try to pressure people to quit by putting them on warnings and probations for tiny things that other people do all that time. A few people went through those, too. It's pretty much floor-wide, far as I can tell. We had it easy. There are other departments where people were terrified of losing their jobs month to month.

3. A real lack of true employee appreciation there. You don't receive much recognition for the things you do well unless you're lucky enough to have a supervisor who implements something just for their team. Otherwise, you receive very little in the way of encouragement. I still remember hearing a person ask one of the CEO's whether there might be a pay raise in the future for the people there (my position got paid way less than others who did the same in the same industry), and the CEO's answer was essentially "we feel like we pay you well enough sooooo... no." Which was sort of a slap in the face for all the work everyone was expected to do. That's the other thing:

4. In my position -- I can't speak for the others, but I can speak for mine-- , you were expected to keep a book more than 10 times the industry standard. People took work home and worked on weekends quite often, despite the initial sell of not having to do that. When told that this was unfair, CEO's and upper management answered basically with "well, we did the math and you should be able to do this amount when pushed to the very limit, so it's fair." Seriously, just because a mathematical equation says a human being CAN do something doesn't mean that they SHOULD. Quality and creativity often suffered due to this, and there seemed to be very little interest in fixing the issue. An absolute shame.

Advice to Management

If your workforce isn't happy, you won't get the best results. Telling them that they should just be happy with your company because you say so without offering competitive pay or decent work scheduling or a more welcoming work environment isn't enough. Focus on caring for your people as much or more as you focus on getting new customers (honestly, I might add), and you might find that you no longer have to force your people to work massive amounts to make ends meet.

Jan 21, 2016 – Co-CEO

Thanks for this review. We appreciate your note about our amazing team of smart, driven, and creative people at Main Street Hub. We also appreciate the opportunity to offer our perspective on the... More

"An ever-changing, value-centric environment that will teach you more than you could ever imagine."

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The day you walk into Main Street Hub is the day you find yourself a second family. You will work around some of the most creative, intelligent, hilarious people you can find, and you will more than likely meet some friends for life. The people are seriously great, but they're not the only reason that working at MSH is such an incredible journey -- you will learn what it means to really commit yourself to something (that's a good thing, I promise), and you'll learn to work hard for the things you want. To push back on some other reviews I've read about MSH, there is absolutely room for the hungry to grow, but be ready to work for it and be more proactive than you've ever been before when it comes to deciding what your story will be. As you figure out what you want, you'll be busy learning from the amazing people around you, writing content you care about, and enjoying how much we're growing and changing each and every day (again, this is a good thing). Main Street Hub is a growing, learning powerhouse -- are there issues? Yes, of course, but in the past months, I've watched leadership work tirelessly to improve. Across the company, most people really are committed to making something incredible.

Cons

Change takes time, and if you're not ready to work hard while that change takes place, MSH won't be the place for you. Beyond that, the work load can be a lot, especially if you're not a deadline-driven person -- thankfully, there are plenty of resources who can help if this is an issue for you.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and trying to react with smart, human responses and solutions. Make sure the people you manage know that they can talk openly with you.

Dec 30, 2015 – Co-CEO

Thank you for this review! We are excited to hear that you have had such a rewarding experience here so far. Our team really is incredible and we are so proud of everything they have accomplished... More

"If you're young and talented, work elsewhere."

Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love laughter, come work here. Because once you start telling your friends, family, and strangers in the Austin business & startup community that you work at Main Street Hub, you'll get laughed at every time - guaranteed.

If you have a passion for offering up solely positive feedback and enjoy getting lectured and/or fired if you ever speak up about concerns or changes you'd like to see in the company, then oh, man - is Main Street the right street for you.

Do you enjoy working at companies that promote people based off favoritism? Here, that's the only way you'll ever see a raise of any sort, so be sure to suck up to all the managers starting on Day 1. And remember - don't ever question anything, ever. True rock stars would never voice their real opinions.

Are you a big fan of micromanagement? Welcome aboard.

Do you love working up to 20 hours of overtime a week on a low salary with no chances for overtime pay, raises, parking stipends, or bonuses? Perfect! MSH even offers beer for you during those long hours so you can drink to forget the pain.

If you enjoy using the phrases "crush it," "rock star," or "champion" unnecessarily several times a day, then MSH is surely the place for you.

Don't forget about the peanut butter pretzels. Pro tip: they taste best when mixed with your tears.

Cons

Working for local businesses is a great mission, and one that attracted me to the company. However, your book of customers is so large that it's physically impossible to provide high-quality work for each one. You end up using the same posts for many different customers, when they should be receiving localized, individual posts. By working here, you are doing local businesses a disservice.

Most content teams rarely see turnover. In one year at MSH, at least 25 community managers left the team. That might be a normal rate in a sales environment, but when you're writing for a content team at a company with "awesome culture" (aka: music plays over the speakers all day) and "awesome perks" (aka: beer, coffee, and an office downtown with no parking), and this many people are still quitting, then you know there's something wrong on a bigger scale.

The moment you ever voice an opinion here that isn't just positive, you'll get a target on your back and you will be silently punished. They may not fire you, but they will do everything they can to make you give up and quit. There's only so many times a person can be rejected from promotions before giving up, right?

The management team, including the CEOs, are disguised politicians. They make you feel heard; they make it seem like they're doing things behind the scenes to make the changes you're asking for. Only months later do you suddenly realize that those same issues were never changed or spoken about again.

If you are young, smart, creative, and willing to work hard for a good company, my advice is to take your talents elsewhere. You can get paid a lot more and do a lot less for other companies that actually have good reputations in town. I've seen too much brilliance go to waste at MSH due to office politics and awful management.

There's a reason this company spends so much money on "perks" - with this ridiculous rate of turnover, MSH has to try everything they can to continue attracting new employees.

Advice to Management

How to NOT effectively run a company:
    -See negative reviews on Glassdoor and subsequently give your entire content team an actual ultimatum to either say they are "all in" or resign.
    -Fire employees whom you wrongly assume wrote negative Glassdoor reviews in order to intimidate the rest of the content team into not writing negative reviews or ask any questions at work.
    -Watch as your entire content team becomes immersed in a new culture of fear and paranoia and thus all become too scared to ever speak their minds.
    -Lose all your employees one by one, until you have a whole new crop. Watch as the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed new CMs realize slowly what they've gotten themselves into.
    -Wash, rinse, repeat.

How TO effectively run a company:
    -Listen to your employees. When 90% of them have the same complaints, don't just address the complaints. Make the necessary changes.
    -Don't give your employees so much work that it becomes impossible to do quality work. Have some respect for your customers.
    -Focus on retaining your current employees so that you don't have to hire new ones who only stay 6-12 months before realizing that nothing at MSH will ever change, so they opt for better companies instead.
    -Realize the insane amount of talent you attract, and work hard to actually keep that talent around.

Nov 9, 2015 – Co-CEO

Thanks for your review and for giving us the chance to share our perspective. We’ll address some of the items in your review that are factually inaccurate, and we’ll confirm the items that are... More

"Kegs full of Kool-Aid"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy free beer, a free barista, and free tacos once a week, then this is the perfect place for you. But expect a tradeoff, in that you'll be working practically for free since you'll be so underpaid. And that you won't have much free time since you'll be so overworked. And that you won't ever feel free to speak up about those issues without immediately being shut down by your managers. And there are other things you aren't free to mention: like how every team is chronically understaffed--except Sales, because money, brah)--or how sophomoric the office politics are. Not that management won't listen to your concerns. They will listen, they will hear what you have to say, and then you can kiss any chance of personal or professional growth goodbye. But what do you expect when the people who get promoted aren't the most qualified or the top performers but instead are the cheerleaders who best echo the same insufferable "values." Some free advice? If you work here, go ahead and drink the beer, but not the kool-aid.

Cons

"Cons" is right. Management makes a lot of promises, just don't expect them to actually deliver. Maybe they will get to your issue sometime during the next quarter (they won't), if other problems don't get in the way first (they will). Things are always falling apart, whether its the half-baked technology unable to do the task you've been assigned, or another mass exodus of very disgruntled (and very exhausted) workers. At least they have a solution for the latter--by the time you save up enough energy to find a company that will invest more in you than it will in your perks, a whole new cohort of fresh-face UT graduates will be ready to replace you. And in general, that's how it feels here, regardless of what your actual title is. You are replaceable, upgradable, treated like just another hunk of junk technology. Except they won't invest as much in you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees not just with banal perks that they can find at practically any startup, but with a basic level of dignity and respect. That means listening to our concerns. When we say we're overworked, don't just say you'll fix it in training, because that just shifts responsibility and workload onto other people. It doesn't resolve the issue, it just makes it worse. When we actually try to participate more and develop new skills, don't just reward your favorite employees over and over, because the inevitable outcome is an echo chamber where you can't hear anything but the toots of your own horn. In that case "win-win-win" isn't a value, it's just meaningless noise. That's what's happening now and what's been happening for a long time, as far as anyone can tell. The same people get rewarded over and over again for never actually addressing the problem.

Sep 29, 2015 – SVP Product

A few weeks back, we asked the Content team to pick the Main Street Hub value that resonated most with them, and there was a clear leader -- Elevate Others. We lift up our customers and teammates... More

"Avoid, avoid, avoid."

Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers. Free things sometimes. An intriguing concept for a job that's fun at first.

Cons

First, I'd suggest reading through the 5-star reviews here and noting how many of them say that the only cons of working at MSH are the "growing pains" of start-up life. Most of these are not authentic reviews. This job is full of creative writers. There's no way they're all going to write the same scripted 5-star review.

Secondly, I'd recommend taking a look at the responses to negative reviews here. This is one part of the work you'd be doing as a community manager, and the review responses by MSH's management are just as scripted and insincere as the review responses they have us write for our jobs. The only difference? They're way longer, more defensive, and spouting lectures about how the reviewer didn't elevate others or show respect for local business -- without addressing the core issue or complaint at hand. So, technically, MSH's own review responses don't meet the proper criteria for the ones we write for small businesses. (Maybe you need your own community manager to help take the edge off? Clearly, these hit close to home.)

Take note of both of these things, because they are signs of what's to come if you choose to work here. You'd better smile and nod as much as possible, because management does not listen to genuine concerns. They will, however, talk your ear off about their "values." So you know, if you're into that, go right ahead.

Also, note any similarities in the wording of the 5-star reviews and the MSH management review responses? Come on, guys. Try a tiny bit harder to switch it up, at least.

Advice to Management

Don't troll Glassdoor and fire employees because you think they left negative reviews.

Nov 5, 2015 – Co-CEO

Thanks for leaving this review. There’s an important difference between the work we do for our customers on customer review websites and our approach to responding to reviews on Glassdoor: our... More

"9/10 -- could use more dogs."

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's so much I love about this company.

Number 1) If you like people, you'll love this job. I work with ~hands down~ the coolest, most talented, driven, and wonderful team. People can say WHATEVER they want about millennials -- MSH's team will prove you wrong every time. MSH is all about cultivating a culture of openness, respect and fun. Everyone is always elevating everyone, and the atmosphere is just everything I hoped for from a job.

Number 2) Coming straight from University, I was worried that the transition from student life in Europe to corporate life in America would be terrible. MSH is a start-up that seemingly exists between the two. The dialogue is consistent. The management is understanding. Your managers are involved and engaged. The atmosphere is fun. Sure, the work is hard, but you aren't thrown into the deep end alone. You're at a pool party -- there's beer, you're surrounded by fun people, and someone is probably wearing flip-flops.

Number 3) Management knows how much is asked of you, and it is acknowledged consistently. Sometimes it's acknowledged verbally, and sometimes it's acknowledged by happy hours, team boat parties, beer on tap, being surprised with (more) breakfast tacos, pizza, and ice-cream

Number 4) It's a start-up that seems to be growing so well and so quickly. This means you want to get hired NOW. At the minute, there is so much room for growth, and I'm genuinely excited to see where I'm going to be in a year. I'm gunning for third CEO.

Number 5) As a CM (I can't speak for all other departments), I never wake up thinking "Oh, man -- I really wish I didn't have to work today." I'm never at work willing 6pm to come around. It never hits Wednesday, and I'm crying for the weekend to arrive. Two reasons for this: I'm SO busy that time flies, and I'm enjoying myself so much, so I have no reason not to want to be here.

Number 6) The Team Leads are all amazing. You will have a very close, friendly, fun relationship with your TL, and it makes everything so much better. They're all great, but I did get the best one.

There's probably more reasons, but I am actually at work now, so I should do some more of that. If you're anything like me (extroverted, motivated, and creative), you'll probably love it. If you're not? You'll probably love it all the same.

Cons

Number 1) Why is there beer on tap, but no wine on tap? Why does everyone insist that beer isn't fundamentally the worst? Is everyone lying to me?

Number 2) It's a start-up. It's got growing pains. It's like a 12 year old -- it's just starting to try and figure its stuff out, and it doesn't always get it right. Sometimes the technology breaks. Then the technology is fixed. It's maturing into a fully formed start-up, and in order to do that, it has to go through its awkward phase. If you're not following -- you need to be willing to work in a company that you're willing to adapt when things go wrong as it grows.

Number 3) The building has a 'no dogs' policy. It's a start-up in downtown Austin -- it needs dogs.

Advice to Management

Push for wine on tap. Keep being transparent and open, keep showing that you care about your employees, and keep investing more in all of us.

Aug 5, 2015 – co-CEO

Thank you for such an awesome review. We love that you started it by writing about the team. We agree that the best thing about the company is the group of people we get to work with.

When we... More

"Seems great but is a total bust"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some great people on the Community Manager team. There are also some huge creeps. You will hear sexist, racist, and homophobic jokes and insults.

Cons

Haven't raised salaries since they were set 5 years ago. CEOs and managers treat you like an unruly child if you don't have a smile plastered on your face, even though this is the first time managing. Beg for feedback then reprimand you if its not 110% positive. Overwork the team and act like you're crazy if you take work home. Is becoming a joke in Austin start up culture. Very strict hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You don't know everything. Raise salaries. Take a step back and trust your employees -- you don't need to micro manage everything.

Aug 5, 2015 – co-CEO

Thank you for sharing this feedback. Most importantly, we’re concerned to read about the kinds of comments you’ve heard. Our team thrives on its diversity. Any discriminatory comments, actions, or... More

"While a great company, I don't feel we all work in unison"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel people in my department invest in me.
    Pretty collaborative for the most part.
    People are honest when you ask for feedback.
    People also seek out feedback from you.
    Culture is fun.

Cons

It seems that there aren't the same expectations between departments.
    Sometimes I feel talked down to when interacting with other departments.
    While it's understandable that some aspects of the job are open-ended, sometimes it feels too open-ended to where there isn't a clear expectation of how to apply feedback.
    Work-life balance is a struggle, but your team and higher-ups makes a good effort to help.

Advice to Management

While I appreciate the work I do, I don't think expectations are the same between different departments. I think keeping that in mind will help us improve on reaching the same goals.

Aug 5, 2015 – co-CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write up such thoughtful feedback. We’re glad to read that you find the environment fun and collaborative, and we’re especially pleased that you’ve enjoyed the... More